1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

whats your thoughts on m-103

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by basketballjones, Feb 16, 2017.

1. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

Systemic racism and religious discrimination

That, in the opinion of the House, the government should: (a) recognize the need to quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear; (b) condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination and take note of House of Commons’ petition e-411 and the issues raised by it; and (c) request that the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage undertake a study on how the government could (i) develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia, in Canada, while ensuring a community-centered focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making, (ii) collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and that the Committee should present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion, provided that in its report, the Committee should make recommendations that the government may use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution Acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

2. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

What a completely toothless waste of money. There is no legislative remedy for fear and loathing. The root of the issue isn't religious intolerance. It lies in anger, desperation and the need to blame someone for it. Throw all the money you want at studies. It won't make a lick of difference. Funds would be better spent on programs aimed at levelling the playing field and reducing the financial burden on ALL Canadians. The closer we are in this respect, the easier it will be to see eye to eye. This nonsense is about saying they're doing something, not actually doing it.

3. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

The only thing I don't agree with is specifically naming Islamaphobia, it is no greater or lesser than any other faith/religion.

this is the bill (or extension of) the one that piggy backed of the anti-bullying legislation correct?

4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Red meat for the Sun editorial page and potential Canadian culture war flashpoint.

Inoffensive measure, I struggle to find strong feelings for or against and I'm not against data collection and analysis supporting policy.

5. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

The focus should not be on "who hates whom and where?". It needs to be "why?". ...and religion is just a scapegoat for much deeper seeded issues that cannot be addressed through legislation.

6. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

what this guys doing

[​IMG]

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I think there's ways certain kinds of legislation can help, thinking of the whole spectrum of ways government influences culture and the rule of law. But at core, to identify this as a "human" issue first and foremost is likely right. And this legislation on is not a magic bullet to solve racism and not sure any expect it to be - at best maybe it sets the stage for better things down the road based on better data collection and analysis.

One example where laws and practise could have helped might be the plight of aboriginals in certain places on the prairie - law enforcement more in antagonistic relationship and not investigating those that predate on aboriginal prostitutes without much fear the disappearance will be looked into. There's a whole raft of missing aborignal women across the country. Could the right laws and practises have prevented all this? No, there's a certain way their more vulnerable place in the social order makes this more prevalent for them. But that said there's certainly ways laws and practise haven't helped as much as they could and its fair to say the numbers didn't have to get so high for so long before practises and laws reformed to handle it.

8. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

quickly breaking my political entertaiment detox to throw this little powerful nugget in here...

9. Bernnie Federko

10. basketballjones

Slippery slope

11. Bernnie Federko

12. basketballjones

so you guys are okay with being dragged in front of the human rights commision if you voice an opinion against sharia law or honor killings

13. Bernnie Federko

Yup. I'm in.

And at the same time I'm going to the Supreme Court.

It'll be great.

14. basketballjones

Sure you will.
    Once the hrc is done with you and the oh so not biased media has destroyed your being employed ever......then you can come back and be all
    Gonna moonwalk past this shit bitch

15. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

The Age of Liberal Darkness is here!

janiecakes likes this.
  16. Bernnie Federko

17. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

i thought this was about that Club M- 4...and they just got it confused with the name of it.. oh. well.

18. basketballjones

why does it single out islamaphobia and not mention one other religion
    we already have laws in place to deal with this? Anyone want to comment on why it's okay to be completely anit-semitic and it never gets mentioned or denounced?

19. Mondieu

Mondieu TRIBE Member

A quick search on Google pulls up plenty of content on the evils of anti-semitism in Canada.

20. Bernnie Federko

Because Jews are crooked and secretly run the world?

Is that the answer you want?

[​IMG]

21. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

You really have reading comprehension issues. It actually does mention ALL religions. This is a motion not a will become law. Its purpose is to recognize an issue that and direct the government to work on solutions. Very often when motions are written they specifically identify the real world impetus for making thee directions which is why Islamaphobia is specifically mentioned:

"condemn Islamophobia and ALL forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination".

If you can't see that the above includes ALL religions then you are blinded by your partisanship.

22. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

- Not a law, not binding on the government nor anyone else.
    - It is not part of the legislative process that leads to a law. It does not create a 'shortcut' for passing new laws. If the government executes the recommendations in the motion and decides to introduce laws because of the data collected, those new laws will have to start from the beginning of the legislative process.
    - It applies to ALL religious hatred. Specific mention of Islamophobia can be justified since that is the religion that is CURRENTLY receiving the lion's share of popular hate.
    - The mention of Islamaphobia does not give any 'special treatment' to Islam over other religions, outside of acting as a 'make sure your reports do not leave out islamophobia' type direction.

People need to stop freaking out about things they haven't spent any time looking into.

23. Bernnie Federko

24. basketballjones

25. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I initially thought... "But we already have a thread about cars..."

[​IMG]

I is dumb. D.U.M. Dumb.

Anyway, I read this article on aljazeera and it mentions M103:
    Warning: Canada is not what you think it is

This is by far the most misleading article I have read in a while... and the author is an award winning investigative journalist. I dunno... the way he wrote it is a perfect recipe for someone to just shut down and not comprehend it. I had to read it 2-3 times to understand what the author was saying because I had to get through the negativity and hatred that was spilling all over the screen.