• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

what path did you follow?

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Okay,

So I'm almost done with my edumacation at Dork U. and the last few months have been stressful. I've been busy appling to grad. schools and jobs.

I just wanted to hear from some people who are done with school and now have a life outside of school. What was your path, how did you get to where you are?

Also,

for something a little more fun:

What was the most idiotic/funniest thing you did during those college/uni. years.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Uhm, I basically just worked my ass off duruing college and got an intership during my last year of said college.

Working my ass off basically.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lil'Timmy
Uhm, I basically just worked my ass off duruing college and got an intership during my last year of said college.

Working my ass off basically.

That's what I've been doing - two jobs during uni. all the time.

We'll see if it pays off!

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Got hired right after doing my undergrad. Couldn't refuse the job (due to compensation) and so now I'm continuing some graduate courses in various domains because I love school and the profs wanted me to continue my studies. I'm pretty boring, I love to learn shit.

What're you studying?

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
Got hired right after doing my undergrad. Couldn't refuse the job (due to compensation) and so now I'm continuing some graduate courses in various domains because I love school and the profs wanted me to continue my studies. I'm pretty boring, I love to learn shit.

What're you studying?

I'm finishing up a BA in political Science and Law and Society.
If I go on to Grad. school, I'll do an MA in Pols. - focusing on International Relations, and Security Studies.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
I got my degree in Environmental Studies at Dork.

Worked around 2 years doing environmental stuff and realized there was no money in it.

Went to computer college for 7 months...landed an IT job at a call centre I was working at. Got laid off there...and landed a job at a Helpdesk. Now I'm working onsite as a "tech".

As for my stupidest thing...I pulled an all nighter, wrote an exam...slept for an hour and walked to the liquor store. Drank a mickey of Southern Comfort, split my head open on the bathroom floor (I passed out), went to the doctor to get it stiched up and then hopped on a bus to go to the Brunny and got drunk again.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I'm just in my last semester at ryerson.

I'm going to do my masters starting in September 2005. Basically I'm going to work 16 months to save money.

I've started looking for a job. I'm sure I can stay at my current job, I really like it. But it'd be good to get some experience in another field.

I'm looking mainly for library based jobs (public and private) or social services jobs.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Went to Sheridan 1st year.
Didn't like it dropped out.
Applied for 2nd year direct Entry with my OACs.
Went to College for 3 years.
Got Co-op Job, lead to Contract, lead to fulltime.

Never did get my diploma.

pr0nstar :D

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
I don't think I was ever really meant to be in school.

When I was in grade 8, I found out that I could fail miserably and the board of education wasn't allowed to hold me back, so I did exactly just that. I failed every single class and they still sent me into grade 9.

In grade 9, I felt so un-challenged by school, I decided to skip and spend my time purusing more philosophical endeavours. When I was 15 I found out that they weren't allowed to kick me out until I 16. So I missed a total of 364 classes (termed school), and my lowest mark was a 6. It wasn't even like I was with my friends so I can't say that they were a bad influence, because most of the time I was alone. I would go to the libarary and read philosophy or behavioural science textbooks.

When I was 15 I also discovered drugs and drinking.

When I was 17 a good friend of mine became a stripper and before I knew It I was out boozing it up at after hours bars and staying out till 5am on weekdays. So, needless to say, I didn't graduate high school. During that time a lot of sordid events took place. Like getting arrested, being in numerous car accidents, being offered a job as a chauffer for call girls.

That was pretty much how things went until I turned 23. Then things started to slow down. I got more serious about a post secondary education and I got my GED. I tried to get into a school where the registrar literally told me that I wasn't smart enough or dedicated enough to be able to get my GED in the time that I told him I would. Nevertheless, I showed him he was wrong. I ended up dropping out of that school because I was offered a great, and progressive position with one of the largest companies in Canada for its industry, and I'm slowly climbing my way up the corporate ladder.

Even after all those years people are still baffled at the fact that i never graudated high school or pursued a post secondary education.

It just goes to show, there's a big difference between booksmarts and street smarts.

