1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

what is News?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by squirrely, Aug 29, 2003.

1. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

with a capital "N."

what defines the news varies from medium to medium. i mean, some are questioning the Sun's decision to run the Brittney/Madonna kiss on the front page, but dudes--look at that photo. it's fucking gold. the stories that are taking place behind closed doors, in boardrooms and government hideaways, they have to be tucked away cuz they're not gonna sell papers.

it's interesting to think about the business of News-making, about what goes into choosing a lead story and what goes into deciding that a story about 12,000 people dying somewhere on the other side of the world doesn't compare to a story about one child going missing in toronto--at least as far as the Star's concerned.

i don't know if anyone here cares, but i thought i would ask for your opinions....

2. joey

joey TRIBE Member

i used to go to raves at "The News"

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

News:

They caught the guy who created the blaster worm. "18 year old dude from california who never ever had a girl or boyfriend ever."

4. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I dont think it was Front Page material.

Most people saw it on TV anyway,.. why the need to regurgitate the pictures on ALL THE PAPERS... except to admit that Sex Sells.

News Papers shouldn't be going by that... Sex should not sell the news papers.

Tabloid magazines sure... Entertainment newspapers sure...

but that's just cheesy.

5. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

That's News to me!

6. JMan

JMan TRIBE Member

News is entertainment. First story on Global the other nite - "First West Nile case in a human"... can you believe all we've heard about this, and only 1 case (and the guy is recovering at home).

News is pretty much a waste of time IMO.

J

7. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Agreed.
    Too much conflict of interest. "News" stations just report what will get them ratings. They still have to answer to their networks and more importantly, to their sponsors. Obviously, stories that will get ratings (Britney and Madonna kissing! OMG!) will get higher priority over the "boring" news (U.S. screwing up in Iraq even more).

Also... you probably won't see a news program who's sponsors include Monsanto doing an expose on the dangers of pesticides.

conflict of interest...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  8. The reason why it has a capital end is to give you the illusion that you're getting the "official story" rather than the editor's bias. It's the media trying to be a respectable instituion, like God, the Law or Prince.

9. JMan

JMan TRIBE Member

The fact that this is "news" says it all.

10. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

to the complainers - name the news sources (networks, newspapers, online, individual reporters) that you find to be the MOST UNBIASED.

i mean the ones that consistently *really* seem to tell the story from all sides.

11. BBC usually has a very good comprehensive coverage.

12. Liquidity

Liquidity TRIBE Member

what is news?

new information that is of interest to the consumer... (pretty dull definition, i know)

13. diego

diego TRIBE Member

CBC is very good at trying to tell both sides of a story.

14. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

sometimes i think that people mistake "dryness" for credibility.

15. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

that's the first one this year confirmed in this area though think...or something like that.

there have been many, and a few deaths last year....

a friend of my bosses is in a wheelchair with brain damage because of west nile.

so the fact that it's here is pretty much News.

16. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

true, but more often i think that people mistake "provocative" for credibility.

(man, those national post commercials make me puke.)

17. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

also, one could argue that the news reports made people more careful (wore more bug repellant, got rid of standing water, etc.) and, thus, prevented more cases.

18. diego

diego TRIBE Member

How come news almost always starts off this way.

"In the News today a Tragic......"

instead of

"In the New today were glad to report....."

I guess it's the train wreck syndrome. Maybe it's because thats what were being forced to watch?.

The arguments that sports stations were using when defending opening sportscasts with the Kobe Bryant story is that WE demand to see it so it's there duty to show it. I don't buy that argument.

Kinda of a catch 22.

19. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

very very true

there are obviously fewer cases this year, but mosquitos in the area were still testing positive, so all the hype must have worked.

personally i was more careful. i work with birds, often in buggy areas so i was at high risk. i made sure to wear long sleeves and wear bug repellent.
    i'm allergic to deet so i usually don't wear repellent, but even went out to buy a special one.

20. JMan

JMan TRIBE Member

Sure it's noteworthy, but not to the extent it has been covered IMHO.

21. Liquidity

Liquidity TRIBE Member

well, just like governments, you get the kind of news you deserve...

unless people start goin' out and buying purely objective news, the media ain't gonna change much...

22. Jazz

Jazz TRIBE Member

the sun is a joke of a newspaper, so it's quite fitting that they run non-news on their front page... (no offence to sun readers, but i'm only stating the obvious)

BBC is definitely the leading news network, the range and depth of their coverage is unmatched.... i read the guardian (UK newspaper) for the same reason, great international coverage...

CBC does a very good job as well... as for canadian newspapers, occasionally i'll read the star or the globe&mail, both are decent but there's still room for improvement...

23. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

BBC, CBC, Globe and Mail (for the most part) and The Independent & Guardian (both UK).

Funny that I rely on so many british sources when most of what passes for "newspapers" over there are nothing but tabloid trash even worse than our Toronto Sun.

Pete

24. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

News would be updates about the future rat-merge event between smallrat and skynet.

25. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

THIS JUST IN: SKYNET IS SLEEPING ON HIS HEAD.