• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What's wrong with the Body Shop?

angelic

TRIBE Member
The Body Shop have successfully manufactured an image of being a caring company that is helping to protect the environment and indigenous peoples, and preventing the suffering of animals - whilst
selling 'natural' products. But behind the green and cuddly image lies the reality - the Body Shop's operations, like those of all multinationals, have a detrimental effect on the environment and the world's poor.

They do not help the plight of animals or indigenous peoples (and may be having a harmful effect), and their products are far from what
they're cracked up to be. They have put themselves on a pedestal in order to exploit people's idealism.

Want to know more? Here's the link:
http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/companies/bs_ref.html

:eek: :eek:

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Corporations lying, cheating, stealing and backstabbing just to make a profit and increase mass consumerism?......

Sounds pretty normal to me......

labRat

TRIBE Member
i hate the term 'multinational', it's always used in reference to an 'evil' corporation.

what the hell is wrong with a global marketplace?

--craig

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
And they treat their employees like ASS!

They've marketted themselves so well that people automatically assume that they're way above other employers, but in reality it's just another McJob. Even Starbucks is a better employer than Body Shop.

Pete

mingster

TRIBE Member
Body Shop was cool when it first started.
It was a refreshing concept.

I haven't walked into one of their stores in years.
It all just seems to flowery and fruity and "natural" for me. Blech.
It would make me feel just too gulible to actually buy something from there and believe that it's any better for me than anything else just cause it's got some natural-sounding name to it.

No thanks.

Ming.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

angelic

TRIBE Member
I think one of the most upsetting aspects of this for me is the animal testing. It is what drew me to search out this info in the first place. One of my home town aquaintances in running an AVEDA salon, which are naturally based skin and body care products. I was horrified to discover while we were chatting, that although Body Shop does not test on animals itself, many of the ingredients they utilize IN their products ARE tested in animals. Perhaps I have been naive to have assumed that when a product says, "not tested on animals", that it was the whole truth. :mad:
As a consumer, I want to make informed choices!

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by angelic
I was horrified to discover while we were chatting, that although Body Shop does not test on animals itself, many of the ingredients they utilize IN their products ARE tested in animals.
That's true of a lot of companies that say they don't do animal testing...they contract it out to other companies. And IIRC, in the U.S., ingredients used in skin/body care must be tested on animals first...that's the law (I read that somewhere, so I don't have any backup but maybe you'll find something regarding that).

~jen

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

labRat

TRIBE Member
if people/gov't would accept replication of human organs (such as skin) then maybe we could do this kind of testing in the lab. without sacrificing the lives of cute little bunnies.

but ... nope. 'cloning' human body parts is forbidden, they may replicate another hitler or somethin'.

--craig

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
Body shop will essentially pay other companies for the results of their research on animal testing. They don't do it themselves, but it is still DONE. It's a technicality so they aren't really 'lying' just pretending to be moral.

~allie~

jus me

TRIBE Member
Wow.

Well I have to admit they've done a good job of marketing their corporation as "green". :mad:

I've never really liked their stuff. I can't count how many times I've had breakouts and what not from using their products.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
I think I'd prefer products being tested on animals as opposed to being tested on humans or even worse, not being tested at all.

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
Re: Wow.

Originally posted by jus me
Well I have to admit they've done a good job of marketing their corporation as "green". :mad:

I've never really liked their stuff. I can't count how many times I've had breakouts and what not from using their products.
im sure many animals out there are breakout free

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

labRat

TRIBE Member
i like the new President's Choice Organic commercials that are out now ... they tell us that we should go back to "simpler times", take down our tall and wide buildings that take up green grass and sunshine.

meanwhile they have many 100,000+ sq ft storage houses and multilevel corporate buildings scattered all throughout ontario (and canada?).

--craig

G

Originally posted by Mr_Furious
I think I'd prefer products being tested on animals as opposed to being tested on humans or even worse, not being tested at all.
I find that 'product testing' a bit of a paradox.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
The article is just full of rhetoric and inconclusive allegations. They state the obvious as if it were some revelation and they state what is simple to assume as being ground breaking.

Truth is every pill you've ever taken was tested on an animal. Every colorinig in every food product you eat was tested on an animal. And for gods sake your leather shoes involved the death of an animal as well.

Plows don't ask mice to leave the field so even you vegans can be comfortable to know that there is blood on you lettuce.

Again this is classic of a critic that offers nothing concrete as far as where the company should be going or what alternatives a customer should think about. Its well researched and it points out some interesting things but its pure propaganda.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
"London Greenpeace calls on people to create an anarchist society"

REALLY!!!!! I highly doubt that Greenpeace calls on anyone to change there political beliefs and destroy they're political structures.

PROPAGANDA!!!!!!!

Wulf

TRIBE Member
I think a lot of the Body Shop's image vs. practice problems have to do with their transition from a privately held company to being publicly owned. The initial vision of Annita Roddick and her husband were superseeded the shareholders came looking for their returns. It's a shame.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I stopped buying Body Shop 7 years ago.

I think they at least have a message to convey but to be honest, their products are shit.