Sometimes I regret not finishing school the proper way, but I was never a big fan of conformity, and even though sometimes I wish things happened differently, I don't regret anything. Some people go their whole lives sheltered never really feeling like they lived.

Last edited:

swilly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
I don't think I was ever really meant to be in school.

When I was in grade 8, I found out that I could fail miserably and the board of education wasn't allowed to hold me back, so I did exactly just that. I failed every single class and they still sent me into grade 9.

In grade 9, I felt so un-challenged by school, I decided to skip and spend my time purusing more philosophical endeavours. When I was 15 I found out that they weren't allowed to kick me out until I 16. So I missed a total of 364 classes (termed school), and my lowest mark was a 6. It wasn't even like I was with my friends so I can't say that they were a bad influence, because most of the time I was alone. I would go to the libarary and read philosophy or behavioural science textbooks.

When I was 15 I also discovered drugs and drinking.

When I was 17 a good friend of mine became a stripper and before I knew It I was out boozing it up at after hours bars and staying out till 5am on weekdays. So, needless to say, I didn't graduate high school. During that time a lot of sordid events took place. Like getting arrested, being in numerous car accidents, being offered a job as a chauffer for call girls.

That was pretty much how things went until I turned 23. Then things started to slow down. I got more serious about a post secondary education and I got my GED. I tried to get into a school where the registrar literally told me that I wasn't smart enough or dedicated enough to be able to get my GED in the time that I told him I would. Nevertheless, I showed him he was wrong. I ended up dropping out of that school because I was offered a great, and progressive position with one of the largest companies in Canada for its industry, and I'm slowly climbing my way up the corporate ladder.

Even after all those years people are still baffled at the fact that i never graudated high school or pursued a post secondary education.

It just goes to show, there's a big difference between booksmarts and street smarts.

Sometimes I regret not finishing school the proper way, but I was never a big fan of conformity, and even though sometimes I wish things happened differently, I don't regret anything. Some people go their whole lives sheltered never really feeling like they lived.

I would like to say that this is valuable. However, there is one major problem. The notion of being able to climb or work your way up the ladder is lost in present era. You will reach a point very soon where they wont advance you further in thier company. Also long term employment is a thing of the past with many companies what do you do when you are 30 and have no degree to fall back on. I say go back to school now while you still can
william

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Squeezed the hell out of one path in life.. currently being exploited in it.. so I'm changing directions and am excited as fuck about it.

See you on the other side.

swilly

TRIBE Member
I am applying to gard school at mcgill for next year. When i get accepted i will defer for a year and teach english in spain. While i am there i plan on improving my spanish and clubbing alot more and learning how to salsa dance and travel alot more in north africa and eastern europe and southern france. Also i plan on clubbing alot more while i am there and learning how to do that cool spanish house muisc/salsa thing i saw everyone do last year, so stylish. During this time i want to save up about 10,000 euros for grad school.

After my year in spain i plan on returning to montreal and buying a scooter to use in the summer. During the winter i will take full advantage of the public transit system in montreal. During this time i plan on meeting a nice cute girl who likes hard house and trance and travelling and geography and who has a similar attitude as me.

Then i finish grad school sell my scooter and move to london(UK) with my new GF and work doing something taking advantage of the pound and hard house clubbing.

I think i will stay there buy a flat and watch the value of it sky rocket as the years go buy. Finally when i am 50 or 60 i will sell my flat and use the money to buy a house in canada outside of toronto or montreal and also a house in eastern europe and maybe spain.

Then i will relax and work on my salsa dancing and enjoy nice food and weather and been known as the funny geographer at the end of the road who listens to wierd english music and all the little children will come and want to meet the indios and see his nice maps.

that is it so far
swilly

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Did college (GBC- programming) hated it
Did college (cen - G.A.S) enjoyed 1st year, hated 2nd year
Did Uni (York - Psych) impartial about 1st year, loathing 2nd year, thinking of changing major in 3rd year

Grad School? I'll most likely be at York.
It's going to really suck.

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
Hmmm good topic...

