• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Whatsapp

acheron

TRIBE Member
- increase penetration in underserved markets (WhatsApp is huge outside the US)
- increase the reach of their Messenger app (they will likely blend the networks together while preserving the brands so both can talk to eachother seamlessly)

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Sigh - thank you. Yeah, I just got Whatsapp to keep in touch with international friends, then this nonsense happened.

Telegram is another alternative.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Can I use whatsapp to communicate with people in the US and overseas or are there charges to do so?

Any other apps available for iphone that may be better than whatsapp and allows me to talk to people wherever for free?

Trying to communicate with my mom in Spain and a buddy down in the US but I am hoping to find a free way to do this?

Thx

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

octo

TRIBE Member
i use bbm to keep in touch with overseas family and friends

i hate whatsapp, but i have it because most of my buddies in TO use it. so we use it for group chats.

the beauty of bbm is that it doesn't require you to use your phone #. it also has voice chat so you can call bbm contacts overseas for free using wifi.

as to the original question. i think FB bought whatsapp in part to acquire the competition. much like MS used to do. just buy the competition.

Last edited:

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Can I use whatsapp to communicate with people in the US and overseas or are there charges to do so?

Any other apps available for iphone that may be better than whatsapp and allows me to talk to people wherever for free?

Trying to communicate with my mom in Spain and a buddy down in the US but I am hoping to find a free way to do this?

Thx
Do you mean voice chat or chat by text?

lobo

TRIBE Member
You've got a few options: WhatsApp, BBM, Viber

All three of those (except WhatsApp) can do voice calling over data as long as you have a decent wifi connection at both ends. All three can do free texting/instant message for free as long as both parties have wifi or a data plan for the cell phones.

I'm using WhatsApp with a few people and the wife and I bounce back and forth between WhatsApp and BBM just to try things differently. Like octo said, with BBM you don't have to give up your personal phone number like you do with WhatsApp and Viber. Plus, BBM can tell you once a person has actually read your message while the others simply tell you that it's been delivered to them.

If you want some security for your chat messages, look into Telegram. It's similar to WhatsApp but it encrypts your messages and you can even start super secure chat sessions where each message you send/receive is timed to delete after X seconds/minutes. Cool concept and seems to have taken off in Europe from what I've read.

Lobo

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys!! I just need it for the odd text here and there and do not want to get dinged with roaming or buying into any spacial US/overseas text package through my provider.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories