• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What is that Korean dish called with the fried egg on top?

KickIT

TRIBE Member
i hate when they put the egg on and it's over cooked. That shit needs to be super runny. Also, lots of gochujang is a must.

deevah

TRIBE Member
Oja's bi bim bap is not bad, so is their spice beef soup (yukejang)

gumi up @ lawrence and pharmacy is out of the way but well worth the trip.

I'm a big fan of Ka-Chi as well. Mul Rae Bang Ah in Korea town has also been quite good.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
KickIT said:
i hate when they put the egg on and it's over cooked. That shit needs to be super runny. Also, lots of gochujang is a must.
Yuck. I hate when it's runny (surprisingly).

emiwee

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
the best korean restaurant is the one across from Clinton's on the south side of bloor/clinton. their kimchi soon tofu is stellar.

yes!
buk chang dong soon tofu - that's the name of the place.
i was so thrilled when they opened one up near our place (yonge and finch).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dig this

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
I had the pork bone soup at Kai-chi and it was great. But I don't know, my friend Henry eats Korean good all the time and swears by this place.

I found the food less bland than others.
I love the pork bone soup from Ka Chi on Bloor... wasn't too impressed with their bibimbap though.

Joon's on the south side has a great spicy chiken dish (dak something or other)... & their rice cakes are amazing.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
This thread making me jones for some, so I'm gonna make some at home.

Spinach, bean sproats, oyster and shitaki mushroom. :)

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
bArHo said:
I have never had bulgogi in my bibimbop. EVER. Whoever is doing that is wrong. While the idea might be tasty, that's not traditional. Its usually seasoned ground beef thats paired with bibimbop, not bulgogi.
bulgogi IS bbq'd meat. So yes, they sometimes put bulgogi on top of bibimbap. It may not be traditional, I'm not sure, but some places do it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
catilyst said:
In a broad sense this is correct, however, for what it's worth, I've never seen bulgogi on a menu that wasn't beef.
yeah, it's usually beef... but chicken or pork isn't very popular in korean bbq. So if it's korean bbq, it's usually beef and some seafood. Which means that bulgogi, bbq'd meat, usually just means beef.

kat

TRIBE Member
owl of minerva is the wicked.

i used to get pork bone soup all the time after work last winter.

that places is open literally 24/7 365 days a year. and it makes excellent 4am drunk food or new years day hangover food.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
yeah, it's usually beef... but chicken or pork isn't very popular in korean bbq. So if it's korean bbq, it's usually beef and some seafood. Which means that bulgogi, bbq'd meat, usually just means beef.

I have to say I fully disagree with you. In Korea Pork is King and beef while respected is not nearly as popular or widely eaten. The sheer volume of Sam gyup sal restaurents in comparison to nearly all other type of restuarants alone is ridiculas( in Korea).

Its not an issue of cost eithier as both are pretty expensive. Everyone I met said they preferred pork over beef and with items like wine syam gyup sal why not. Not too mention dak galbi and and a bunch of other chicken dishes. On the whole beef consumption is not nearly as wide spread as pork perhaps more than chicken but not pork.

However, I have noticed that a lot of the Chinese run imitation korean bbq places seem to use a lot of beef and seafood and goat and salmon and other stuff ( and shit ass gim chi and some weird pork broth soup) and NO SAM JANG!!
WTF

mind you where i am now they make deer sushi so who knows

I wonder if we can do moose korean bbq hmmmmm

Last edited:

bArHo

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
bulgogi IS bbq'd meat. So yes, they sometimes put bulgogi on top of bibimbap. It may not be traditional, I'm not sure, but some places do it.
I'm going to have to do that for dinner tonight. Moms just made a big batch of bulgogi last night. Dinner is going to be faaaaaaaaaaaantastic.

I need get me a stone bowl stat!

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
you're not really a korean until you have a 2lb bag of red pepper powder and a box of freeze dried anchovies in your freezer.

man, I could definitely go for some spicy korean food to get my sinuses cleared of this cold.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
kat said:
that places is open literally 24/7 365 days a year. and it makes excellent 4am drunk food or new years day hangover food.
I was hoping to get a chance to try their outside barbeque stuff in the summer but never got a chance.

My GF and I are basically kumjatung addicts.

bArHo

TRIBE Member
swilly said:
I have to say I fully disagree with you. In Korea Pork is King and beef while respected is not nearly as popular or widely eaten. The sheer volume of Sam gyup sal restaurents in comparison to nearly all other type of restuarants alone is ridiculas( in Korea).
so true. I'm not a huge fan of the pork but when my fam goes out my dad is hella bent on ordering that and it gets served at family gatherings too, totally trumping bulgogi.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Nesta

TRIBE Member
alexd said:
That is it!!! A friend took me to dinner tonight and she ordered it. I had a taste and it was amazing. We went to Oja noodle. Are there any other recommended places for it in town?
san is really good for it as well. north side of queen, just west of bathurst.

Bull Go Ki

TRIBE Member
Mul Rae Bang A - in Koreatown - right beside Christie Station is awesome for all you can eat! Waaay better and more authentic then Korea Grill House on Queen. They have a mean bi bim bop too - i like mine with Bull Go Ki!

Taro

TRIBE Member
the_fornicator said:
wikipedia.

who knew?
:)

although that's teh obvious answer - mich is actually pretty knowledgable about korean culture - I seem to vaguely remember her posting about other korean stuff...
just a question about whether there is something personal there - more so than the internetz...

>also - when in doubt - its bettter to ask than to assume :)