• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What were you favourite movies of the year?

Woody

TRIBE Member
Mine were:

1. City of God (best movie of the year)
2. Finding Nemo
3. Pirates of the Caribbean

Obviously I didn't get out to see a lot this year ;)

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
too soon to say - some of the 2003 films won't see our theatres til Jan or Feb (Fog of War, Monster).

So far I'd say Shattered Glass. I thought it was really smart about workplace politics (I think people who see it as a film about journalism are kinda missing the point), and suspenseful in a weird way, even though you know what happens.

Mystic River and Lost in Translation I really enjoyed but IMO are getting elevated in stature by the superb acting (Murray of course, and just about everyone in Mystic, esp. Robbins)- M.R. has a couple story problems and the whole souls connecting in a foreign place has been done plenty of times (I've no idea how L.I.T. wins the Toronto Critics best screenplay nod when by all accounts, Bill's dialogue wasn't heavily scripted but rather his doing/genius).

Most enjoyable time I had at the theatre was Spellbound, the doc about the national spelling bee. Weather Underground was another really good doc.

Plan on checking out Barbarian Invasions and Elephant in the next week or so.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

physix

TRIBE Member
THE EVENT <-- saddest movie ever! Olyvia Dukakis does not fail to drop some science!
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
LOTR:ROTK

runner up:

Spykids 3
but only when Elijah Wood is on the screen!

d.code

TRIBE Member
1. ROTK
2. Matrix: reloaded
3. Kill Bill vol.1
4. Finding Nemo
5. Pirates of the Carribean.

as a note though..

id say this year was a CRAPTASTIC year for movies.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Woody
Mine were:

1. City of God (best movie of the year)
2. Finding Nemo
3. Pirates of the Caribbean

Obviously I didn't get out to see a lot this year ;)
city of god WAS the best movie this year...by far...I hope oscar recognizes that

for me this year was full of nice surprises...

Kill bill 1
morvern callar
return of the king
spider
and most notably AMERICAN SPLENDOR...im buying this right when it hits shelves:)

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
shocker of the year(would be on my best of if it wasn't so self-indulgent) IRREVERSABLE!...

the backwards timeframe really made me like the movie a lot more had it been in real time but that rape scene was nuts:(

second place:Ken park(I believe it was this year)

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: What were you favourite movies of the year?

Originally posted by terrawrist III
city of god WAS the best movie this year...by far...I hope oscar recognizes that
was eligible this year for foreign film, not the upcoming Awards.
Is eligible for Best Picture category, but that won't happen.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
My fave were

Old School
Finding Nemo
Pirates of the Carribbean..

and I have seen Return of the king.. It was good but overrated.. and isn't my fave movie of the year.

bucky

TRIBE Member
Pirates of the Caribean
Finding Nemo
Bad Boys 2
Old School
Cheaper by the Dozen (not a blockbuster, just a very nice movie!)
LOTR Return of the King - solely because it wrapped up the best action trilogy ever!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
lost in translation
28 days later (*scratching head* or was that last year)

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
- finding nemo
- 28 days later
- lost in translation
- the principles of lust
- wilbur wants to kill himself

saw the last two at the film fest and loved them :)

oh - and i know it came out elsewhere earlier, but i only saw "bend it like beckham" first in theatres this year, so i add that to my list.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: What were you favourite movies of the year?

Originally posted by terrawrist III

for me this year was full of nice surprises...

Kill bill 1
morvern callar
return of the king
spider
and most notably AMERICAN SPLENDOR...im buying this right when it hits shelves:)
I found Morvern Callar to be sort of a hollow film. I loved the premise when I saw the preview, and the soundtrack drew me in right away, but as a whole I didn't feel like it went anywhere. I suppose some would say that might be the point, but it clearly isn't. The title character is looking to move ahead with her life, but just ends up running away from her responsibilities without growing as a person at all. Some of the acting was a little touch and go as well. I think the novel may have been a better way to go with this one than the film. Glad someone else saw it though.

My faves this year (dunno about order):

Dirty Pretty Things
Better Luck Tomorrow
Was tunn, wenn's brent? (Released 2001 in Germany, but not here until this year I believe)
21 Grams
Big Fish
Lost In Translation
Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World
28 Days Later
Pirates Of The Carribean
Kill Bill Vol. 1
The Good Thief

Those are the highlights. The dissapointments are too long to list.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Skipper
Something's gotta give. I may see it again in the theatre.
i saw that today, it's cute... it's got some good dialogue, however i still don't know if I buy Keanu R. as a doctor.
it's got some good humour here and there as well.

for me

Old School
Lost in Translation
more to come.....

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
I saw 21 grams today as well... I liked it. However, it moved very very very slow. It was a powerful little film, but geeez, very slow pace and development of the story IMO. And then 3/4 into the film you know how it is going to end but the director drags it through some really nice cinematographic shots..but they eat up some time that could have been spent in getting to the conclusion of the movie. Still not a bad movie and worth seeing.
I also liked ROTK for sure up there as one of my favs. for the year.

Originally posted by SneakyPete
What's this City of God? I've never heard of it (I don't watch a lot of movies).
It's the true events of the lives of gangs in the Brazillian city. City of God refers to the slums that house some of the poorest and most ruthless kids (many of whom fancy themselves as gangsters). It spans from the late 60's to the 80's I believe, but they aren't super specific.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders