• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What is Tribe "for"?

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Alright, I'm setting myself up for anything here. From the most assinine and absurd of answers, to the genuinely thoughtful.

What do you think this board is "for"? What is it's role/use?

Is there ONE correct answer?

(feel free to link this to the hundred thousand other threads discussing the same damn thing. Forgive me, being a mindless desk jockey and all, I don't have the time to do a thorough search.)

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
for some people it's a social meeting ground

for others it's the only place they can get opinions on life changing decisions..

for others it's a place to waste away.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
cc2.jpg

It's whatever you want it to be woman!

IgStar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
for some people it's a social meeting ground

for others it's the only place they can get opinions on life changing decisions..

for others it's a place to waste away.

hehehehe

stuuuuufin! nice locale :)

bambam

TRIBE Member
I think tribes a support group for technosnobs who have to deal with stupid indie-rock and hiphop types (not you guys, Im talking about mainstream sheep) in their daily lives. It strengthens the community of people who appreciate good music, good times, and above all, creates a bank of minions for technosnobs to wage war against pop.
It also lends credibility to the techno scene. It says, were here, and were not going anywhere, so you know where you can take your propaganda about the death of the scene. It allows me, personally, to interact with and be publicly humiliated by people who are into what Im into (no, not THAT, I mean music). And that, believe it or not, is a rare thing.

insufficient sarcasm to be tribe cool post# 1104935

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
The medium is the message.

There are 4 main forms of communication on the internet: instant messaging, surfing, email, and message boards. They differ thusly:

1) Surfing is one-way, whereas the others are two-way.

2) In terms of permanence (or effective permanence), web pages are pretty well permanent (yet changing), email is somewhat permanent, message boards are less permanent, and instant messaging is like conversation (i.e. gone once spoken).

Message boards are like [mass] conversations that hang around for a while (imagine if when you spoke, your words appeared in bubble above your head like in cartoons, and so did responses)... notice when someone tries to bump a thread from too long ago, it sinks quickly, since it is like bringing up a conversation that you had last year sometime.... conversations are 100% context sensitive, and context changes constantly....

~NoCo~

TRIBE Member
tribe is for:

giving me links to penguin baseball games that allow me to be entertained at work...

S.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bambam
I think tribes a support group for technosnobs who have to deal with stupid indie-rock and hiphop types (not you guys, Im talking about mainstream sheep) in their daily lives. It strengthens the community of people who appreciate good music, good times, and above all, creates a bank of minions for technosnobs to wage war against pop.
It also lends credibility to the techno scene. It says, were here, and were not going anywhere, so you know where you can take your propaganda about the death of the scene. It allows me, personally, to interact with and be publicly humiliated by people who are into what Im into (no, not THAT, I mean music). And that, believe it or not, is a rare thing.

insufficient sarcasm to be tribe cool post# 1104935

Thank you for using your brain.

I'm thinking that it's ALL of the above, and that people around these parts lately need to
CHILL THE FUCK OUT!!!!

Has anyone else noticed the amount of hostility flying around here lately? It doesn't matter what thread it's been in, it's still just plain old USELESS agression!

Some people are starting useless textual shit slinging matches in the most inane and non-threatening threads lately. Do the culprits all have cabin fever, or are they just in serious need of a good fucking lay?

This obviously wasn't the basis for this thread, just something that contributed to my thought process.

I really am interested to hear people's varying views as to the purpose of this board.

But really, while we're at it... Enough with the needless spite.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
this is great! I need some nice one line descriptions to fling at ad agencies and clients when I try to sell them ad space in the mag or on the site this year.... keep 'em coming!

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
Tribe is in a state of flux, the revolution is upon us.

The battle of the attention whore vs. the deluded triber

kinda like gino clubber vs. jaded raver

one is there to look good and pose for pictures the other is "all about the scene man"

The answer to the question of who shall emerge victorious will dictate the future success of Tribe and other boards like it.

The future of the Internet will be decided here!

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Like the lyrics to a song...it means many different things to different people.

Some people come here just to waste time from their droning jobs, some come to learn and have conversation. Some just to discuss music or to get info about events, others in search of attention because their parents beat them as a child, so they grew up shy and introverted thinking they were ugly and get redemption by posting web cam pics and having strangers tell them that they're pretty.
And others simply to jerk off to those pictures in the pic thread.

There are a myriad of reasons that this place exhists, and that's what make Tribe and message boards in general, special.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
The medium is the message.

2) In terms of permanence (or effective permanence), web pages are pretty well permanent (yet changing), email is somewhat permanent, message boards are less permanent, and instant messaging is like conversation (i.e. gone once spoken).

Message boards are like [mass] conversations that hang around for a while (imagine if when you spoke, your words appeared in bubble above your head like in cartoons, and so did responses)... notice when someone tries to bump a thread from too long ago, it sinks quickly, since it is like bringing up a conversation that you had last year sometime.... conversations are 100% context sensitive, and context changes constantly....

AWESOME answer.