1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What Toronto Neighborhood Do You Live In and Why is it Awesome?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by nikki.classics, Aug 8, 2010.

1. nikki.classics

nikki.classics TRIBE Member

Well?
    Tell me about where you live in Toronto and why you love it. I'm moving back to the city soon, and I can't decide where I want to set up camp. I used to live in Greektown/Riverdale and I really liked it, but I'm thinking about trying something new.

2. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

When deciding what direction to go in life always stick with the motto "west is the best" and you will be better off.

3. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

I live on the uppermost NE part of Cityplace @ Front & Blue Jays.

It's great because I am within walking distance of anything I could ever want.

It's not so great because, imo, I pay a lot of money to live in a shoebox.

I am considering moving up to Yonge & Eglinton or Yonge & Sheppard.

4. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

One thing I love about living in Parkdale is how close I am to the intersection of queen/king/queensway/roncesvalles - it makes west and northbound travel that much easier.

6. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

none of your beeswax!!!

*Oakville*

:p

I used to live in the Gatybourhood...it was more fabulous than awesome.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  7. nikki.classics

nikki.classics TRIBE Member

Woo thanks! I was in the Parkdale thread earlier today and was disappointed because it was pretty out of date...but that apartment-neighborhood essentials thread may have convinced me to try the area. I really like Leslieville too though.
    I'm so bad at making decisions.

8. Woodbridge

Amazing places to eat, all amenities that are needed for a home are very close by and we got a very big house for what we paid. I miss being close to the downtown core, but I'm happy to be owning my own place and am settling into living in the suburbs slowly.

9. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

update on the apartment-neighbourhood essentials thread:

we got the amazing place in parkdale! we've been here since last weekend, and we're just getting settled in still. no regrets really. the neighbourhood is REALLY different for me, but i'm getting used to it. AND i biked to work on Friday and it was awesome. i've never lived close enough to do that, or felt there was a route i felt good about.

10. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

High Park is my hood.

The park and lakeshore are within walking distance from where i am, great mom and pop fruit/veg stores, great neighborhood bars and restos close by and of course its great to be a 10 dollar cab ride from the parkdale Queen West strip!

11. erika

erika TRIBE Member

West is best for sure
    East has its charms, but it's just so far... east...
    Close to subway helps
    I like being close to the madness but fair away enough (and no, that doesn't mean Woodbridge, that means close to Bloor!).

12. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Yes, if you want "city" action you move right downtown. If you want chilled out and green space, it's best to go around high park.

I've even recommended etobicoke recently to a couple people who wanted to get out of the intensity of the city but be able to get downtown quickly which can be done on the bloor subway. Try doing that going further east. eeek.

13. JAR

JAR TRIBE Member

Parkdale, where there's never a dull moment on the streets, and even if you're hungover and look/feel like shit, you can go to the store and still look better than 90% of the other people.

If you're moving here though, be very careful not to move into a building with bed bugs, because it's a SERIOUS fucking epidemic in this part of the city.

14. Woody

Woody TRIBE Member

Upper beach...

it's awesome cause I live here.... ;)

15. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

I off-handedly asked Sage about bedbugs, and where they come from, and how do you get them? I laid awake for a while after that.

16. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

If you're thinking about Parkdale, forget about the apartment buildings, especially the high-rise types. Look for a flat in a Victorian or one of the much smaller buildings. Not only will you find oodles of character, but you will also find that (at least so far...) the bed bugs have been much less prevalent. Granted, if the Royal York and the Windsor Arms have not been able to avoid them, nowhere is really guaranteed these days. Still, the smaller places are where you want to be, at least in my opinion.

17. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

fully agreed. those buildings are completely ghetto.

we found our absolute dream apartment here, of all places! i was unsure of parkdale, and now i'm totally sure we made the right move. :)

18. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

The Annexe (although im just at the edge...college and bathurst)

-5 minute walk to Little Italy, Kensington & Chinatown.
    -close to the subway (and two 24hr lines)
    -meal from 10 different elasticities for under $10 within walking distance

19. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Korea Town - nice, clean strip of Bloor. Lots of fruit/veg. markets. Christie Pitts for some out there park action, and lots of bars and music within walking distance. And dont forget Honest Eds!

20. sianspherica

sianspherica TRIBE Member

Queens Quay westsiiiiide (around Bathurst/Island Airport)

It's good because it's beautiful, relatively quiet, near great bikepaths, QQ road has bikelanes, lots of parks, close to all the great things on Queens Quay eastside (Harbourfront Centre/HTO Park/Island ferry docks/etc)

It's bad because the westside (west of Spadina) is basically a maze of condos and relatively zero restaurants/retail/bars/grocery stores/nightlife. Hopefully that will change as 5000 more units open up in the next few years.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  21. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

Sunnylea (etobicoke): close to downtown (15-20 minute drive), a plethora of great parks, bloor west village, the kingsway.....lots of tree lined streets and families.

22. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

East is best.

Upper Beaches whoot whoot.

Bloor west village is so last week....

23. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Ditto.

Lobo

24. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Esplanade! (@Sherbourne)

Half way between St Lawrence Market and the Distillery. The Core and Lake is a short walk. Easy access to the DVP/Gardiner and as a biker close to some awesome trails. Plus they're building out the Lakefront which will be nice in a couple of years.

Absolutely love it here.

25. sam

sam TRIBE Member

College/Dovercourt is where I'm at.

GREAT neighbourhood.....I live across from Marquee Video, which is a great little indie video store. The Common Coffee shop (+ wine bar at night) is a few doors down. The West End YMCA and Sunshine Wholesome market is just to the east of me (they have the BEST organic jucies and smoothies in the city). I can walk to West Queen West, Trinity Belwoods, Ossington strip....the Duff Mall is nearby if Walmart is your thing....and Dufferin Grove Park and the Thursday Farmer's Market all rock!!

I have a huge main floor apt with a huge backyard. I LOVE my hood!!