• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What's your favorite mid-priced Italian restaurant downtown?

Nesta

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
The pizza cutter is a wonderful invention. I don't understand why Terroni is so loathe to employ it. Personally I prefer their pasta anyway.

Cafe Nervosa has some great pizza.

There's a great mid-priced Italian place up at Sheppard & Willowdale if you feel like dining with a bunch of old people.
i guess the peeps at terroni want to keep their pizza as authentic as possible, so they don't cut it. you'd be hard pressed to find a real pizzeria in italy that cut theirs.

all of the food at cafe nervosa is damn good!

if y'all want a real italian (napoletana) pizza, hit up pizzeria libretto. it's on a completely different level than anything and anywhere else in toronto. truly amazing!
 

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Mephisto said:
one of my classmates works at "la fenice"(the phoenix) on king http://www.lafenice.ca/home.html

went there in cognito with some friends to check it out and had a fantastic meal. food and service were on point, i have no problem highly recommending it.
la fenice's food was amazing, but when i was there the waiter was HORRIBLE. so bad, that regardless of how good the food was that day, the service will prevent me from going back or recommending it.
 

sugar

TRIBE Member
I went to Kit-Kat a couple weeks ago and the food, service, and ambience were all great. It felt cozy without being cramped.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
a good rule of thumb for deciding if an italian place is crap:


if any pasta combination contains:

chicken, cream and pesto,
sundried tomatoes w/ tomato sauce,
bolongnese sauce with ground chicken
or has more than about 20 types of pasta combinations

"garlic bread"

whole wheat bruschetta

veal "parmigiana"

waiters under 21 years old.
 

Bull Go Ki

TRIBE Member
yeah terronis on adelaide is nice and the venue is slammin BUT the one on queen is by far better quality food. I think the size and number of orders thrown out of the kitchen on adelaide hurts the quality.
 

emiwee

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
I went to the new 7 Numbers (well, new to me - last time I was there it was on the south side of Avenue Rd, now it's on the north). Everything we had was great, including the service. 5 Doors North (if it hasn't changed in a few years) is equally good.

I hate the shrine of "authenticity".

you totally copied my recommendations.
love.

(miss you!)
xo.
 

sugar

TRIBE Member
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Or we just think alike cuz we're friends ;)

Let's go for italian food soon.
 

JAR

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
I went to the new 7 Numbers (well, new to me - last time I was there it was on the south side of Avenue Rd, now it's on the north).
doesn't Avenue run North/South???
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
There is a little Italian place at Queen & River I have been to a few times that is fairly consistent called Fusili...

http://fusilli.ca/home.html

The place is cozy with local art on the walls and theowner is very nice he gave my wife and I some free shots of limocella one time we were in.... Sorry no pizza on the menu and a good selection of Italian wines not carried by LCBO and the menu is priced reasonable...
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Whatever, there's a Pizza Nova restaurant on Lawrence in Scarberia that does 2-4-1 sit down pizzas with 3 toppings and free salad/pasta that is amazing.

Fuck all y'all.
 

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Nesta said:
i guess the peeps at terroni want to keep their pizza as authentic as possible, so they don't cut it. you'd be hard pressed to find a real pizzeria in italy that cut theirs.

if y'all want a real italian (napoletana) pizza, hit up pizzeria libretto. it's on a completely different level than anything and anywhere else in toronto. truly amazing!
i'm not sure what you consider "authentic", but i have yet to find a pizza anywhere in toronto (in north america actually) that does pizza the way almost all joints do it in napoli, at least based on my somewhat limited experience there. tasty-ass, odd-shaped, dough, lumpy at places, with sauce and toppings thrown on in a haphazard fashion.

pizza-makers here always do pies in the shape of perfect circles, with sauce covering it uniformly and generous toppings spread evenly throughout.

although the napoli way sounds less appealing, their pizzas were way beyond anything i've had in toronto, and we couldn't quite figure out why.

similarly, the pastas in lipari (where all the sauces had olives and capers cooked in) were superior to any pastas i've had elsewhere.

i always wondered why there are no pizza joints in toronto that would emulate the napoli style of pizza.

i trust your italian food recommendations, so we are hitting up PIZZERRIA LIBRETTO on saturday. :)
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
i always wondered why there are no pizza joints in toronto that would emulate the napoli style of pizza.
Pizza is all about sauce and dough first and foremost, these are the main things your pallette will taste, and its these things that are skimped on the hardest in favour of 'toppings' and crappy mozzarella in North America.

For the same reason our bagels are a dumbed down average bagel. Everything has to be palatable to *everyone* instead of true to origins.
 

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
<food network nerdtime>

Pizza originated in greece with some italian variants and then the form we're all used to evolved IN NORTH AMERICA from that.

"sir, I did not order couscous on my deep dish."
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
although the napoli way sounds less appealing, their pizzas were way beyond anything i've had in toronto, and we couldn't quite figure out why.
I'd imagine those pizzas are better because of their high-quality, super-fresh ingredients.
 

smack

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
i'm not sure what you consider "authentic", but i have yet to find a pizza anywhere in toronto (in north america actually) that does pizza the way almost all joints do it in napoli, at least based on my somewhat limited experience there. tasty-ass, odd-shaped, dough, lumpy at places, with sauce and toppings thrown on in a haphazard fashion.

pizza-makers here always do pies in the shape of perfect circles, with sauce covering it uniformly and generous toppings spread evenly throughout.

although the napoli way sounds less appealing, their pizzas were way beyond anything i've had in toronto, and we couldn't quite figure out why.

similarly, the pastas in lipari (where all the sauces had olives and capers cooked in) were superior to any pastas i've had elsewhere.

i always wondered why there are no pizza joints in toronto that would emulate the napoli style of pizza.

i trust your italian food recommendations, so we are hitting up PIZZERRIA LIBRETTO on saturday. :)
I swear I remember hearing about a pizza place in Toronto that is one of the only few places in the world outside of Italy that is certified authentic Napoli style pizza. I forget the name.

And I would trust Nesta with ANY food recommendation. Not just Italian :)
 

futronic

TRIBE Member
smack said:
I swear I remember hearing about a pizza place in Toronto that is one of the only few places in the world outside of Italy that is certified authentic Napoli style pizza. I forget the name.

And I would trust Nesta with ANY food recommendation. Not just Italian :)
That's Libretto. Go. It's great!

-- Jay aka Fut
 

sugar

TRIBE Member
I make pretty good pizza.

Not sure why something has to be "certified authentic" to be good. Just one of my hopeless causes I guess. Why not just eat something cuz you like it.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top