• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What's you're best visiting DJ/diva drama story

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
WestsideWax said:
Same promoters were asked by Aphrodite to secure some ladies of the evening when he rolled into town for a gig. Couldn't have a go of it on his own before resorting to that?

My buddy and I caught Aphrodite at a gig in Hamilton on a Thursday night some years back. His "I could give a fuck less" attitude became apparent when he put a mixed CD on and walked out of the booth for 15 minutes. He then came back and put another CD on and stood there just staring blankly at his CD binder. I felt bad because we had seen some Ohio and NY state plates in the parking lot for this gig. Total lack of care for his fans.

I remember again, maybe 5 years back a group of us went to Milton to this SKETCHY barn rave on some dudes property. Ryan Ruckus was headlining. This was in some kids parents back yard basically. Big Rottweilers roaming around and shit. Anyways, Ruckus was mangled, just completely hammed. He was fun to watch, but I wouldn't call it DJ'ing at that point. Heh.

Jumping Jack Sloshed pulled a similar performance at Turbo one time I was there too. He got on the mic and was just rambling all sorts of bizarre shit.

One positive one I remember was Dilinja being booked on a Sunday night to play this little dive bar in Hamilton. He actually A) Showed up and B) threw down a phenomenal set for all 30 kids that had showed up. That was impressive of him.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Dr. Grinch said:
Jumping Jack Sloshed pulled a similar performance at Turbo one time I was there too. He got on the mic and was just rambling all sorts of bizarre shit.
hahahahaha at Jumping Jack Sloshed!
wasn't that night at Industry though? When he'd put on a tune, let it play for 20 seconds then stop it and tell the crowd "canada's not ready for that tune yet?"
good times

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
Dr. Grinch said:
My buddy and I caught Aphrodite at a gig in Hamilton on a Thursday night some years back. His "I could give a fuck less" attitude became apparent when he put a mixed CD on and walked out of the booth for 15 minutes. He then came back and put another CD on and stood there just staring blankly at his CD binder. I felt bad because we had seen some Ohio and NY state plates in the parking lot for this gig. Total lack of care for his fans.

I remember again, maybe 5 years back a group of us went to Milton to this SKETCHY barn rave on some dudes property. Ryan Ruckus was headlining. This was in some kids parents back yard basically. Big Rottweilers roaming around and shit. Anyways, Ruckus was mangled, just completely hammed. He was fun to watch, but I wouldn't call it DJ'ing at that point. Heh.

One positive one I remember was Dilinja being booked on a Sunday night to play this little dive bar in Hamilton. He actually A) Showed up and B) threw down a phenomenal set for all 30 kids that had showed up. That was impressive of him.
I think I was at that aphrodite jam? Was it on a wednesday night or something?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Littlest Hobo said:
Weren't there some shenanagans when Platipus Soundsystem played at the underground garage 1 week before the Hulla death at said underground garage?
My time slot got bumped to closing because it took them 3 fucking hours to figure out why their P.A. set up wasnt working.. and then only working for 5 mins at a time... needless to say I didn't stay until the end as I was fuuuuuuuucking tired bythat point having been there since almost open.. I think Eryk closed out... (I did tell Ryan I was leaving before I left though.. and he was fine... so that sort of kills the drama of walking out before your own set no?) :p

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Dr. Grinch said:

hahaha i think I was at that turbo party,,, but i had a great fucking time.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
ghaleon said:
I think I was at that aphrodite jam? Was it on a wednesday night or something?
Yes guy. That's why I felt so bad for the out of town people. They had probably booked time off work to see him and he was a total fucking washout.
We were local so we were just pissed about the $15 to watch this loser act like he didn't care.

stri-fry said:
hahahahaha at Jumping Jack Sloshed!
wasn't that night at Industry though? When he'd put on a tune, let it play for 20 seconds then stop it and tell the crowd "canada's not ready for that tune yet?"
good times
Hrmm, I think it was a Syrous night. Like a Friday or a Saturday night it would have been. He did definitely start telling us we don't understand the jungle and we're not ready for the jungle. He also wrecked just about every mix, and would spend endless minutes digging through his records then just throw something totally random on.

I did have fun though, good company with me that night.

djbacknforth

TRIBE Member
ghaleon said:
looooooooool

somehow i can totally picture this in my mind

My friend had to pickup DJ rectangle from the airport to play a night at fever in hamilton. The airline had shipped off his records to some godforsaken place, so my friend proceeded to feed the dj shots of whiskey. When he came on in the club, he had to borrow some records and needles from the previous dj's - and the records were really cheesy fair like Dmx : up in here, etc etc. His MC, also wasted, just kept saying "yo fuck the haters". Anyways, They both got booed and ultimately didn't get paid that night
Haha... I was at this one!!!
Rectangle was trippin and we almost jumped him in the booth...
He got upstaged by my boy Jr-Flo, and he was pissed... for no reason really!
Shit, we had never met him before, but used his scratch rekkeds coming up...

I totally forgot about this night!!!
He was eyeballing us while he was scratchin, and we'd just come back from NYC winning the ITF championship... I gotta find the story on the net i wrote back then... And his mic man was saying fuck the haters while grilling us... Rectangle got fucked up that nite that i think we did scuffle a bit... I remember grabbing our needles, slipmats and shit, - getting his money (bitch-ass) and jetting back to Toronto~!

Those were the dayzzzzz!!!

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
jazzsax said:
i'm sure we all have stories about mark eg and chris liberator. i've got enough of those on mark that his partner/spouse used to call and check up on him when i'd bring him in (it was usually quite messy)...

Most everyone else was pretty well behaved, except for commander tom. DJ Dan was well behaved, other than never saying no to the Jagerbombs.

Hawtin was well behaved when I brought him in... same with Acquaviva (but man that guy can sure chow down a baseball steak)
Under what banner did/do you promote parties? Based upon your above comments, I'm willing to bet we crossed paths once or twice. Haha.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Littlest Hobo said:
Weren't there some shenanagans when Platipus Soundsystem played at the underground garage 1 week before the Hulla death at said underground garage?
Yes. As mentioned. I was there. It was insane. Haha.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
djbacknforth said:
He got upstaged by my boy Jr-Flo, and he was pissed... for no reason really!
Jr-Flo! haha... I went to highschool with him... he used to borrow records from my buddy J-Groove..

Greg? Craig? something like that? cant remember... he was a few years younger... I remember the first few times he played live at our school... his hands were shaking from being so nervous... a few years later he was ripping it up!

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
loopdokter said:
Yes. As mentioned. I was there. It was insane. Haha.

meh! I remember the party benig pretty dull actually... and that was one of the worst idea's for a space I have ever seen in my life....

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
DoubleDown said:
My time slot got bumped to closing because it took them 3 fucking hours to figure out why their P.A. set up wasnt working..
They were having legit technical problems and did end up playing a full set. I only recall things going a bit Pete Tong afterwards.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
DoubleDown said:
meh! I remember the party benig pretty dull actually... and that was one of the worst idea's for a space I have ever seen in my life....
Hey, I had a blast, but probably due to other reasons. Haha. Some random guy walked up to me and told me he had a hit of DMT for Simon Barry. I don't believe Simon partook, but I that set the tone for the night. Haha.