• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

what "other" clubs do you go to?

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
The favourites are obvious...System, Tonic, Turbo etc.

But what *other* clubs are out there, that you think are good? What do you go to that's a little different from your usual fare, but that you really enjoy?

I usually go to goth/industrial nights, the odd Resistor and the odd Darkrave. I just went to Blow Up for the first time, at the Dance Cave. It's britpop/"mod"/70s rock and punk/motown/soul. It was so much fun! I listen to a lot of British, and British-sounding music, like Radiohead and the Strokes, as well as the classics like David Bowie. I don't listen to motown/soul but it was way fun to dance to. We went to the "mod" night at Revival on College once (run by Mark Holmes from Platinum Blonde). Great music, but it was packed to the point of claustrophobia and the crowd was more of a "girls in tiny sequined shirts and tight pants" crowd, which I'm not into. The Dance Cave was more jeans and hoodies. :) I'm definitely going back.

And please, no mention of Whisky Saigon, the Joker and the like *puke*

~jen

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Home and Cyrus in Hamilton
The Living Room in TO
Atomic (gone now.. shit) in Ottawa
There's another good one in Ottawa, but the name escapes me
Right next to a Strip Club in the Market..

G

Hamilton: Casbah, Rude Native, Fever, Hudson

Toronto: Roxy Blu, Una Mas, IT, IV Lounge, etc.

Montreal: Luba Lounge, Blizzarts, Blue Dog, Jello, Laika, Stereo Bar, Angel's, Sugar, and I'm about to start crying cuz I miss MTL too much

I like places where you can groove but find a place to chill too.

sentence

TRIBE Promoter
Hamilton: see Tearer

Toronto: Element, Lincoln, Gypsy Co-op, It...

Montreal: China, Aria, Billy Kun...

>all that's coming to mind right now.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Tearer

Montreal: Luba Lounge, Blizzarts, Blue Dog, Jello, Laika, Stereo Bar, Angel's, Sugar, and I'm about to start crying cuz I miss MTL too much

Jelo Bar rules the day.
I love that place. Such a good vibe, super cool surroundings, and wicked live music. And lots of delicious women.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Loopster

TRIBE Member
Montreal - 1 word - SONA ... Wowee!! that is a fun, fun, fun place to be.

Toronto - Gypsy, Element & (I agree with you Jen) Blow-Up at the Dance Cave (but only once in a while when you're craving something different (especially if you're into old funk) ... 2 weeks in a row & I really start missing System music ...) What's great is System on Friday, followed by Blow-Up on Saturday ..... everybody's happy. ;)

Loopster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sentence

Toronto: Element, Lincoln, Gypsy Co-op, It...
As a sidenote, I've just got to ask ... what's the crowd like at It?? Just curious as to whether it's more relaxed or more upscale than a club like Element ...

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Blow up at The Elmo, or uptstairs from the Elmo at least

Mod Club at Revival

Sunday nights at Velvet Underground w/ DJ Jurgen (I think)

Sunday Nights at Zoo Bar (now Zen Lounge) Best friend was DJ, 80's rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrretro

Darkraves @ Reverb (best one, about 2 years ago VNV Nation LIVE! and those funy fetish nights are hilarious)

The Weave - Every Weekend. The best fucking acid jazz ever, and soooo comfortable.

More of a bar, but The Bovine. Saw some live acts there before

Anarchists Cocktail: Not bad before it closed down
and of course

SANCTUARY!!!

juice

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Tearer

Roxy Blu and Una Mas are two of my favourites as well.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I only go to system.
Really, it's got everything I need.
Why would anyone go anywhere else?
The atmosphere is such a wonderful shade of bland.

-jM
A&D

zoo

TRIBE Member
where's this alleged "dance cave"?

sounds like a good place to take some of my friends who hate clubbing and so never come downtown with me

Variant

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lil'Timmy
Darkraves @ Reverb (best one, about 2 years ago VNV Nation LIVE!

I'd say i liked the Feb 2000 Darkrave the best.. however that VNV Nation live performance was one of the best I saw that year.. definately up there with the Astral Projection and Infected Mushroom shows in montreal.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AGrayson

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
where's this alleged "dance cave"?

sounds like a good place to take some of my friends who hate clubbing and so never come downtown with me
Right above Lee's Palace. Enter via Lee's main entrance.

Confession: I saw Andrew W. K. at Lee's last week. :)

Sometimes I frequent (contradiction in terms?):

* Fez
* Bohemian

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Sunk?

Originally posted by poker face
Element (by far the most)
Gypsy Coop
Nasa
Red Boutique
Jai Bar
Rivoli
I heard that Jai Bar (416) has sunk like the Titanic? Unless you are talking abou the one in the 514!

peace&JaiStEaDy

ChRoMe BAR

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
brass rail, zanzibar, $1,000,000 saloon, sundowner, chez m, SUPER SEX, solid gold, Picadilly circus, gatsby's....

c.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
in Montreal:

Blizzarts
Roy Bar
Jelo Lounge (Josh got me hooked on this place )
Go-Go Lounge
Stereo Bar (new friday night favourite)
Luba Lounge
Blue Dog (sweet sweet breaks on thursdays ;) )

And there's the obvious Sona, Stereo and Aria. Aria still wins for best lights and Stereo for best sound. But Sona is relocating so maybe it will be better

~allie~

matty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lil'Timmy
The Weave - Every Weekend. The best fucking acid jazz ever, and soooo comfortable.
I was at IV about a month ago and it looked like Weave had closed down. Maybe they were doing renevations or something. Good times at the Wabi night there once upon a time though.

My Favs: NASA, IV, Fez (if you need someplace that everyone can enjoy), Green Room, Element, I like the Mockingbird space but I've only ever been for special events.

poker face

TRIBE Member
Re: Sunk?

Originally posted by ChROmE

I heard that Jai Bar (416) has sunk like the Titanic? Unless you are talking abou the one in the 514!

peace&JaiStEaDy

ChRoMe BAR
lol, Well they just gave the manager the boot!

So hopefully they will try to save the place by doing some real promotion. I also havent been there in a while.

other clubs that I have been to lately have been:

IT
Mint
Mersini Lounge
Cream
Fluid

Boo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
Home and Cyrus in Hamilton
The Living Room in TO
Atomic (gone now.. shit) in Ottawa
There's another good one in Ottawa, but the name escapes me
Right next to a Strip Club in the Market..
Where's Cyrus and Rude Native in Hamilton?

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Dark-Rave

pssst! they turned it into a starbucks! how funny is that?

just an fyi..

luv and laffs,

pen
Oh I know, I went to the opening of it. It was like a goth fashion show or someething, too funny.