• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What's state of the art now for robust video-editing computers?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Now that I am doing a fair amount of video editing, I can see how even a little faster is better. Currently using a Ryzen 7 2700X 8 core with 32 gb of RAM. SSDs. It is sluggish sometimes. I may have to go faster soon.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

praktik

TRIBE Member
AMD is pretty top notch. 5900/5950x are the pinnacle of performance and might be where you want to go given you have not too shabby performance today in the 2700x (going less than top end for the 5950 might make the change less "worth it". You'll see the 5950x have a lot more beef in handbrake and should be better for video editing: CPU 2021 Benchmarks - Compare Products on AnandTech

The newest AMD mobos have a lot more PCIE 4.0 lanes: X570S is the newest top line mobo chipset and X570 was the previous. Motherboards on this chipset from AMD or Gigabyte would give you all you need and more I bet! If your use-case is cool with fewer PCI lanes that are 4.0, B550 is a great value prop and the chipset I use @ home currently. A top end 570 board can be 500-1000. A reasonable B550 can be had for 180 or less.

praktik

TRIBE Member
OOPS - meant "Motherboards on this chipset from Asus or Gigabyte" - was trying to put in a reco for those two brands. Back on gigabyte after a bunch of years on Asus and it's been pretty solid! Certainly stick to these two brands but ASRock is in the mix and is a sister brand to Asus.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Now that I am doing a fair amount of video editing, I can see how even a little faster is better. Currently using a Ryzen 7 2700X 8 core with 32 gb of RAM. SSDs. It is sluggish sometimes. I may have to go faster soon.

Oh and check this news out: AMD Will Offer V-Cache on AM4, Updated AM5 With Next-Gen PCIe 5.0 Coming in 2022 - ExtremeTech

AM4 getting a refresh of processors in first half next year. It means one route might be to get something like a 5700 or 5800x to start, then save up a bit and dump the top end REFRESHED AMD processor in second half 2022 or 2023 -> the top end of AMD will be stretched and pushed farther with the refresh, so maybe getting top of the line right now would be something to do only if you're flush with cash as you would be 2nd best after the top end refresh CPU comes out in a few months!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
How much of the processing of video files in Premiere type software is done on the CPU vs the graphics card I wonder?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
How much of the processing of video files in Premiere type software is done on the CPU vs the graphics card I wonder?
Probably the CPU makes the single biggest difference. Issue with GPUs is the beefiest ones that could accelerate your jobs the most are gonna be a pretty penny, far above MSRP, cause of miners causing a run on supply.

One exception is a prebuilt system, where it's the easiest way to get a 3080 for close to what MSRP should be - if you can get one AT ALL