• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What type of job do you want?

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
2 types

1. Where you enjoy your job and make enough money to live somewhat comfortable?

2. A high paying job that you do not enjoy?

It seems to me that alot of people want to make the big money and will sacrifice their health for these jobs.

Richard

Adam

TRIBE Member
I want to have a high paying job that I love.

Luckily, my passion in life is scamming senior citizens out of pension cheques.

That's the best of both worlds.

chooch

TRIBE Member
currently i have a job that isn't what i want and make enough money to live somewhat comfortable... i would be happy with either of the options you stated. :( this is why i am chosing to leave this job.

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
I have the later job and it sux...

I would like a job in ad sales for a mag. I used to work for one and your job is to take everyone out and get messed up, on company money...all the time.

All music, clothes, booze and cover is free...

Plus it's ez to roll with new ladies all the time.

But here I sit in a tie. Fun FUn Fun.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
I may get to have my dream job come the new year

trouble is I have a pretty solid job right now that pays well and has room to grow and is a good job that I like for a lot of reasons. It also has benefits and I'm already a manager so I'm on the right track here.

i'd have to leave that job and take a risk on the dream job. Which could yeild the big bucks but I could also go bust.

Ah well, I'm getting a break that I never expected to get and I cannot complain. Nice to have this decision to make!

I'm just writing to say it's not that easy to decide between the two!!!

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I choose number one.
I want to enjoy children when I'm still young and healthy.
I would rather pinch and save and go on vacation than have a fancy car and huge house.
I don't want to be tied down to loans and payments.

But, I am thinking now of pursuing a Phd after I finish teacher's college, which could end up being lots of work and needing money so I don't know.

Overall I want a job where I get the satisfaction of doing what I love but also having a life outside of my work.

kat

TRIBE Member
what a silly question..

omg i choose 1 because i am a good person and life is wonderful and always works out nicely

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
what a silly question..

omg i choose 1 because i am a good person and life is wonderful and always works out nicely
I do not think it is silly

Many people take jobs so they can make lots of money and buy stupid things like SUV's and homes that are way too big.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Well obviously life doesn't always work out the way one hopes, but that is my hope in life, if a choice is available.

If my family falls apart and the economy won't support what I want to do then I will take a soul-sucking job and eke out a miserly living.

I think the question was more a question about values and less a question about what you actually are able to do. I value people over things, thus I will pursue the accumulation of relationships and experiences over the accumulation of material.

And I was answering truthfully:p

Adam

TRIBE Member
Well, I'll answer the job on behalf of my roommate, because we've discussed this many times.

He works a job in a field he enjoys, but which is slowly sucking the life and happiness out of him. He works 10+ hours every day, is incredibly stressed, and gets yelled at on a daily basis. He's mentally figured out how he could clean out his office, walk out without anyone noticing and never look back many times.

BUT...he won't, because the potential financial payout is too good.

He's going to have a heart attack before the age of 40, I have no doubt.

At least he's honest, I guess.

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rubytuesday
I think the question was more a question about values and less a question about what you actually are able to do. I value people over things, thus I will pursue the accumulation of relationships and experiences over the accumulation of material.
but do you actually think people are going to say; oh 2 for sure i hate people and caring about things other than money and my big car and big house. muahaha
ps - btw im an evil money obsessed consumer

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kat
but do you actually think people are going to say; oh 2 for sure i hate people and caring about things other than money and my big car and big house. muahaha
ps - btw im an evil money obsessed consumer
I see your point. Ppl are hypocrites.
Like those studies where they ask ppl if they would donate to a charity, and how much. Then they leave and are approached by a charity and no one gives as much as they said or at all.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Actually right now, I'd take a really high paying job I didn't like.

Because I'd pay off my bills, take a vacation and enjoy it.

Then go find a career I truly loved.

But I'm sticking with my current.. 1.5 career!

:D

pr0nstar

Preroller

TRIBE Member
I choose 1 by a long shot. But I think if you can figure it out ie: have your own business doing something you like, then it can work out both ways.

I think my next move is going to be to work in construction for the next 5 years or so. I'd like to get some more experience with different machines, tools, and mediums. I have already gained a lot of great knowledge in building, and would like to be able to take 6 months off in say 10 years from now, and build my own house. I have some great ideas I'd like to see put into fruition.
Luckily, I have a good friend who is an architect. She is helping me get the plans ready and has lots of great ideas of her own.

DAVE

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I haven't found a job that I loved. Until I do I will take the money and prostitue myself.

$250 an hour.... heres to womens lib!!