• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What is better? A top load washing machine one or a front load one?

What is better? A top load or a front load washing machine?

• Top Load

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Front Load

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No difference

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Washing machine catastrophe yesterday. Spare part needed is not available locally for the 10 year old front load machine that works great usually. It is the door lock mechanism solenoid thing that broke, and I am trying to order the part from Joburg.. If it is not available, I may have to buy a new machine...

I have a top loader in Toronto and it seems to work OK, although this front loader here seemed OK too...

What is better? What should I get? A top load washing machine one or a front load one? Why? I am only going to use a machine 3 months of the year.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
We ended up with top loader washer action because the 3 sets we tried to get down the stairs and around the corner would not fit/would be cramped in the laundry room. And we wanted a matching set of new machines.

Shop for a deal. There are different sizes, makes, and models. Ensure you get a firm commitment on the delivery date. Then double check with a phone call a day or two later.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
partselect.ca has a fast turnaround and very helpful staff. I vote don't give up on what you've got! I've had very good service from them over the years.

This is your e-guy for washer/dryer repairs. Solid advice, good videos and a funny accent to boot. https://www.youtube.com/user/theapplianceman

Reliable parts in Toronto is also very good, they're way up in the north end but I bet they have the part you need in stock.

That said, if you insist on new, IMO top loaders are simpler and easier to repair. i.e. cheaper.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
We have gone though 2 front loaders and they are crap. We got a refurbished top loader from a repair shop on the Danforth and haven't looked back.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
We got a top loader, LG with Direct Drive, after my our shitty 2 year old Maytag hit the shitter. The way they make washers these days, unless you get a better machine with metal parts, you'd better get some extended warranty, otherwise you can guarantee something will blow within 5 years and the repair man will tell you it'll be cheaper to buy a new machine than to repair.

acheron

TRIBE Member
partselect.ca has a fast turnaround and very helpful staff. I vote don't give up on what you've got! I've had very good service from them over the years.

This is your e-guy for washer/dryer repairs. Solid advice, good videos and a funny accent to boot. https://www.youtube.com/user/theapplianceman

Reliable parts in Toronto is also very good, they're way up in the north end but I bet they have the part you need in stock.

That said, if you insist on new, IMO top loaders are simpler and easier to repair. i.e. cheaper.
alex is in South Africa at the moment... not looking for a Canadian supplier.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Front loader lets you wash delicate things like down filled sleeping bags, and anything delicate that can't wrap around the middle.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
There are top loaders that don't have the middle agitator anymore, so not an issue. Just make sure you get a beltless one since it adds more stress and friction.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
We got a direct drive washer (top loader), no middle agitator. Big drum. It is good. Does our family's laundry the way we like it.

We bought in summer 2014.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
It seems that I can't get a top loader that can heat water (I only have a cold water tap as the machine's water source), whereas front loaders can heat their own water apparently.... In South Africa anyway.....