1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

When the heck do we get our Roncey Streetcars back??

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by praktik, Mar 9, 2010.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Roncesvalles Village

Found this today, and they close with:

==COMPLETION==

Varcon tells us that they are still on track for completion in mid-March.

==TWO-WAY BUSES==

We are still hopeful that we may be able to get two-way buses on at least part of Roncesvalles before Varcon completes their work, and are working with the TTC to find a way to make this happen.

Regardless, we will get two-way transit and traffic on Roncesvalles once Varcon’s work is complete.​
    So are we really getting our full streetcar use up to Dundas West again in "mid-march"? Or does the TTC need to do more trackwork after Varcon is done??

Cause part of me is thinking this will just mean we'll have 504 Shuttle Buses down to queensway+king in "mid-march"...

2. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

never at this rate...

my tires and shocks are prolly fubared over the debacle from this last year

3. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Streetcars are not coming for another year. It will be buses until then. Next year the beautification of the street starts now that the watermain and other infrastructure is almost done. So basically we may have a few months of an ugly yet peaceful street with occasional nasty buses before we endure another year of hell. At the end of it we should have a really nice street with special quiet streetcar tracks!

4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ugh... ok... a 504 shuttle driver told me "2011 buddy!" last fall and I thought he was being surly. But I guess he was right!

At least the detour down lansdowne will end soon...

5. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

ian, where's that roncywood pic...lol.

6. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I think there is some debate over the two way buses. There will be two way traffic. . . and there will be at least one way bus (as now). I think they may keep the one way bus until the street is totally done. Don't quote me on that though. Ironically, although I'm DYING to have everything finished, the one way bus drops me three blocks closer to my house if I go to Dundas West station on the subway so I'm one of the few people it works for.

7. ian

ian TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

8. ian

ian TRIBE Member

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Im nearer the lake south of king near jamieson, so I'm kind of in a "void" coming west from work (which is north and east). Now I take either the lansdowne or the 504 bus to lansdowne and queen and walk.

I'd prefer to take a shuttle bus south to queensway and king for sure - especially since there's convenient places to stop down roncey if I need a lightbulb or some food.

10. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

i'm pretty sure the queen of tarts called it quits b/c of this project. She was really pissed about how they repaved the entire road just so they could do the polish festival, only to tear it all apart again

11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

My theory is Queen of Tarts closed for the duration of this work and will reopen on Roncey somewhere when work is complete. The construction sure is an incovenience for many, but infrastructure needs to be replaced and when it is all said and done, it should be a better street for it. After living through the construction right on St. Laurent in Montreal for a few years, this is a picnic by comparison. Try crossing ten foot long and deep gaps across little wooden boards just to get into a store. For some reason, in Quebec, it is totally okay for construction to expect residents to live as part of the Swiss Family Robinson.

12. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Queen of Tarts
    Silver Spoon
    Boho
    Cosa Pizza
    Mad Gypsy

All closed because of the construction (the owners claim).

13. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

Well, the whole deal is rotten right now. It has ruined a great neighbourhood. we were under the impression that the busses were forever. it is good to hear that at some point they will be back.

14. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Same thing that happened on St. Clair. There should be more compensation, but it ultimately boils down to short-term pain for long-term gain.

15. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

1. It didn't ruin a great neigbourhood. The neighbourhood is intact, but will continue to experience teething pains until phase two is complete.

2. Who is we? We the uninformed who can't read our mail or public notices? Or google?

The Roncesvalles Reconstruction Project

This just in: construction = inconvenience

16. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

lol!

17. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I haven't seen anything that states which of the various proposals and recommendations within that project were actually approved. Does anyone know? I'm hoping most of them!

18. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

19. derek

derek TRIBE Member

east side bitches!!

20. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Everyday, I say to myself, man, I wish I lived on Pape or Donlands.

21. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Leslieville was great and I'd totally move back there.

THings did improve here though - kitchen-fire prone sketch bag across the hall was arrested last week!

22. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

Cosa pizza may have closed due to the RATS they had.

Read in a weekly a few months back they had serious health violations.

Overpriced cardboard anyways

23. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Yeah, aside from Queen of Tarts (popular, but too pricey for our humble budget), I don't think any of the places in that list will be sorely missed. The vital businesses on that strip (Qi, Maple, Evergreen, K.O., Home Hardware, etc) don't seem to be doing any worse for wear.

24. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I for one will miss the Boho. I had one of the best meals of my life there. I never ate at any of the other places except Cosa, and I won't miss it!

25. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Business that die in these situations are those that don't have repeat customers. They rely on people who wander by and come in but probably never come back again.