• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

When white people in the south say Nig*er do they mean it in a bad way?

swilly

TRIBE Member
I got into a fight today with one of my co workers about this. The other day we went out and one of these guys from texas was going on about how japanese and ni**ers are the only people in the world who eat carp. After that we sorta took off as i dont like americans let alone texans let alone ones who use the N word.

Anyways i told my roommate about this and he was like " oh in the south they all say it but they dont mean anything by it. Its just a word down there. "

I was like " dude i am pretty sure the black people care about getting called the n word. Its just that the south is one of last hold outs of deep rooted racism against black americans."

Anyways he gave me some anecdotal stories which sorta made sense. So i thought ok i am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anyone ever been to south and can share some information on this subject?

swilly

Last edited:

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Its usage is fairly common although its always low brow and not something they would do unless they vastly outnumbered the black people around them. Used mush more like 'Paki' is used in Canadian culture.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
when singing it in rap track... totally cool... when white people who listen to Toby Keith say it ... it makes me feel uncomfortable...

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Its usage is fairly common although its always low brow and not something they would do unless they vastly outnumbered the black people around them. Used mush more like 'Paki' is used in Canadian culture.
Ummmm, Canadians never enslaved the Pakis.

It is very derogatory, and very frowned upon.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

swilly

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
do you like it when i call you chug, or squaw, or chief drinking bear?

Dude you totally misunderstood me. I totally didint agree at all with what he was saying. I flat out told him that I am 99 percent sure that when white people down there say it they say it in a deragatory manner. But he lived in one of the southern US states for a bit so i had to give him the benefit of the doubt. I couldnt believe it though.

swilly

Funzo

TRIBE Member
It's actually a tearm of endearment. Give it a try next time you pas someone on the street. You'll find they're very friendly towards you after you do.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Agent Smith said:

Clearly you've never gone shopping anywhere in or around Markham and Ellesmere.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Agent Smith said:

No question that its derogatory and frowned upon. However I had never really heard it in common use in Canada where as I have heard it used down here many times. And not just by redneck hicks with no education, I also mean by people who would blend right in to canadian upper middle class.

beaker

TRIBE Member
i know a few people from the south and they would never use the n word - down there or anywhere else....

so i'd say it's a crock. racism is much more prevalent down there than in other areas (not that it isn't a problem everywhere). smart people just know better.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
swilly said:
Anyways i told my roommate about this and he was like " oh in the south they all say it but they dont mean anything by it. Its just a word down there. "
They mean it in a deragatory way no matter how stupid and ignorant they are.

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
No question that its derogatory and frowned upon. However I had never really heard it in common use in Canada where as I have heard it used down here many times. And not just by redneck hicks with no education, I also mean by people who would blend right in to canadian upper middle class.
I grew up in St. Louis. The middle class there says it, not because it's socially acceptable, but because they're a bunch of racist fucks..

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
Agent Smith said:
I grew up in St. Louis, and I know what you mean. But they say it because even the middle classe there is a bunch of racist fucks, not because it's socially acceptable.
How's Nelly? the Lunatics?

tonep

TRIBE Member
in the south they say naaager, so knowone knows what the fuck there talking about anyway....

when i was in the south last i was refering to how my mother nags me all the time and i called her a nager... all my friends parents looked at me in shock and said..."your moms a naaager?" so i had to explain that she wasnt black she just nags me allot

i hope this does nothing to help you out

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
swilly said:
Dude you totally misunderstood me. I totally didint agree at all with what he was saying. I flat out told him that I am 99 percent sure that when white people down there say it they say it in a deragatory manner. But he lived in one of the southern US states for a bit so i had to give him the benefit of the doubt. I couldnt believe it though.
the question is whether i meant it or was i simply using those as a term of endearment?

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Prickly Pete said:
How's Nelly? the Lunatics?
Nelly and his peeps used to swim at Heman Park public pool in University City in St. Louis. That pool was hilarious... at least once a day someone who couldn't swim would jump of the diving board and sink right to the bottom.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
diablo said:
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I cracked up the first time I heard that term (about two years ago).
it actually wouldn't apply to swilly because he is a full blood, only us half breeds get that one.

Deedee

TRIBE Member
Sally loves to touch my hair! She always asks me how I got my hair to do this. That makes me feel special. Like I have magical powers!

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
Agent Smith said:
Nelly and his peeps used to swim at Heman Park public pool in University City in St. Louis. That pool was hilarious... at least once a day someone who couldn't swim would jump of the diving board and sink right to the bottom.
how bling'd out were their swin suits? Did the croch of their trunks drag on the ground?

enquiring minds want to know

Agent Smith

TRIBE Member
Prickly Pete said:
how bling'd out were their swin suits? Did the croch of their trunks drag on the ground?

enquiring minds want to know
Oh, they were keeping it real... representing... flossing.

Word.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders