• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

what kind of music does everyone produce?

Deus

TRIBE Member
It just sounded like a snare to me. Or maybe like a jungle kick. Maybe it is the low quality of the encoding. It just sounded odd in my opinion. I enjoyed the rest of the track very much though.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deus
It just sounded like a snare to me. Or maybe like a jungle kick. Maybe it is the low quality of the encoding. It just sounded odd in my opinion. I enjoyed the rest of the track very much though.
The low quality compression on the soundfile does accentuate any mid snaps an make em softer, this may draw out snare like qualities. Also, the reason some of the the sub end on the kick is shelved off is because it interfered with the bassline & low pads that come in later on. Still tho, if you do a spectrum analasys on the kick the prominent frequency is still 108 hz.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by OTIS

The low quality compression on the soundfile does accentuate any mid snaps an make em softer, this may draw out snare like qualities. Also, the reason some of the the sub end on the kick is shelved off is because it interfered with the bassline & low pads that come in later on. Still tho, if you do a spectrum analasys on the kick the prominent frequency is still 108 hz.
Tell me about this spectral analysis.

Is that a good way to figure out what frequency range your samples are using.

Helps you mix and match?

I though kick drums were supposed to fall around 80hz?

SENSEi

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi

Tell me about this spectral analysis.

Is that a good way to figure out what frequency range your samples are using.

Helps you mix and match?

You don't really use it religiously. You basically use it to get varous statistical info about what you use it on. An example is lets say your tune sounds harsh but you cant figure out why.. instead of toying around with eqes forever you can do a spectral analasys to find out if there is an unwated spike of a particular frequency or range in your tune. The one in soundforge for example will give you a graph type readout, as well as statistical information of the frequencies of your selection.

It's pretty nerdy, but useful in certain situations.

I though kick drums were supposed to fall around 80hz?
SENSEi
There are no rules that specific, and 80 hz can be found in my kick, just the prominent (DB wise) freq in mine is 108, it doesnt mean 108 is the only frequency in the kick, it just means it's the prominent one. I only posted that because if i would do a spec analsys of any snare the resulting freq should/would be alot higher.

Deus

TRIBE Member
You can do frequency analysis on anything, but if the sample doesn't fit the track then it doesn't matter what frequencies are covered.

In writing trance music, or any other similar genre, THE most important component of a track is the kickdrum. The kickdrum has to punch and have those low frequencies that make it a kickdrum. It is what other instruments are ajdusted to.

I'm simply saying that the kick sounds very odd for a trance track.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
For this reason, do you guys mixdown your kick on it's own channel?

Is it ok to have your kick/snare on the same channel?

SENSEi

OTIS

TRIBE Member
You can do frequency analysis on anything, but if the sample doesn't fit the track then it doesn't matter what frequencies are covered.

In writing trance music, or any other similar genre, THE most important component of a track is the kickdrum. The kickdrum has to punch and have those low frequencies that make it a kickdrum. It is what other instruments are ajdusted to.
I agree and know about everything you're saying in regards to the the kicks importance, and I only I used the spectrum analasys example just to show that it still had the frequency signature of a kick, as opposed to one of a snare.

I'm simply saying that the kick sounds very odd for a trance track.
This is not fact, it's your opinion which I respect and appreciate, but don't agree with in this instance.

OTIS

TRIBE Member

SENSEi
I usually like to have em separate so I can adjust them properly, and do things to them that I dont want effected by or effecting other elements.

sohaness

TRIBE Member
i agree with Deus on this. the kickdrum def. sounds odd. especially when you're at about 5:25 into the track and the melody is just playing, and then the kick comes in. i was expecting a pounding boom boom, but it sounded weak imo.

at first i thought it was because of the encoding...but i dunno.

steve.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Understandable, but I don't wish to continue defending/over analyzing my use of that kick or it's sound. There are many elements that we factored in when we determined how the kick should flow, and why.

Also consider the flatness that a 64kbs encoding adds to a tune.

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
i don't see what all the fuss about the kick is about. if he wants to use that sound he can. just because it's not something you're used to hearing doesn't make it bad. of course that also does not mean that you have to like it either. i guess my point is that i have no point at all. keep the the discussion going!

if everybody produced the same way all music would sound like yanni.:)

www.thesyntaxerrorproject.com

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I can understand the obsession over kicks, but Deus, I'm not interested in high glossed music, it's not meant to go there, some of my favourite tunes of the trance-progressive genre have had similar kicks, and a dirty mood. Again I don't feel a need to justify my calculated use of them especially when a poor quality sample is given.

I listen to advice, but when you say my kick is a snare when you know full well it's not, I can't help but sense a bit of antagonism. Similar to the antagonism I felt a few times from you after I denied your request to remix one of my tunes.

I think your good at what you do, but I'm not interested in producing your style of stuff. This does not mean I won't take into account your advice in the future, but please curb your undertone.

Thanx man.
:)

Deus

TRIBE Member
I have no antagonism for you what so ever. Perhaps I came across cynical with my first comment, and should have phrased it differently. I don't even remember asking you for a remix.

I have respect for you; you're well articulate, and always give good advice. You know what you're talking about, and don't just act like you do.

I understand that it is very hard to take criticism for something that you're put so much effort into. It happens to me all the time. But you have to keep your cool, and just say, yes I'll consider it, and not get hostile.

Usually when I re-listen to the tracks after a week or two of not hearing it, I realize that the critics were right.

Cheers

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Great track, Rob.

But it would be nice if more people could post their tracks here - I'm just starting out, so I'd really like to know what kind of potential various programs have, and also to get an idea of what other amateur home musicians are creating.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i'm going to post a whole bunch soon

all were made 1998 - 2000 with a DOS program Impulse Tracker

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I have no antagonism for you what so ever. Perhaps I came across cynical with my first comment, and should have phrased it differently. I don't even remember asking you for a remix.

I have respect for you; you're well articulate, and always give good advice. You know what you're talking about, and don't just act like you do.

I understand that it is very hard to take criticism for something that you're put so much effort into. It happens to me all the time. But you have to keep your cool, and just say, yes I'll consider it, and not get hostile.

Usually when I re-listen to the tracks after a week or two of not hearing it, I realize that the critics were right.

Cheers
Good to hear that air is cleared. Now on to more important things.

Paul Who?

TRIBE Member
A little of...

House and Techno, and whatever happens when I come home pissed and mash my midi controler set to a random synth or plug-in.....so I guess IDM.

Paul Who?

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Prog or techy house for the most part, but I've done some breaks (in fact I just finished a breaks tune), straight up deep house, d n' b, and downtempo stuff.

You can find all of my newer stuff here:
http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=7365

I also have a lot of my older and downtempo stuff up here:
http://www.mp3.com/loopdokter

Comments are always welcome. :)

Forthcoming releases on several labels, but I have to keep it hush for now...

Cheers,
JK

vench

TRIBE Promoter

SENSEi
you should always have all your bottom end on different channels. Kicks, snares, bongos etc - they all should be on different channels because you're gonna want to eq them all differently so that they don't cancel each other out (in a way). You won't get the maximum quality if you've got your kick and snare on the same channel.

vench