• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What the heck is going on on Queen West?

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
What the heck is going on on Queen West?

Curious about the DEVELOPMENT in the "Queen West Triangle"?
Wanna find out what's happening?
Wanna find out how to get heard?

Come to the "Mini Town Hall"
THURSDAY OCT. 20 7PM
in the Gladstone Ballroom (1214 Queen West)

hosted by CBC Host Jane Farrow & Q&A by Misha Glouberman (of Trampoline Hall fame)

If you wish to know more please email me magda @ active18.org or go to the website http://www.active18.org

This isn't really a roll call but rather an annoucement about our first public meeting & more of a informative post to get people involved. I hope alexD sees the important of this.

ACTIVE18 is a residents/business owners/citizens association comprised of (but not limited to) residents of Ward 18. We have formed quickly to answer to the proposed developments on the south on Queen Street West in the Queen Street Triangle. Especially the proposed condo development on 48 Abell.

thom100

TRIBE Member
thanks for the info....
being that I live right next to the dufferin underpass , I want to know if they are going to dig the damn street out already. I know its on hold for the front street redevelopment....but when that happens it will change the area drastically.

dotytron

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by miss riot Especially the proposed condo development on 48 Abell.

well fuck me......they sold that building? i used to live in there. the grey one with all the lamp store on the main floor right?

i thought you lived on the east side miss riot? how'd you get involved in this? (or i guess, what made you get involved in this particular initiative, would be a better question)

kate

TRIBE Member
I just hope the condo isn't really really fugly.

I live currently right across the street on queen, and have bought a place around the corner. I kinda don't want the area to change too much:)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
can't get as bad as king west and the shitty King towns development (no offence if someone bought in there) but gah.. so many thrown together townhouses + no increase in King W. streetcar service = packed streetcars all the time.... the worst. Thank god I can bike 9 out of 12 months of the year.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
looking at it... I actually don't live in ward 18... I live right next to the purplish/red line though...

am I blind... cause I went to the website and still don't understand what the problem is with building a condo there...

dotytron

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kate
I just hope the condo isn't really really fugly.

I live currently right across the street on queen, and have bought a place around the corner. I kinda don't want the area to change too much:)

it's going to change IMMENSELY in the next few years.

it's just the core expanding to fit the needs of yuppies. the more space the upwardly mobile want to occupy, the less space people on the fringe areas will have, untill lower income people will be progressively shoveled into scarborough, and etobicoke respectively.

the same thing is happening on the other end in the leslieville area......although i'm sure the reactions of the respective communities will differ.....

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Prickly Pete
Only if it had a catchy slogan on it like "Say No to Condo"
Or "we put the NO in Condo! Only you have to spell condo backwards so that it's odnoc! and then...there's a "no" in there.. and that "no" is us."

now that's catchy.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dotytron
it's just the core expanding to fit the needs of yuppies. the more space the upwardly mobile want to occupy, the less space people on the fringe areas will have, untill lower income people will be progressively shoveled into scarborough, and etobicoke respectively.
ah... I've been renting in that area for 5 years... and nothing about that area is cheap... or "low income" to me... granted the difference between 2001 and 2005 is huge from an aesthetics point... and will drive up housing cost further... but its definitely not "low income"...

madnezz

TRIBE Member
or they could just lay off the crack and get a job!

;)

dyad

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Prickly Pete
ah... I've been renting in that area for 5 years... and nothing about that area is cheap... or "low income" to me... granted the difference between 2001 and 2005 is huge from an aesthetics point... and will drive up housing cost further... but its definitely not "low income"...
the apartments above the stores on the drake side of the street are cheaper than any I've encountered in Toronto... suitable for low income. So they are there just hidden.

Everyone I know who has lived in the building in question has a fair amount of coin.

I think its also the issue of tearing down a historic building (although Im not sure its designated as such)

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lucky1
can't get as bad as king west and the shitty King towns development (no offence if someone bought in there) but gah.. so many thrown together townhouses + no increase in King W. streetcar service = packed streetcars all the time.... the worst. Thank god I can bike 9 out of 12 months of the year.
there have been packed streetcars along there for years, not just because of the development over the past few years. i lived at king and niagara in 1998 - 99 and worked at broadview & queen and the king streetcar was perfect for getting to work and yet the bane of my existence because there were never enough streetcars for the amount of people who wanted to take 'em at the same time.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
it's going to change IMMENSELY in the next few years.

pfft. not all 'upwardly mobile' people qualify as what one would normally refer to as yuppies (with the connotations that often go along with that term).

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dyad
I think its also the issue of tearing down a historic building (although Im not sure its designated as such)
that I would have some sympathy for... its too bad its not designated... usually the architect will try to encorporate the front face of the building into the new building... like several old/new developments in the city (the old post office building into the Air Canada Centre, etc.)