1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

When I'm 64..... errr 65

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by cosmosuave, Mar 29, 2010.

  1. cosmosuave

    cosmosuave TRIBE Member

    Looking for some help here...

    I have been appointed legal guardian of my father who is bi-polar and has just turned 65... I am trying to get his finances in order and thought I had but have just discovered he has an RRSP and a pension from the IBEW that I did not know of...

    On that note I have asked if he has any other investments in his name but conversations with him are difficult at times to get any info out of him... Is there any way to use his SIN# to search for any investments under his name or some kind of company / organization that will do this?

    I wished there was a Dummies Book for " How to Deal With a Bi-Polar Parent Who is 65 and to Sort Out Their Affairs?"
  2. Dirty Girl

    Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

    wouldnt he have had to claim that stuff on old tax returns? Might find some info in those.
  3. cosmosuave

    cosmosuave TRIBE Member

    He has no tax returns hasn't filed them for years and Rev Can sez he owes 28K... His affairs are in the shit due to being bi-polar so i have real mess to deal with here...
  4. Dr. Grinch

    Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

    Hire yourself a decent accountant. Seek out a reputable accounting firm, and get their assistance. My GF works for a largish one in Hamilton I can refer you to if you want.
    They'll find the stuff you may not be able to otherwise, and can help you understand the implications and tax issues you could end up getting burned on.
  5. mingster

    mingster TRIBE Member

    is there a lawyer or some other type of legal person who helped legitimize your appointment to legal guardian? i imagine you got help from someone who has experience with this? they might be able to assist with your questions?
  6. cosmosuave

    cosmosuave TRIBE Member

    Prior to me it was Ontario Public Guardian & Trustee... They have not been much help... Once I had taken over guardianship I soon discovered that they had not notified various gov't organizations informing I am the appointed guardian... I assumed they would so I was bogged down in red tape and forms trying to inquire on my dad's accounts and affairs having to wait weeks for them to receive my authourization just to talk to them...

    OPGT has been a pain in the ass or it may be that I am not asking the right questions this shit they just don't teach in school and I'm struggling with it... One thing for sure is that I won't leave a mess like this for my 2 kids...
  7. erika

    erika TRIBE Member

    This must be so hard for you!
    If you are legal guardian, you should be able to show the bank(s) that to get Power of Attorney on all accounts. And if you're lucky his rrsp will have been acquired through there.

    I don't know what IBEW is but you should be able to contact them to get pension info. And if Revenue Canada are saying he owes them money, you can ask them for a summary for the last x years. Even if he hasn't filed, if you can get the last one where he did, and their statements relating to that, you might be able to find more info.

    I have a good accountant in town if you need one, right on the subway.
  8. cosmosuave

    cosmosuave TRIBE Member

    Thank you for the tips and advice and may take some of you up on your offers as I get more situated...

    Things so far...

    I have access to the following...

    Bank accounts
    Old Age Security and CPP
    Pension and RRSP with IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers)

    It does sound that I need to consult with an accountant for his financial issues...
  9. kyfe

    kyfe TRIBE Member

    also considering the situation check here

    Unclaimed balances - Bank of Canada

    its unclaimed bank balances, I know how hard it can be to talk finances with the parentals in the best of situations so hopefully this provides a nice find or two for you:)
  10. Sal De Ban

    Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

    a credit check would cover and summarize investments / savings. i saw mine recently and it had all that stuff. shit dude...

Share This Page