• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What was your favourite anthem circa 96-99?

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by mandapanda
hehe ;)
breeder - the chain
Yeah, add that one to my list. I remember 'discovering' this record at Bowggy Records in Ottawa. It was hidden in some obscure bin like someone placed it there when they couldn't afford it but wanted to come back for it. It was probably that Copeland character. ;)

I remember ROCKING the shit out of this tune any chance I got. Ahhh yes, good ole 1999. What a year! Add NYFM to my list too.

It was weird 'cause I picked it up and Breeder weren't the Breeder at that point. I remembering thinking just how different it sounded to everything else I was playing at the time. It's weird how everyone followed suit with their sound. True innovators.

Cheers,
J<

Ride

TRIBE Member
One of my favs from '98 was Arrola - Dreaming. The dj at Paradise Factory in Manchester used to mix two copies of this for about 10 mins and the crowd would go beyond wild during the bongo builds, then he would go into the flip version (M.Darey mix) to take the roof off. Still love that spanish guitar and vocal line. Was this record going off in TO at the time, or soon after?

slingshot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SneakyPete
A lot of the tracks mentioned are on Oakenfold's Tranceport album. :)
That's cuz a lot of people broke into the scene through Oakey.

ss

p.s. Oslo GU was the first disc that really go me into it.

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
sasha and emerson...ah, brain cramp can't recall name but you all know it - one of the sickest tracks...

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by videotronic
the chain was crap
when it came out it had a massive impact tho...same with Twilo Thunder

i have way too many fave anthems for 96-99 that i couldn't possibly answer this :)

slingshot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by erikwh
ahh seconded..

hey ss are you still going to the lotus? sad not be back home in vancouver this summer...

erik
Naw Erik, I moved to Montreal in December. Where you at this summer?

ss

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Kalemic
I'm currently thinking mine is "Chris Raven - I know you love me too".
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

just f'in huge!!!!

The Van Bellen mix holds more memories for me then I could squeeze into a single post...

Sasha dropped it at 8:30ish at Betterdays "The Last Dance" in the Guvernment I guess about 7 years ago now?? (geeze)

Still to this day the amount of chills and goosebumps I got when a still PACKED (and almost tearful) guv put every hand in the house up into the air during that breakdown has yet to me matched... One of the most emotion packed events I've ever been to in my life and that song was the staple holding it all in place as far as I'm concerned...

amazing call...as luck would have it I recieved the record by fluke when a friend had it handed to him on promo while in the UK. It wasn't really his thing and he gave it straight to me...

Darren

Last edited:

videotronic

TRIBE Member
see..twilo thunder...sounds odd today, but at the time i didnt mind it

the chain was just shit though..it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. im getting annoyed even thinking about it..that riff...uggh..

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
the chain was just shit though
Aw man.. I strongly disagree...

around the 3:15 min mark the first very small breakdown occurs and the soon to be unleashed gritty some what bassy synth line is intro'd... when that small break done and the beat drops back in that synth is fully unleashed.. omg.. it still rips right through me...

Now I will admit that a large portion of the song from about another min into it on ward is full of cheese... but hey.. it was like 98 or something... so meh...

it's all about that gritty synth for me though... just thought it was one of the dirtiest things I had ever at the time..

but whatever... like said by many others in this forum.. this music is all pretty subjective... so to each their own and all that..

Darren

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
Madd Nostalgia

There's a bullit in the sky...I'll be by your side...

Really I could list track after track from that era...

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
the chain was just shit though..it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. im getting annoyed even thinking about it..that riff...uggh..
You're just annoyed because I bought the copy you'd set aside at Bowggy. :p

Cheers,
J<

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
today I was listening to

Stoneproof - Everything's Not You (Quivver's Space Mix)

when those horn like synths drop after the main break... wow.. still shakes with a fury....

Darren

videotronic

TRIBE Member
please loopy..do not try to transfer your embarassment at your poor taste on to me..

and smack...open your eyes?? sweet baby jesus...what would craig say??

ahahha