• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What's the deal lately with old Rockstars going to Kickstarter for Handouts?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Seems flaky to me.

Scott Stapp, started a $480,000 kickstarter for a new album, and Novel. (May have been proven fake, but the entire ordeal was totally sketchy from the start)

Now TLC want's $150,000 to start an album, while praising they want to get "Their fan's into it" So, If they don't have one single investor left that will invest a paltry $150,000? Then $150,000 is placing liability on fans, when they should have more than enough still to cover costs, right? They mostly went broke I think.

Neil Young got asked for $800,000, and got $6 million to start a new project, a new iPod basically, at the new Sony Walkman quality level. Neil Young though he's worth $65 Million.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music

Isn't that just asking fans to put their money on his gamble?

Are the crowd funding mechanisms becoming a new medium to be more abused by old institutions that can't get any new investment?

Interesting.. If someone can get $65K for a pot roast dinner. Why not.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Well I was thinking afterwards, With TLC. They're offering free digital downloads off the new album for whatever. $15 donation.

So after they sold $100 million in records, The fans need to buy into an album that doesn't exist? What if it sucks like old ladies singing about twitter?

I think they just want to say ok. $150k. Then the real objective is to see what gravy they can get after that. 1 or 2 million? They've been tearing up the TV networks with this.

Gross cash grab. They would have no problem finding an investor for $150K. It would pay for itself.

Or go on tour, and work for a dollar.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
They are working: they're making an album. They just want to be guaranteed money for it.

Re Pomo the "benefits" are the expanded dynamic range being recorded. Science says that most people wouldn't hear the additional range now available. However I'm sure some would - some meaning less than a fraction of a percent of the population. I've heard that some people can see into the infrared, not Xmen level see but see into that visual range nonetheless.

In the same way, some vinyl people think it sounds better because of the frequencies the format supports over digital. I dunno.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
They are working: they're making an album. They just want to be guaranteed money for it.
Yeah Kenny, I get it. Wish it was easier for nobody's to raise 150k, than it would be for an insitution that full knows, that they're taking advantage of the fans, while cramming this rainbow up their ass, telling the them they're somehow in this inclusive special part of their development process. Which is complete crap.

I mean, come on. Next up the leafs will be asking for crowd funding.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

wickedken

TRIBE Member
It's really like a concert: the concert would be cancelled is not enough tickets were sold. In this way TLC will make an album only if they enough people want to hear it. Market-based approach at its best.

What's worse is when a business asks for capital via this method, like the restaurant on Queen St who totally got called out on it.

Most professional sports teams actually do ask for crowdfunding, but its called taxes spent by cities on stadiums, tax credits etc. Who throws away a leafs jersey anyways.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
But If you give TLC Money up front, the album will probably take from 1967 to 2015 onwards, to develop a winner.

You can throw hats on the ice to celebrate, but certainly no jerseys in protest. Looks bad for marketing.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
No one tosses a hat during live play,let alone when we have the puck in the visitors end with pressure. That should be Chargeable & carry a lifetime ban. So lame.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
i wouldnt buy anything this pile of crap is selling

talk about a complete sell out who is shilling for more and demanding everyone do less

hypocrite say what

why is it always the largest abusers always reprimand everyone else for simply living while they do exactly what they decry

Do you understand what a passion project is vs. shilling?