• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What makes a good wedding emcee?

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
I have to emcee a wedding in a few weeks and more than anything I want to be a positive contributer to this event. Furthermore, I have family watching and my girlfriend is really counting on me (her sister is getting married), but I have absolutely no material right now.

What do good wedding emcees do? Does anyone remember any good sketches/activities from past weddings emcees have done?

Also, how important is the wedding emcee?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
andrew dice clay jokes FTW.

i just dj'd and emceed a wedding all chocked full of family and extended family members.
know your audience. ask for stories from other relatives about the sister, etc.

i dont think i'll ever dj a wedding again.

Last edited:

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
insider information on the scandalous secrets of everyone in the room and the directly proportional relationship between lip looseness and alcohol intake.

also mastery of the chicken dance.

(add reverb to taste)

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
lots and lots of booze

i love mitch from old school
here is what he said;)

True love is hard to find.

Sometimes you think you have true love,

and then you catch the early flight
home from San Diego,

and a couple of nude people
jump out of your bathroom blindfolded

like a goddamn magic show,
ready to double-team your girlfriend...

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Being a good MC is not so much what to do, but it's what NOT to do.

- Don't talk about ex's
- Don't talk about drunken adventures
- Don't talk about sex, some older people still don't like that word, if you have to say anything...just call it 'your wedding night'

Basically to me, a wedding MC is there just to fill in the gaps between all of the speeches.

Keep it light, keep it fun...and keep it moving.

NO TOP 10 LISTS!

Just went to a wedding on Saturday and the MC was horrible.

And I DJ'd the wedding.

Last time ever....seriously.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

futronic

TRIBE Member
[predictable]Frequently yell the following: BO!, LIGHTA KREW, WHERE Y'AT?

Then ask for 17 rewinds.

[/predictable]

-- Jay aka Fut

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Good jokes.
Honesty.
Respect to the parents.
Good, concise anecdotes.
NOT DRUNK.
GOOD JOKES.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
though i haven't attended a lot of weddings, i think a good wedding MC should:

a) talk to family and friends for stories if you don't know the couple well (as ndrwrld suggested)

b) keep in mind that while you're there to keep the "show" moving along. It is the special day of the bride and groom. Keep your jokes/stories short (2-3 mins per bit seems good to me) and keep the attention focused on the happy couple.

c) keep your anecdotes lighthearted and humourous, but don't be crass!

d) and of course, the cardinal rule to any good speech or presentation, wehther it's at a wedding or in a board room: rehearsing your speech beforehand. If you don't practice you'll find yourself fumbling over your words even though you previously thought you knew what you were going to say. Cue cards that you can descreetly tuck in the palm of your hand while standing then be put easily back in your pocket are great. Don't use an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper that you have to take time to unfold so everyone can hear it crinkle across the microphone.

Sounds like you'll do great, since you seem to really care about doing a good job. Good luck!

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Hit the net for your jokes.....if it's a longer joke...make sure it's got a good pace so everyone can keep up.

And keep it clean.....dirty jokes = pissed off pastor/grandma usually.

:D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
1. Move the night along2. Move the night along3. Move the night along4. Make sure nothing happens without the photographer/videographer ready to go5. Move the night along

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
busting out the chicken dance.
i did this after everyone told me not to.
it was and probably still is a much hated song to my Uncle Peter.
at the end of a silly song, i dedicated the Chicken Dance to him...and he danced. hell, everyone danced.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Don't mess up the wedding mc responsibilities with a jungle mc responsibilities.

Ex.... nowhere should there be the line, "Toronto massive kick up!" or "Rewind selecta!"

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
tho i did shout out an East Coast shout out to my aunt and uncle who flew in from NFLD...they loved it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bitchass

TRIBE Member
find a book called "The Wedding MC" its always for sale on the counter for $15 at pretty much any tux rental place I've been in.

I MC'd 2 weddings last year and treated this like my bible - it shows you how to make the full reception agenda and keep it all flowing. As pointed out already, its not your event so you're not trying to steal the spotlight or roast anyone just keep things moving in between meal courses and speeches.

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
short and sweet and keep it moving along, as others have said on this thread

i think all weddings should have a three hour time limit from ceremony to the last dance. 95% of the guests at the wedding would be happier for it.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Big Harv said:
short and sweet and keep it moving along, as others have said on this thread

i think all weddings should have a three hour time limit from ceremony to the last dance. 95% of the guests at the wedding would be happier for it.
for the one i just dj'd / emceed,
ceremony was 3 to 330.
dinner was 6 to 7.
we danced from 7 till 1 or so.

i'll never do that again.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
ndrwrld said:
for the one i just dj'd / emceed,
ceremony was 3 to 330.
dinner was 6 to 7.
we danced from 7 till 1 or so.

i'll never do that again.
sounds just as tiring as work.

i was merely a guest at one like that a few weeks ago. throw in 2 hours of commuting, and it pretty much shot the entire weekend.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
Big Harv said:

No way man, if you're having me out for free drinks and food, i'm into staying till late.

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Calling Sage! Calling Sage! Oh you were already here.
I tried it once, was way too invested in the wedding as a participant to take a step back and care properly about everyone else. Which is why I will always recommend hiring a pro now.

And I disagree with Big Harv - My wedding had an 8 hour open bar - and everyone was there having a good time till midnight. but there aren't a lot of weddings in my family, I could see how in certain Mediterranean communities an all-day wedding would be a headache.