When I graduated from high school i didn't do my research very well. I got into all the Universities i applied to but i had no idea what i was passionate about. I was good at art and people kept telling me that it was something I should go for. After spending 3 years working towards my BFA at Western I decided although I admired and respected the field, it really wasn't something I could see myself being into 15 years down the road. I love being creative but I felt like all the people around me were excited about what they were doing and I didn't understand why I wasn't. I graduated early and now go to college part-time for Interior Design and will be returning full-time next fall. Honestly, taking a year off was the best thing I ever did for myself. It really has given me a new appreciation of using my time wisely and becoming accustomed to the 9-5 lifestyle. I work as an admin assistant for a Painting company in Guelph, I basically assist the owner in all the day to day operations, which has taught me a ton about running and maintaining a business. I think after working for a few years in my field, owning and operating my own firm or company could be something I could see myself doing down the road (well that's my 10 yr plan).

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
did my undergrad at MAC in Hons bio and decided to go straight into grad school. Currently completely my MSc in Med Sci. I was originally going to transfer straight to a PhD, but have since decided that basic research isnt for me.

So i am finishing my degree and moving to europe to work in Big Pharma for a while. Then i plan on going back to either do a MBA in health admin or a another Master's in public health.

Sweet_e

The most idiotic things I generally dont remember which is how they happened.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweet_e
did my undergrad at MAC in Hons bio and decided to go straight into grad school. Currently completely my MSc in Med Sci. I was originally going to transfer straight to a PhD, but have since decided that basic research isnt for me.

So i am finishing my degree and moving to europe to work in Big Pharma for a while. Then i plan on going back to either do a MBA in health admin or a another Master's in public health.

Sweet_e

The most idiotic things I generally dont remember which is how they happened.

What's Mac. like?

It's my first choice for doing a masters in International Relations, and my g/f/ will likely go there for med. school.

Is it a good uni.? Do they offer a financial package to master's students? and what's it like to live there?

I know its a lot of questions - thanks.

Hamza

Funzo

TRIBE Member
I'm currently still walking the path. My plan is to graduate from college, travelle, see what I can land in my field, and then make my new employer pay for me to go to Uni.

Than WHAMO!, you got a job that doesn't let you play guitar, or take pictures of naked women!

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
The job fair is Wednesday, but I am not placing too much stock on this activity for a serious job hunt. Instead, my Sales Negotiation class involves a shadow exercise that will allow me to get in with companies that interest me and get a feel. Also, I have a couple of prospects lined up. But in all honestly finishing post-secondary is a frightening reality for me.

matt

Shann

TRIBE Member
So far I've moved to Whistler....

but then again I just turned 20 but I have almost been here 2 years!

Scary stuff

I will go to school one day though! I promise!

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Shann
So far I've moved to Whistler....

but then again I just turned 20 but I have almost been here 2 years!

Scary stuff

I will go to school one day though! I promise!

My oldest brother said the exact same thing, this is his 9th year living there!
Everyday I wish I did the same!

torontobarfly

TRIBE Member
i took broadcast journalism at loyalist college in belleville and worked in radio for around 5 years...cool gig...media passes to the jays,leafs,argos and pretty much everything else....

good thing the passes were free cause the money was the shits...left radio and got into the printing industry where i still am...

craziest thing we did in college...the lease on the house we rented ended a month before the end of school so we lived in a tent in the woods behind the school....needless to say every night was party night at our tent for the rest of the class and our profs.... good times:D

Spikey

TRIBE Member
Scored my job through a co-op placement in High School and now am applying to go to College and study the field I've been working in for the last 3.5 years.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by torontobarfly
i took broadcast journalism at loyalist college in belleville and worked in radio for around 5 years...cool gig...media passes to the jays,leafs,argos and pretty much everything else....

good thing the passes were free cause the money was the shits...left radio and got into the printing industry where i still am...

craziest thing we did in college...the lease on the house we rented ended a month before the end of school so we lived in a tent in the woods behind the school....needless to say every night was party night at our tent for the rest of the class and our profs.... good times:D

IN A TENT!!:eek:

Where the fuck did you guys shower?....you did shower didn't you? :confused: