• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What to do in Hamilton?

justin surdit

TRIBE Member
I have to hang out in Hamilton from 9am tomorrow while my father goes in for a heart valve replacement.

The surgery will take like 6 hours, is there anything near Hamilton General that I could hang out with my mom for a few hours at down in that neck of the woods???

I figured breakfast somewhere and lunch, but have no clue.......don't really wanna hang out and watch the seconds tick off the clock in the hospital......I will need something to take my mind off what's going on (they gave him an 80/20 chance, which is good but not as good as I'd like to hear).

Persephone

TRIBE Member
in the neighbourhood of hamilton general? hrm....I'm not sure there's much down there.

Apparently James st. north has seen a resurgence lately, owing to the opening of a few art galleries. I drove along that strip not too long ago and wasn't overly impressed. I'd go for a little drive to Locke street for breakfast. Plenty of antique shopping there too if she's into that sort of thing. James st. south is also pretty nice. Or, try Westdale (following King street west towards the university). Oh, if your mother is into sewing, definitely check out Ottawa street north.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Persephone said:
in the neighbourhood of hamilton general? hrm....I'm not sure there's much down there.

Apparently James st. north has seen a resurgence lately, owing to the opening of a few art galleries. I drove along that strip not too long ago and wasn't overly impressed. I'd go for a little drive to Locke street for breakfast. Plenty of antique shopping there too if she's into that sort of thing. James st. south is also pretty nice. Or, try Westdale (following King street west towards the university). Oh, if your mother is into sewing, definitely check out Ottawa street north.

I work in Hamilton and in that specific area. There is nothing to do around here except for RUN! But seriously, there is:

Jackson's Square
The bay (nice today, so a walk would be alright)
James street cafe's

AB

acheron

TRIBE Member
There's more than a few abandoned buildings in downtown Hammytown you could go sneaking around in to kill time...

zoo

TRIBE Member
not much to do in that part of town really (in terms of walking distance), but you can drive out to the bayfront park for a pleasant view and fish + chips, or drive closer to main or king and check out a bar or restaurant ...

but that's likepulling missions if you're not from around there ... best bet is hit barton west, go north on a side street, and check out the bayfront park, it's pretty relaxing

billy

TRIBE Member
it sounds like walk and explore is your main option to keep the mind busy. i think i've been to hamilton all of two times, but with any area you are unfamiliar with, walking and exploring is the way to go.

it's how i discovered east vancouver waiting for a bus. can't say i plan to visit east vancouver again.

hope the odds are in your dad's favour.

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
dundurn castle is nice
limeridge mall for some window shopping
chez anne for a nice french lunch ;)
STONEY CREEK DAIRY for the bestest icecream!

zoo

TRIBE Member
Jeffsus said:
HESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

-jM
A&D
Nobody has mentioned Hess because the guy is looking for something to do with his mom while his dad is in surgery. All the best luck to your dad!

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
You can do lunch in Hess Village...

There really is nothing within walking distance of General Hospital that I would recomend though