• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

when was global warming first proposed?

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
anyone know who the first person to propose global warming was? i remember hearing about it in the 90s ad nauseum, but what about the 70s and 80s? was anyone talking about global warming then?

depending on the answers you can provide i may have something very itneresting for you to watch, but i don't want to upload it until i know when global warming was first put forth.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Actually for a good chunk of the 70's it was global cooling and an ice age. CO2 was going to block light and thus cause the temperature to go down.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I posted a ton of shit about it in the global warming thread...I can't remember if I pasted it into the thread specifically, or if I just created links out to the information. I can look it up for you later on, but even at the beginning of the 1900's when the "Greenhouse effect" first got its name, they were theorizing its effects on global temperature.

Shug

TRIBE Member
I was born in 1977... since then, the world has gotten much hotter. Coincendence? I think not.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
did anyone in the 70s talk about global warming trapping heat in the atmosphere and then leading to an ice age? i found something really wierd and i need to know more about global warming's history before i post it

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
Actually for a good chunk of the 70's it was global cooling and an ice age. CO2 was going to block light and thus cause the temperature to go down.

Not CO2, but the particles emitted by the combustion of fossil fuels; I think it's actually called global dimming. If it weren't for these particles, the affects of global warming would be MUCH more severe. So in a way, the fact that we're burning these fuels has simulteneously caused and lessened the same problem

Here's the catch though: what happens when we kick the fossil fuel business? We won't be emitting those particles and the sun's rays will have a much more powerful affect on the Earth's climate. In some parts of the world, the levels of sunlight have dropped by nearly 20% since the 1950s and researchers are beginning to speculate that this phenomenon might be behind some of the mass-deadly famines, because plants eat the sun!

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
DaPhatConductor said:
did anyone in the 70s talk about global warming trapping heat in the atmosphere and then leading to an ice age? i found something really wierd and i need to know more about global warming's history before i post it
I remember watching a show many years ago on A&E called "In Search of ..." that talked about global cooling and a looming ice age.

It was narrated by Leonard Nimoy and aired between 1976 and 1982.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
AdRiaN said:
I remember watching a show many years ago on A&E called "In Search of ..." that talked about global cooling and a looming ice age.

It was narrated by Leonard Nimoy and aired between 1976 and 1982.

cool.

got it.

thanks mate!

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
SellyCat said:
Not CO2, but the particles emitted by the combustion of fossil fuels; I think it's actually called global dimming.

yes, and there was something on Daily Planet on this a few weeks/months ago. They found a better way to measure global dimming by looking at how brightly the sun's rays are reflected onto the moon from the earth.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
yes, and there was something on Daily Planet on this a few weeks/months ago. They found a better way to measure global dimming by looking at how brightly the sun's rays are reflected onto the moon from the earth.

[nerd]That's genius! Space is so fucking cool![/nerd]

derek

TRIBE Member
H2Whoa said:
Cro Magnon scientists

it's clearly shown on cave paintings in France

haha...

i was going to say...wool e. mammoth, in 12,000bc.

red ochre cave paintings work just as well.