• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What's that, Lassie?! (or, the "My Pet Saved My Ass" Thread)

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Okay, so maybe my experience this morning isn't exactly a miracle, but it sure saved my ass...

I set my alarm for PM accidentally last night. I was awoken JUST in time this morning by a VERY insistant, meowing Addy (my very mangey kitty who's usually totally calm and collected [or sleeping] in the morning) I got out the door *just* in time for work.

I checked to see what all the fuss was about, but she had lots of food, the door was wide open for her to get in the room (she usually whines if I close my door so she can't get in) and there was nothing in sight to cause her to behave so strangely.

This wouldn't normally be a huge deal, except for the fact that:

a) I'm responsible for opening the office in the morning, thus, me being late is BAD news.

b) I was just given a warning 2 weeks ago about lates/sick days. It would NOT have looked good if I came wandering in to the office at noon o' clock. Heh.

So, in honour of Addy, here's a thread where you can share your similar (or perhaps more exciting) stories of your pets and their admirable qualities, or even more exhilirating tales of search, rescue, and recovery!

Meow!

:)

kmac

TRIBE Member
My dog is dumb as a sack of hammers and blind so he's never really saved my ass or helped me in any way, although he's a good reminder that things could always be worse.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
My cat wakes me up all the time but never when I need to wake up...

other then that hes a lazy sod who eats and sleeps all day

squirrely

TRIBE Member
my brother-in-law's old family dog was whining really insistently one morning, just being a total pain. his sister couldn't figure out what was wrong so she finally just had to leave for the day, after confining the dog to a room.

unfortunately, the dog was whining because a small fire had started, and he died when it spread.

um, yeah.

awful story.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
My cat has often woken me up minutes before my alarm on weekdays but lets me sleep on weekends. Everytime I've slept in she has woken me up after about 30 minutes of oversleeping.

nawberry

TRIBE Member
My dog helped me get through my parents divorce when I was six.

I hope to get a puppy (Italian greyhound, Manchester Terrier or Toy Fox Terrier) within the next few months.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by nawberry

I hope to get a puppy (Italian greyhound, Manchester Terrier or Toy Fox Terrier) within the next few months.
dude, adopt a greyhound. seriously the best pets and your karma will be fuckin' golden.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
awe :)

my black lab buddy helped me through a bad breakup a couple years back...unconditional love and cuddles

nawberry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
dude, adopt a greyhound. seriously the best pets and your karma will be fuckin' golden.
I would adopt a greyhound (I love sighthounds) but I live in a two bedroom downtown apartment. That is why I am leaning towards smaller dogs.

derek

TRIBE Member
my dog has found the trail for me numerous times while hiking on wilderness trails that disappear.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
i'm going to get a greyhound and just make him an excercise wheel for him to play on.

my gerbils loved it when i was 6, i don't see how this would be any different.

also -- this thread needs more positive pet stories. i'll start making some up soon if this doesn't improve.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
I would adopt a greyhound (I love sighthounds) but I live in a two bedroom downtown apartment. That is why I am leaning towards smaller dogs.
i've actually spoken to a number of greyhound owners who say that they're a perfect breed for apartment life. they run fast, but they're quite docile at home, especially the dogs that are retired racers. they're used to confinement, and they feel safest that way.

i still have lots more research to do, but i'm 99.9% positive that a retired greyhound will be my next pet. :)

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by le bricoleur
squirrely's dog gracie has constant diarrhea. poor squirrely.

~b
yeah, most recently it was just drops of blood.

poor tiny dog. :( i have a feeling her life is going to be plagued with this kinda stuff. she's been pretty sickly since day 1....but she doesn't let it interfere with her awesomeness.

<3

lucky1

TRIBE Member
^ Have you had it checked out by the vet? Stool samples etc? my cat had problems like that, and turns out kitty has colitis. I switched him onto special food, and it cleared up

nawberry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JESuX
also -- this thread needs more positive pet stories. i'll start making some up soon if this doesn't improve.
My childhood dog, BJ, had an amazing knack for spotting the weak and/or careless among my friend group and taking advantage of said weakness. BJ was blind but very fast and shifty and would always successfully snatch a slice right out of the hands of one of my unexpecting friends when a group of us were sharing a pizza. It was tremendously entertaining, particularly when the same individual fell victim to BJ more than once in a sitting. I think that my friend Adam may never have actually been able to get thorugh a whole slice of pizza.

I wouldnt go so far as to classify BJs pizza snatching as a miracle, but nonetheless it is still something that I chuckle about.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
My cat has often woken me up minutes before my alarm on weekdays but lets me sleep on weekends. Everytime I've slept in she has woken me up after about 30 minutes of oversleeping.

kmac

TRIBE Member
BJ was blind but very fast and shifty and would always successfully snatch a slice right out of the hands of one of my unexpecting friends when a group of us were sharing a pizza.
My blind dog's name is PJ.

*cue Twilight Zone theme*

nawberry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kmac
My blind dog's name is PJ.

*cue Twilight Zone theme*
Did you come up with the name PJ?

I came up with BJ myself, I was six.

His full name was BJ Doggy Rover (bear in mind I was six).

He was a Basenji, which is a type of hound, that looks something like this (not actually BJ), he went blind at 2 due to a hereditary disease:

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
i've actually spoken to a number of greyhound owners who say that they're a perfect breed for apartment life. they run fast, but they're quite docile at home, especially the dogs that are retired racers. they're used to confinement, and they feel safest that way.

i still have lots more research to do, but i'm 99.9% positive that a retired greyhound will be my next pet. :)
would naming your dog santa's little helper be too cliche?

i hope not.