1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What's the best mobile provider?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by djfear, Dec 3, 2015.

1. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Rogers?
    Telus?
    Bell?
    Fido?
    Koodo?
    Wind? (NOPE!)
    Mobilicity?

I'm talking about coverage, dropped calls, data speed, etc.

I had Wind Mobile for the last 3 years and I must say it's been an absolute failure. It doesn't work in my office, it drops calls, and the "unlimited" gets throttled at like 3.5GB. I need a change.

The plans are almost all the same, and I think I'll be getting something in the $40-50+tax range with my own phone so that I'm not locked into any plan.

2. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

See if you can find someone online who's selling an old 6gb plan in the hood of 70$/month.

Otherwise, U GONNA GET RAPED

3. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

If you're in the city the service is virtually the same with Bell, Telus, and Rogers.
    Also,
    Koodo = Telus
    Virgin = Bell
    Fido = Rogers

Fido, Koodo, and Virgin had pretty good deals on Black Friday. They were giving 1 extra GB on bring your own phone planes. I left Telus after about 15 years with them for Fido. $49 for 2GB, unlimited canada wide talk and unlimited international text. I would wait for around Boxing Day they might have deals again.

4. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

You have to go for one of those three (Fido, Virgin, Koodo) to get a low paying rate. Similar rates surprisingly are around $80/month with the big three for almost the same amount of features. I may just suck it up and go month to month when my contract expires this month because I have a 6GB data plan and for the same amount of money on a 2 year contract they want to give me only 2.5GB. I don't care for unlimited calling because I don't talk that often on it during the day. Nights and weekend are unlimited so that's fine by me.

Lobo

5. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

Switched to Fido years ago and have no complaints. I've found their customer service generally helpful, especially good considering they are owned by Rogers who can be a nightmare to deal with.

6. Bernnie Federko

I've been in the m2m world with a my10 6gb plan on Roger's for a while. No sense downgrading to save 4 bucks each bill. Especially when it means halving the data.

7. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I'm going to do this. Fido or Koodo would be my preference.

Now I just need a newer better phone, and once I get Beanfield at home then I'll be unstoppable!

8. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  9. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Dropped Wind for Koodo around this time last year, and i have no complaints.

-Zero billing issues, same payment every month.
    -Took advantage of the SKMB 5 gig plan / loophole for $48 a month. Unlimited Canada wide minutes and LD included. No "Zones"!!
    -Sits on Telus network.

Right now is a good time to switch because the gift card promo is still running I think.

Jay

10. Bernnie Federko

That's a great deal XTCFreak

11. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

Been with Fido before Rogers bought them out, no complaints. Before Rogers bought them their range was shit. I was in scarb and I would lose my signal just north of hwy 7 now they use the Rogers towers.

12. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I might have a hook up for some sweet deal, but in the meantime I'm going to switch to koodo or fido for some $45 plan. I can't deal with Wind anymore. They're one failure after another.

On a semi-related note, does anyone know how to unblacklist a phone? My gf bought an S5 off of kijiji in the summer and about 2 months ago the carrier said her phone was getting blacklisted. This was after about 4 months of good use. :( It makes me very suspicious of buying used phones now.

13. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

You can't. Your gf brought a stolen phone that's why it was blacklisted.

14. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Yeah I know, it sucks! She's out a lot of money for that. I bought her a OnePlus X as an early Christmas present. She doesn't like it as much though.

I should just buy her something else and use her OnePlus for myself.

15. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Rogers is the best by a country mile in terms of cellular service, however it's the unstable billing and the need to constantly call to have your contract honored that is the rub.

I'm with Telus right now and locked in to a corporate plan until April 2017, the customer service is excellent but their cellular service is not as advertised. I rarely get full signal on my iphone 6+. the data speeds are embarrassing 2mb/dl 1mb/ul almost whenever I need to use my phone. I believe they are throttling customers and when i asked about this they stopped troubleshooting my issue (which they had a dedicated network rep look after with me for 2 months), since i asked about throttling they have stopped all communications which I found odd. Also Telus front line service is located outside Canada, which is something I refuse to accept and always ask for a Canadian call centre.

As for Bell, they and Telus share towers. I can't speak for Bell as I will never directly give them another penny in my life as they re-write contracts after the fact to include clauses that were not agreed upon. When I was 16 and had a pager :p, they had collections hound me for a year saying I was locked in to a contract. I finally showed Bell head office a copy of the original contract and they backed off.

Wind, I've heard has the best plans but the worst service both customer and network. it's a shame as they could have really helped consumers head they went about their entry into the marketplace a bit more proactively.

16. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I know so many people who have ridiculous plans, like 6GB with rogers, 250 minutes, $55.

I see similar plans and it's all like $55 for 1GB of data and unlimited calling. Canada seems to have the worst cell plans. Even the States have some kick ass plans with unlimited everything + 5GB for $45

17. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Those people are probably on their last legs for their 2 or 3 year contracts. I was there too with a 6GB data plan with 250 minutes, unlimited incoming and early evenings all for $65ish with taxes.

Sadly, the contract expired last week and I'm now upwards of $90 taxes in for the same plan. I can't upgrade my phone through Rogers because then I'd have to give up the 6GB data plan and go to some lower tier which I don't want.

Lobo

18. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

I'm toying around with switching to Mobilicity. They currently have a $40 unlimited everything deal that ends Jan 3rd.

I've heard bad things about mobility in the past, but now that they've been bought by Rogers they're in the process of switching over to the Rogers network, and apparently Rogers is saying they will grandfather the older mobility plans. They will however keep the limited mobility coverage (not a big deal if you stay in the toronto area, but oakville & ajax are not covered currently and are considered "roaming")

$40 for unlimited everything on the rogers network would be pretty sweet.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  19. Bernnie Federko

This is me, except I'm coming in at $77/month all in after my bill credits expired in the summer.

Thought that the federal government was supposed to have mandated better terms & pricing for Canadians...

20. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

Are you freaking kidding me???

Let her buy her own damn phone. Ungrateful cunt.

21. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Sadly no. I think all the gov't did was to stop them from forcing customers into 3 year plans and something about early termination fees. They couldn't do anything about the high prices we pay and it bugs me to no end that as soon as one of the big guys raises their prices, the other two follow suit. I more than welcome some U.S. based carrier like Verizon coming up here with the buckets of cash to start deploying their own towers and giving the big three a run for their money.

Lobo

22. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Woah take it easy... she's grateful, just bummed out that she got screwed over her original phone which she preferred.

23. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I dont think our market is attractive enough to Verizon to do this, and the established telcos are already way ahead on infrastructure, which for a country the size of Canada is no joke.

Maybe it would be different if we had a potential market of over 300 million to make huge investments in network infrastructure here more palatable to a new entrant - but Verizon was flirting with the idea and backed out, likely for lack of a suitable business case (huge up front costs, established rivals, long-term payback low)

And I'm unsure how being upset with "monolithic, giant telcos" is resolved by adding an even larger Telco who will likely have comparable service quality and similar irritants they drive into their base - its a weird idea that frustrations with Bell/Rogers/Telus would NOT be similar with someone like Verizon in Canada. Perhaps just the impact of capitalist mantra: more competition = always better?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  24. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

or maybe the "grass is greener" effect?

25. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

fucking crooks, Bell is.