• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

When will tribe die?

kuba

TRIBE Member
I have been visiting this website for very long time and I have found a lot of value in the contributions by the members. The site has given me an enormous amount of humor some terrific friendships and overall great memories. But I often wonder when will this website close and a part of history close forever?

My guess is 2018.

Will be a sad day.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
as a music site it died years ago.

instead of fighting about the best drugs/parties/dj's, its now babies/mortgages/advertising/politics

other than the mom thread and the sports threads all the other threads are ghost towns

JamesM

TRIBE Member
pretty much douchebags that have a second life a palm reader, predict the end of tribe every 4 years or so.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I started the site 20 years ago this month, and people have predicted it would die from day 1.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
When a message board runs out of hydrogen fuel, it will contract under the weight of gravity. However, some hydrogen fusion will occur in the main forum. As the core contracts, it heats up. This heats the top posts, causing them to expand. As the top posts expand, the radius of the board will increase and it will become a red giant. The radius of the red giant board will be just beyond the capacity of your mobile device. At some point after this, the board will become hot enough to cause the helium to fuse into carbon. When the helium fuel runs out, the main forum will expand and cool. The top posts will expand and eject material that will collect around the dying board to form a message board nebula. Finally, the board will cool into a white dwarf and then eventually into a black dwarf. This entire process will take a few billion years.

[fig. - black dwarf message board]

acheron

TRIBE Member
When a message board runs out of hydrogen fuel, it will contract under the weight of gravity. However, some hydrogen fusion will occur in the main forum. As the core contracts, it heats up. This heats the top posts, causing them to expand. As the top posts expand, the radius of the board will increase and it will become a red giant. The radius of the red giant board will be just beyond the capacity of your mobile device. At some point after this, the board will become hot enough to cause the helium to fuse into carbon. When the helium fuel runs out, the main forum will expand and cool. The top posts will expand and eject material that will collect around the dying board to form a message board nebula. Finally, the board will cool into a white dwarf and then eventually into a black dwarf. This entire process will take a few billion years.
See? Eventually Tribe will contract until it's nothing but the 'Core Room. alexd has been planning this for years.

kuba

TRIBE Member
alexd, whether you saw the shift in communication coming or not, surely you must agree this form of tribe will perhaps die off and morph into another form one day.

or, maybe not.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
One day the discourse will be about grand kids, menopause and alzheimers.

Last edited:

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I think Tribe will die when Rob Ford leaves office. That is the only thread that seems to create traffic on this site consistently. IMO.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
alexd, whether you saw the shift in communication coming or not, surely you must agree this form of tribe will perhaps die off and morph into another form one day.

or, maybe not.

Forum communities still have a lot of value to add to the internet IMO.

Since I started my ad network for forums, FORUMCAST, I have been working with different forum publishers around the world to help them monetize their communities and I have discovered that many many awesome forums still exist in their own niches away from Facebook and they show no signs of going away either.

Facebook, while good to keep in touch with friends and family around the world, has become a place of clickbait fluff news stories, baby pictures, and stupid text-on-image platitudes that is not about community. I read today that 1/5th of humanity logs into Facebook at least once a day. Good for them. I don't want that for TRIBE.

Most forum owners I know would rather have tight knit communities than a community where everyone in the world is a member posting their own baby pictures and corporate spam to potentially win a new car or whatever.

Forums allow communities to ripen like a fine ch33se or wine over time for maximum delishusness IMO, and like ch33se or wine, each has its own distinct flavor.

Forums change and grow slowly over time and, in the case of TRIBE, become different things organically as the environment changes, as the members age, as members go away and come back. I am OK with that.

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
Been visiting daily for years , and will continue to do so for years ! I take in tribe like i do my morning and evening news . Good people here , some a little kooky , but still a lot of very good folks who share opinion , thought , ideas and have a little fun with it !

Im hanging around long term !

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Been visiting daily for years , and will continue to do so for years ! I take in tribe like i do my morning and evening news . Good people here , some a little kooky , but still a lot of very good folks who share opinion , thought , ideas and have a little fun with it !

Im hanging around long term !
There are always some kooky people in a large extended family!

I should add that when I made the life-changing decision to leave a career and start the magazine and a year later start this community it was the best thing I could have ever done. I am immensely grateful to have met so many of you in person and digitally over the years.

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
Believe you me , i got some kooks in my small biological family bwhahahahahah lol

Tribe has been a wonderful experience , the laughs , drama , anger , digital disputes , music chat , party planning - and good old fashion "community" . There is so much " up my alley " here that i remain a day in day out visitor . And will continue . I have met some great people here in person and have learned a lot about others , culture , music and media .

you got my ongoing support !

djfear

TRIBE Member
Here's the funny thing, Tribe started and more or less stayed with the same simple interface throughout these many years. Then you had things like friendster, myspace, facebook (which will probably not go away but may become more irrelevant), google plus, and other social media. The problem with these other mediums is that they get bloated with so much other crap that they lose their mystical nature of simplicity. I still have coworkers and friends who like to use winamp, and I personally map my Foobar2000 shortcuts to mimic winamp's zxcvb controls. Simplicity is key.

If tribe stays the way it is, then it will most likely end up dying when we all do, or when/if Alex's back up plan doesn't fall through for his eventual passing - sorry to sound morbid, Alex.

Here's a question... are there any kids of Tribers that are on Tribe?

acheron

TRIBE Member
well my kids are 12 and 10 now - their births were announced on TRIBE, in fact. It'll be a while before they show any interest in discussion forums - although the seeds are there - my son already participates in epic skype chats and he makes youtube videos of his video game playing with live commentary by himself and his friends - and emails with the people who make videos he likes, etc.. So I don't know how it's going to pan out for him yet online as his generation's style of communicating is so immediate. Texting is the mode of choice. My daughter even more so.

Thunder

TRIBE Member
Love my Tribe, don't post much but lurk ooooften. Animated GIF and PIC threads are always good for laugh.

Can't wait for this year's Tribe BBQ!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Has any big posters (say >10000 posts) actually died? Statistically speaking there's gotta be at least one (I just made that up).