• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What the #$*! do we know?

Karim

TRIBE Member

"WHAT THE #$*! DO WE KNOW?!" is a radical departure from convention. It demands a freedom of view and greatness of thought so far unknown, indeed, not even dreamed of since Copernicus. It's a documentary. It's a story. It's mind-blowing special effects. This film plunges you into a world where quantum uncertainty is demonstrated - where neurological processes, and perceptual shifts are engaged and lived by its protagonist - where everything is alive, and reality is changed by every thought.

Anyone see this? It brings up some very interesting points that make alot of sense. What really got to me is the way our thoughts can adjust the way our neurons fire into eachother to make certain feelings and emotions more prevalent. Maybe too many sketchy comedowns can make you perma sketch. Sucks for zoners.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399877/
http://www.whatthebleep.com/

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
awesome movie. But the first time I watched it I smoked and had to watch it agian sober to take it all in :)

deep

TRIBE Member
I thought it was oversimplistic, and at the expense of sounding (already) like a dick I think it's only real value is introducing people to some ideas but not in providing a meaningful understanding of those ideas.

deevah

TRIBE Member
definitely some interesting concepts, some concrete math & phsysics but mostly psuedo-science

kinda like tony robbins does quantum physics with new age healing

Karim

TRIBE Member
deep said:
I thought it was oversimplistic, and at the expense of sounding (already) like a dick I think it's only real value is introducing people to some ideas but not in providing a meaningful understanding of those ideas.
There's only so much you can fit in a 108 minute run time movie.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
I've avoided this movie for the reasons deep said. Its going to be one of those movies like Pi and Waking Life where people rave about the ideas put forward for a couple weeks and then just stop caring.

ps. deeps a dick.

CO2

TRIBE Member
Interesting, to say the least...i like the fact that it challeneges the viewer to existential ideas and concepts, while dabbling into quantum physics and such. The problem i have with it is that most of what is said is heavily flawed, therefore boiling most of the movie down to just new-age hooey.

Although I did like the peptides bit, as well as how positive thinking can affect things around you in positive ways (maybe a sentiment of truth, but what that has to do with quantum physics, i dont know)...but it was interesting.

taken from another site about the movie:
Quantum theory supports the ideas in eastern religions that reality is an illusion. How? Well, in the world of the subatomic, you can never definitely predict a particles location at a specific time. You can only give the odds of it being precisely at one spot at one time. Also, the act of observation seems to affect the event. Solid particles can pass through barriers. All of this, so far, is accurate. But then they assert that that means that if you believed sincerely enough that you could walk through a wall, you could indeed do it. This is complete poppycock. Instead, the theory asserts that at our level, it is possible for you to walk through a wall, but it is merely by chance and has nothing to do with belief. Also you'd have to keep walking into the wall for eternity to ever have even the remotest chance of passing through the wall, the odds are so astronomically against it.
Second, the many-universes interpretation of quantum mechanics--heavily drawn upon in the movie--is by no means universally accepted by theorists. In fact, most of the film's scientific claims would be disputed by mainstream science. This is not a tyranny of the majority; it reflects the basic fact that ideas stand or fall on their merits in the scientific arena. Of course, holders of minority opinions have always responded that the mainstream is just shutting them out. If your points are so valid, it should be easy for you to prove them to me in a way I can believe.

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
deep said:
Agreed. I watched most of it but it got a bit silly & hokey like someone mentioned. Actually, it really pissed me off. I hate this movie! It got on my nerves so bad I wanted to kill everyone, not that I could I guess cos it's all in our heads. their example of how the people didn't see columbus on the sea until much later cos they never saw ships before was sooo ludicrous, bordering on racist.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AshG

It is what it is.
I don't entirely understand why anyone would expect anything approaching the complexity of a dissertation in a format focused on entertainment, and whose approach is clearly introductory and meant to provoke further enquiry on the part of the viewer.

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Never has a movie made me as angry as this one.

The makers had an incredible opportunity to introduce so many people to some of the more unconventional and experimental concepts about the entaglement of science and spirituality and what do they do? Make some asinine story filled with illustrations and charcaters about as legitimate as Ghostbuster's Slimer. And that isn't just an analogy! (sorry for the spoiler)

I'm sure people will say "blah blah you need to relax", but I felt personally insulted when I was watching this film. Why was my curiosity rewarded by a piece of trash that merely brushes over the topics, in a condescending "Fuzzy Bunny's Guide To You-Know-What" sort of tone?

Don't even get me started on that dink and his water experiments.

zorak

TRIBE Member
deep said:
hahah i haven't seen this dude, but i doubt anyone expects it to provide any kind of meaningful understanding of these ideas (the advert has a face floating around with equations. that's only one shade away from "the internet" as portrayed in "hackers")....considering the relatively small number of people worldwide that have what could be considered a good understanding of quantum physics (assuming that's what this movie is about...i live under a rock and therefore have never heard of it).

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
you know what, you're right. I wouldn't want to discredit his contribution to the scientific cause.

How about the Teletubbies? Everyone cool with that? In fact, the more I think of it, the more the Teletubbies analogy seems accurate.

zorak

TRIBE Member
i'm totally cool with you talking smack about the teletubbies....cause they're a bunch of idiots (probably)

but yeah the more i look at the advertisement for this flick, the more i think it's got a good chance of being really bad

deep

TRIBE Member
zorak said:
hahah i haven't seen this dude, but i doubt anyone expects it to provide any kind of meaningful understanding of these ideas (the advert has a face floating around with equations. that's only one shade away from "the internet" as portrayed in "hackers")....considering the relatively small number of people worldwide that have what could be considered a good understanding of quantum physics (assuming that's what this movie is about...i live under a rock and therefore have never heard of it).
It seemed marketed towards the first year university demographic. People seemed to talk mightily about quantum physics, neurobiology and so forth after seeing this, which is why I watched it. Why were these old hat topics suddenly new to people? The introduction hit home to some, which is why I think it's useful to mention there's more out there to go after if people's cranks are turned, cause hopefully that feeling of eyes being opened can continue. I most certainly do not think it was the filmmakers intent to make the final word on the issues discussed, I just think that because of how new the ideas are to some, it can seem that way.

zorak

TRIBE Member
yeah i gotcha deep....good points all around. didn't you like my reference to hackers though? ah just another case of zorak laughing at zorak's own joke.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I saw this movie and was seriously disappointed.

I don't think I was able to finish it. It was... well... boring.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders