1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

what to look for in a new PC?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by PolishPrincess, Aug 25, 2003.

1. PolishPrincess

PolishPrincess TRIBE Member

my friend Needs a new computer.......
    what should i look for? MB? GB? etc?
    not a MAC!!!

im trying to help a friend who knows nothing about comps...i know a bit...just want to make sure im telling her all the right stuff....

shes going to university.....so a good comp is needed
    with dvd player and cd burner...what else should i tell her?
    thanks!

2. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

pfft.

3. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

hrm, yes. because a dvd player and CD burner are *essential* to getting good grades.

4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

5. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Depends on what they are going to use it for! and how much they can spend.

For the most part if the person is just going to be using it for essays and movies and for music (not production) they can get away with a fairly cheap machine. If they're going to be editiing video or plan to have a small sound studio it changes things alott.

If your going to be using it mainly for university arts programs (heavy on the online reseach low on the computer horse power) you can get away with an AMD Atahalon 1800 (cheap end of the processor) , 256 megs of ram and a 32 meg video card. The DVD player is cheap and a cd burner is cheap. Really your best off sinking your money into a nice monitor.

If your planning on using the machine to render 3d graphics on the other hand you need much much more!

6. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

umm...

Ok...

What's the price range here?

I can tell you what I'd buy,... but it might be a bit expensive.

7. PolishPrincess

Re: Re: what to look for in a new PC?

no....those were other details i added...that she told me she wanted.

mac...lol she said no..sawwy

8. PolishPrincess

i think she said approx $2000? is that not enought? i forget how much i paid for mine last year

9. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

2000 is overkill!!!

but if your spending that kind of coin you can get a kick ass killer machine that will make all the geeks druel!!!

10. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Well... you can definitely get a good computer for about 1000 to 1300$

2000$ is a bit much unless said person is going to be playing games, or rendering graphics.

11. PolishPrincess

no games no graphics....just essays, music, chatting etc

12. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

laptop or desktop?

13. finary

finary TRIBE Promoter

essays? music? chatting?

Hell i'll sell you my old pII 233 w/ 256 ram

Got me through University no problems, whether it be writing that final term paper or blasting MP3's on pub night...

I don't see why you need to spend $1000 or more to use it for school. Unless it's her parents buying it and she wants a sweetass computer.

/f

14. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

15. PolishPrincess

16. PolishPrincess

no pen 2's...lol but thanks!!

she wants a good comp...i said.....80GB 512MB (or something like that)...
    do all Pc's come with a usb port thing?...i remember having to ask for the for mine i think?
    LAN plug?....for high speed?
    what is a good number of Video pixle things?....forget what they are called?

she was thinking of ordering from dell....but doesnt know what to ask for.....

and she wants a flat screen.
    also...if u get a comp with windows xp for example...does it come with virus protection?

17. PolishPrincess

lol...what the hell was that...i said thanks b4 i saw it..???

18. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

USB is pretty standard nbow a days, you might want to check for USB 2.0 as its the newer.

Really 80gb is a huge drive, 20 is on the big side, but I think 30 is the defacto even a cheap machine comes with anyway.

512 megs is on the high side of normal, 256 is the low side of normal much below that is pointless.

You might want to ask if the machine has "firewire" its used by newer digital video cameras and might be useful in the long run.

Flat Screen is cool, bigger is better but they're all over 1024x768 which is more or less the low end of the scale for resolution. (if you get a flat LCD get one with a nice warentee as you'll probably need it in the end).

Get a 10/100 etehernet card (they're all pretty much built in now anyway)

If your going to do DVD's I'd suggest getting the 5.1 sound and getting the speakers at the same time (might as well do surround while your at it)

Really nothing big happened in the world of the computer since USB.

19. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

Speaking of flatscreens, I saw 15" on QVC for $200. That seems like a good deal, I guess prices have dropped alot.

20. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

funny enough... the Flat Screen I want costs 1699$

It's 22inches and does 1600x1200 and makes me want to.... oh .. too late.

21. lok

lok TRIBE Member

eww sticky.

22. PolishPrincess

thanks!!
    i said 512 and 80 cause thats what my comp is and i like it..works great...256 isnt bad i guess. and really 30 would be enough? awesome...thanks!! more help also great! i am calling her now to tell her all this info.

i know not to send her to future shop...what about radio shack?...i saw some nice ones there....?? but i dont like those stores....

any hints?

23. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I want the Samsung 240T ... 22 inch widescreen at 1920 x 1200.

[​IMG]

I gotta find someone to buy my old monitor first, cuz it costs about $5,000. :(

Cheers ... Ian :)

24. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

*SQUIRT!*

Damn... there I go again...

That screen looks like pure sex!

25. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

20 is on the big side??? It is barely enough to install the OS and a few applications. I have 240 GB and am just about out of space. Depends on what kind of kind of files you have (I have lots of audio and video files).

But regardless, buying a 20 GB or 30 GB drive is very shortsighted. My suggestion would be to get at least a 120 GB drive. That should last you for a few years anyways, and they are not that much more expensive.

Cheers ... Ian :)