• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What the hell is "progressive" about progressive?

Suedehead

TRIBE Member
I mean, what the hell is progressive anyway? How can you define that?

That's like calling someone a Mod instead of a 60's revivalist. If you were a Mod of today, you would be all about technology in fashion, art, music, life in general. Not wearing clothes and living a retro existance.

What's so "progressive" about progressive?

rentboy

TRIBE Member
ugh. it's just a name for the genre. It's been called that since it was first coined in the start of the 90s.

I assume the 'progressive' tag is in reference to gelling together various genres to form a sound that is rich in diversity. There are influences from trance (of course techno heads always say prog is trance), techno, house, breakbeat, and in terms of the occasional dark, heavy bassline, even jungle.

this is a very common thread now.

Suedehead

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rentboy
ugh. it's just a name for the genre. It's been called that since it was first coined in the start of the 90s.

I assume the 'progressive' tag is in reference to gelling together various genres to form a sound that is rich in diversity. There are influences from trance (of course techno heads always say prog is trance), techno, house, breakbeat, and in terms of the occasional dark, heavy bassline, even jungle.

this is a very common thread now.

I can't fully agree with your "definition" of what progressive is. What I considered to be progressive in the 90's did not have that tag(except for progressive house, the whole Zoom Records, Billy Nasty, Dave Wesson crew).

Today's progressive is terribly boring for the most part imo. I liked Brothers In Rhythm, Evolution's move to being more trancey(progressive) than house. Other than that there are few "progressive" producers work I find interesting.

Timo Maas I don't think is progressive and I love Andy, Martin and his productions. They are more "disco-tech", early 90's glam-tech feel to them.

Actually, the whole "disco-tech" period is what I would call progressive as it truly did incorporate all the elements you spoke of in your reply rentboy.

I mean Trisco's "Muzak" Is easily one of the best tracks of the last 5 years. Most would call it progressive but it is pure Utah Saints-ish disco sampling with a wicked euro-disco feel. It's Disco-tech!

Wow, I wrote way too much. Anyway, I don't hate progressive so please don't take my thread post that way. I just wanted to read people's answers/opinions.

:)

rentboy

TRIBE Member
fair enough Suedehead.

we're all entitled to our opinions... everyone is going to have a different take on this topic.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Since your the expert suedehead, name some progressive producers / productiosn that you believe dont fit into a definition of progressive.

Suedehead

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by EffinHard
Since your the expert suedehead, name some progressive producers / productiosn that you believe dont fit into a definition of progressive.

By giving one example to help substantiate my point I am saying that I am the expert? I don't think so. I was making a comparison to another genre and simply stating that I felt it more closely related to that movement.

I don't feel that the Breeder boys are progressive for one. I don't think Satoshi Tomiie or Eric Kupper are prog either(even though most believe their sound has evolved into that).

I know small amounts about "your" prog genre/scene.

Why don't you educate me.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Suedehead
I don't feel that the Breeder boys are progressive for one. I don't think Satoshi Tomiie or Eric Kupper are prog either(even though most believe their sound has evolved into that).
I think Satoshi Tomiie is moving away from prog. Scandal in New York was almost electro (progressive-electro perhaps). And I always thought of Eric Kupper as straight up house but I don't pay that much attention to him to be truthful. And Trisco (Suedehead you know my opinion of that song ;) ) is definitely more disco-prog.

If you ask me Progressive is any house or breaks song that isn't epic enough to be trance, funkie enough or too plodding to be house or breaks, and is played by the "headliner" DJ's. There aren't to many 'new' DJs who make a name being a progressive DJ, the just seem to end up there. I'd say it's the elder statesman's house music. You have to have a refined taste to enjoy prog perhaps.

Suedehead

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
I think Satoshi Tomiie is moving away from prog. Scandal in New York was almost electro (progressive-electro perhaps). And I always thought of Eric Kupper as straight up house but I don't pay that much attention to him to be truthful. And Trisco (Suedehead you know my opinion of that song ;) ) is definitely more disco-prog.

If you ask me Progressive is any house or breaks song that isn't epic enough to be trance, funkie enough or too plodding to be house or breaks, and is played by the "headliner" DJ's. There aren't to many 'new' DJs who make a name being a progressive DJ, the just seem to end up there. I'd say it's the elder statesman's house music. You have to have a refined taste to enjoy prog perhaps.

Refined taste! Cheeky git. ;)

I like your definition of prog, I can deal with that. I always found most of it caused me to feel comatose. Music for Special K. It is bland and repetitive, like boring Detroit techno.

There are a few gems but that's with everything.

Dr Funk MD, my Trisco soulmate!

shylock_one

TRIBE Member
My own theory....

Here's my take on "progressive".

