• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Whats it going to be then, eh?

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Everyone has different goals and ideas when it comes to making music.

Some want to create dance music, to try to give to other people the wonderful 'vibe' they have enjoyed so much well rocking out on the dance floor... Others want to push the musical boundaries, exploring and experimenting in the hopes of achieving that new great sound. Some just want to have fun, and make some cool tunes to listen to when they are baked... Some are in it for the groupies.

Noone can say that any one reason is more or less valid than another, but I think it is important to be truthful with ourselves and others in regards to what we want to accomplish.

So, in the hopes of starting up an interesting discussion, I ask you, denizens of the Tribe Producers room: Why do you make music? What do you hope to accomplish?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

dig this

TRIBE Member
Great thread...

It's plain & simple... I get tunes in my head that I want to get out. I used to listen to house & tech and think "shit, this would sound really good right here", so my goal is to try and re-create what I imagine... I've also been pretty musically involved whether it be guitar or drums since i was 10 years old, so it's just natural to try & play the music I listen to.

who am i kidding... i'm just trying to get laid like any other guy that plays music.

Winick

TRIBE Member
This is gonna sound so stupid, buts its honest... I love the feeling I get when I hear really sharp minimal analog percussive sounds in sequence on a huge sound system. I use to want guys like Jeff Milligan on the biggest sound system I could find. When I was younger I travelled a lot to hear that sound. I loved the way it made me feel, loved the way my body felt, loved the fact that people danced, alone, in their own space, a 909 kick, some tishy clicky hats, synthetic toms that reverborate and resonate...deep modular synth stabs, bleepy sample and hold space noises, and I wanted to reproduce that feeling anytime I want in my own way. When I play live, I wish I could be on the floor dancing to it instead of behind the sound wall making it. I'd make a track, leave it loop, come to the dance floor, smoke a joint, trip out to it, and go back and make something different and repeat that process. But I LOVE playing live, I love taking the electronic music programming experience to huge sound systems and industrial structural surroundings. Its all about the fetish for what pure synthesis can produce rhythmically. Most of the time, if its musical, its not by composition, but by discovery and nuance of two completely unrelated sounds, and how the mesh together sonically whether it be harmoniously or contrastly. Honestly, if you want to know what I'm talking about, Reaktor is really really good at recreating this scenario. Besides a studio full of analog gear, or analog styled gear (drum machines that step write, electribes, step programming machine boxes, effects, real samplers).

Plastik Products parties, used to be as much about the atmosphere of techno as much as the sound of techno. Anyone ever make it out to the Jak parties? Alien parties were really great at this too. In the states, Poor Boy, System, Detor, all great a throwing pure techno atmospheric parties. And the DJ's who played these parties knew it and were more approachable and confortable then playing big clubs or raves. It was way easier to meet people back then. Anyways long story short. I enjoyed the whole experience of the techno of the mid to late 90's and didn't want to wait for someone else to provide it for me. Thats why I make techno. I just makes me feel amazing. And if someone else shares that love and wants in on it, its quite connecting and intimate to share it. whether it be collaborating in a studio and sharing gear, or playing live somewhere or someone just wanting to sit and listen to your tracks with you. Any producer who denise that feels great is lying. Hearing your records or recordings at a party on a big system kinda reproduces that feeling for me ,but not as much as actually sharing the techno track programming experience with people. And I guess the gear aspect of it. I guess its my vice. I love gear. I love watching my step lights go and hearing really trippy rhythms come out of those bleepy lights. Its my Yoga I guess.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i do it because i have a secret fetish for when people steal my tracks and use em on their own album. man that turns me on.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
there are enough reasons why..... but i think over time the reason i do it still is cause it's all i konw... its all i love. and like all of us.... it really feels good when that one tweak makes it just that much more awesome. Or using that one synth/drum/sample really expresses more then just a sound. And in an obsessive compulsive way.... it's a joy to be into something that no matter how deep you dig... there's always a layer deeper. no matter how much you figure out... there's still more questions to answer....

that's ultimately is why i still do it..... I wish i could master it, but i know that i never fully will. and all that other stuff.... stuff that comes with being true to the passion of it. it comes and goes.... but its the root passion stays the same. that we all share....

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
always for fun, sometimes for groupies :D

it's all about acting like a total fucking monkey in the studio(s)

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
I do it because I love it when I can amaze myself. Now when I think back to when I first started and never thought I would ever get to where I am now. I also keep learning and trying new things, which keeps myself interested when I get goosebumps from stuff I've created.
Music for me has proven if I put my mind towards something I can accomplish it.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
causing instant involuntarily ear to ear grinning, be it on the dancefloor or at home on the 'phones, is the goal.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
causing instant involuntarily ear to ear grinning, be it on the dancefloor or at home on the 'phones, is the goal.

nothing makes me grin more than dark, dark, dark, and heavy, d n' b. and b n' d but that's another story...