• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What's the cheapest thing I can use to stream internet to my tv

erika

TRIBE Member
Someone suggested a PS3; they are close to $300. Can I find something cheaper that will do that?

I'm not interested in games etc..

Thank you tribe

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
do you have a laptop?

if so , does it have an HDMI out?

dos your TV have an HDMI in?

if you said yes to all three, then you can go that route.

alternatively if your laptop has a VGA out you can also get a VGA - HDMI adapter.

if you have a mac, you can get a dispaly port to HDMI adapter as well.

just getting a cable to hook up your existing computer to your TV is the best way and then a wireless keyboard and mouse.

if you go the VGA to HDMI route, or dispaly port - HDMI you would also need to hook up sound to the tv via a 3.5mm to RCA Y-Jack

erika

TRIBE Member
I don't have a laptop, that's the issue. I have a desktop in another room and wi-fi, but haven't made the leap to any other device yet.

When my sweetie is over with his we have used it with an HDMI cable, but I want something all the time just for me :)

I was contemplating a tablet, but people tell me it won't have the oomph I need to stream stuff.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I've been happy with my Boxee Box - it streams, aggregates videos from your social networks, can play Netflix as well as any other video file you can throw at it through its two USB ports. Pair it with a wireless USB keyboard for maximum effectiveness. It's under $200.

Apple TV, Roku 2XS, WDTV live all work similarly, just not as well in my opinion.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
What do you want to stream, websites, or shit like Netflix, hulu, etc?
This.

I am very fond of the MK802 devices. They are just slightly bigger than a USB stick and plug directly into your HDMI port in the back of your TV. The newest model (MK802 IV) is a quad core chip with 2 gigs of ram and has Android 4.2, bluetooth etc.. So you can browse using Chrome, watch Netflix, install XMBC (awesome media center with some cool plugs) etc.. You can pick up this one for about $99 and the older MK802 IIIs is about $65.

For a remote control, you can use an app on your android phone, or use one of those "flying" mice - think the WII remote, but there is a keyboard on it as well.

Another good thing about these is (especially if you have a USB port on your to power it), there is no wires, and your TV essentially becomes a "smart TV" .

Jay

erika

TRIBE Member
how far away is the other room?

does your computer have HDMI out?
Down a hall past the bathroom, so a bit far I think for that approach :)

I've been happy with my Boxee Box - it streams, aggregates videos from your social networks, can play Netflix as well as any other video file you can throw at it through its two USB ports. Pair it with a wireless USB keyboard for maximum effectiveness. It's under $200.

Apple TV, Roku 2XS, WDTV live all work similarly, just not as well in my opinion.
This sounds like a good option

This.

I am very fond of the MK802 devices. They are just slightly bigger than a USB stick and plug directly into your HDMI port in the back of your TV. The newest model (MK802 IV) is a quad core chip with 2 gigs of ram and has Android 4.2, bluetooth etc.. So you can browse using Chrome, watch Netflix, install XMBC (awesome media center with some cool plugs) etc.. You can pick up this one for about $99 and the older MK802 IIIs is about $65.

For a remote control, you can use an app on your android phone, or use one of those "flying" mice - think the WII remote, but there is a keyboard on it as well.

Another good thing about these is (especially if you have a USB port on your to power it), there is no wires, and your TV essentially becomes a "smart TV" .

Jay
And so does this.

thanks guys!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

philly

TRIBE Member
This.

Jay
Do you just stream off the web? Have you tried playing HD files? Just wondering coz I was looking into this option but read there's a bottle neck at the GPU and can get glitchy?

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Do you just stream off the web? Have you tried playing HD files? Just wondering coz I was looking into this option but read there's a bottle neck at the GPU and can get glitchy?
Full 1080p is meh through XBMC, but there are other players that will play HD ok.

Problem is, XBMC does not get much help from the chip makers to make use of the hardware acceleration. It will come, just not soon enough :)

I ordered the new quad core version, and when it comes in I will report back.

Jay

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I use Apple TV which allows me to mirror from my laptop.
it also streams netflix Hulu etc
the controller is very easy to use and runs around $100

most people I know with Boxee hate the controller, same thing with Google tv.

erika

TRIBE Member
After using my sweetie's laptop for a while to do it, I caved and bought my own, a cheapie. It will work fine when I figure out which one of the five zillion numbers is the one I'm supposed to type in for the password on there :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders