• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

~*...what is the most significant advancement of the 20th century...*~

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
watching the 100th anniversary of flight on the tele got me thinking about how far we've advanced as a society over the past 100 years. we can simply jump on an airplane and fly to the other side of the world if we want to...hell, we can even take a trip into the stratosphere and experience zero g if you've got the money for it. so many incredible leaps forward have been made in the 20th century from flight to the discovery of the double helix. it got me thinkin, what is the most significant advancement society has made in the 20th century?

imho, the internet is the most significant advancement we've made. i thought that flight made the world a smaller place, but being able to share ideas and information at high speed with someone one on the other side of the world in real time....that's connected. even better when you get to snipe them in the head with a rail gun...very dangerous from a distance that wmd is ;) i've made more friends thanks to our common love for technology, i've attended the wedding of two close friends who met each other (and myself) through a mailing list, i can share my photo albums in cyberspace, and i can download any song i want and listen to it on my portable hd. we are the information generation forming tight communities in cyberspace that overflow into real life, most times without the sense of sight stimulated until much later in the game. still blows my mind that people know me by my online nickname before they even know my name is norm, or leighton
toocool.gif
instant high speed access to information (wirelessly....soon.....soon.....soon). the world really is a smaller place because of the internet and i'm stoked to be such an integral part of it with you.

in your opinion, what is the most significant advancement society has made in the 20th century? and why?

- that bandwidth junkie guy
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Stop Bill C-10

Lurker

TRIBE Member
the threaded fastener (of the finer precision variety)

without it, you couldn't build the intarweb :) or TV's or cars etc etc

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
internet
computer processing
polio vaccine
nuclear fission
human genome
space exploration

among many

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Hands Down the microchip is up there with the wheel and the steam engine as one of the most significant inventions in human history.

... that and the mesh hat of course

sugar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stormshadow
pockfish.jpg

Ron Popeil is the most significant inventor of our time!

I mean, who could forget the Popeil Pasta Maker?

It slices, it dices, it shreds, it grates! What more could you ask for?

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by that 420 guy
in your opinion, what is the most significant advancement society has made in the 20th century?

actually, my previous answer was only taking into consideration scientific advancement.

if you want to talk about SOCIETAL advancement, the answer would be the end of slavery and significant advancement - worldwide - to end segregation and to promote tolerance of other races, religions, sexual preferences, etc. (although, obviously, there's still a long way to go on all of those fronts.)