Instead of being derived from many other genres (which I will not dispute), I think 'progressive' is apt because the music itself (not the genre) progresses.
A good progressive set will take you from point A to point B (moreso than any other genre imo). I think many people find prog boring because this change is not immediate but rather it is a gradual change over the course of an hour or possibly, a few hours. For me personally, this is the main reason why I will rarely listen to a single track because it usually feels too short. Usually, my appreciation for a track is heightened when I hear it in the context of a well programmed set.

(This is my own explanation, I hope it makes some sense at least, but if you really want to argue about it, it's the same thing as 'alternative music')

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Suedehead

TRIBE Member
Re: My own theory....

Originally posted by shylock_one
Here's my take on "progressive".

Instead of being derived from many other genres (which I will not dispute), I think 'progressive' is apt because the music itself (not the genre) progresses.
A good progressive set will take you from point A to point B (moreso than any other genre imo). I think many people find prog boring because this change is not immediate but rather it is a gradual change over the course of an hour or possibly, a few hours. For me personally, this is the main reason why I will rarely listen to a single track because it usually feels too short. Usually, my appreciation for a track is heightened when I hear it in the context of a well programmed set.

(This is my own explanation, I hope it makes some sense at least, but if you really want to argue about it, it's the same thing as 'alternative music')

See, that's how I feel about Peter Lazonby. I love almost everything that man has done. He has the ability to create that groove that you never want to end. Whether it's trance/house/techno that he's doing. It's a slow progression but what a ride!

I mean "Wavespeech", wow. it could go on forever and I would never get bored of it. That's how I felt about BT for the longest time. He always took me on a well-crafted journey.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
suedehead..if you can, i recommend you take a listen to the parks and wilson essential mix from april 2000. i think this is the best representation of what GOOD progressive is...a journey, a perfect blend of elements/different styles, and just some cool and unique sounds coming from the speakers...

i've converted (ok maybe not that much of a stretch but at least got a 'hey this isn't boring!' ) whenever i've played it for a non-prog lover. and it's got lazonby's sacred cycles in the second half ;)

beh i dunno what i'm saying really, i rarely do. but at least giv'er a go if you can :)

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Re: My own theory....

Originally posted by shylock_one
A good progressive set will take you from point A to point B (moreso than any other genre imo).
This has a lot more to do with the DJ than the genre.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
R Kelly takes me on a journey. He gives me a little *toot toot* and some of that *beep beep*. But then he's not a DJ so never mind. :p

[shameless plug] Suedehead, I forgot to mention that I put that Trisco track on my demo which can be downloaded from the House Room [/shameless plug]

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
R Kelly takes me on a journey. He gives me a little *toot toot* and some of that *beep beep*. But then he's not a DJ so never mind. :p

[shameless plug] Suedehead, I forgot to mention that I put that Trisco track on my demo which can be downloaded from the House Room [/shameless plug]
that is a pretty shitty shameless plug man.

Suedehead

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayIsBored
suedehead..if you can, i recommend you take a listen to the parks and wilson essential mix from april 2000. i think this is the best representation of what GOOD progressive is...a journey, a perfect blend of elements/different styles, and just some cool and unique sounds coming from the speakers...

i've converted (ok maybe not that much of a stretch but at least got a 'hey this isn't boring!' ) whenever i've played it for a non-prog lover. and it's got lazonby's sacred cycles in the second half ;)

beh i dunno what i'm saying really, i rarely do. but at least giv'er a go if you can :)

Thanks. I have liked Parks & Wilson's productions and especially remixes since the mid 90's. They have always had that U.K. House sound going on(a little more processed and electronic than the americans).

I will check it out.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Suedehead

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: What the hell is "progressive" about progressive?

Originally posted by DJ_Science
Why is alternative, alternative?

Hmm... the alternative to what's being played on Top 40 radio.

It actually is the alternative to something. What's so "progressive" about progressive?

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: What the hell is "progressive" about progressive?

Originally posted by Suedehead

It actually is the alternative to something. What's so "progressive" about progressive?
Because the term "progressive" came from the style in the early nineties that was a progression forward from house at that time. I believe the term "progressive house" was coined by Mixmag. Any way, Djs like Digweed and Sasha picked up on this sound .... and the term progressive has simply followed the music they have played since.

Suedehead

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: What the hell is "progressive" about progressive?

Originally posted by coleridge
Because the term "progressive" came from the style in the early nineties that was a progression forward from house at that time. I believe the term "progressive house" was coined by Mixmag. Any way, Djs like Digweed and Sasha picked up on this sound .... and the term progressive has simply followed the music they have played since.

IMO, Mark Oliver picked-up on it before Sasha :)

I completely agree with you. There actually was a progression in the early 90's, a different approah to the production which gave birth to a new sound. Today's "progressive" isn't progressing at all imo. That's why I started the thread.

Don't get me wrong, most genres are at a stand still creatively, have been for some time. I just love that people still use the term progressive when it just isn't true at this stage.

-E

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders