• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What is a good home-made alternative to Windex

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
A natural cleaner that doesn't leave streaks on glass and mirrors? There has to be something you can use other than Windex, Glass Plus, or those other blue colored glass cleaning liquids...

My dad used to make up something out of common household things when I was a kid, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think that is what he used but I don't recall the place smelling of vinegar. Am I going to be craving fish and chips after cleaning my mirrors with vinegar and water?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Vinegar & water is even better than Windex. Use it with newspaper for ultimate magic. No fibres left behind.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Found this exact mixture which Trumps ALL

1/4 cup Rubbing Alcohol
1/4 Cup white vinegar
2 tsp of Corn Starch
2 Cups Water.

You might think the corn starch is an odd ingredient - but is what makes things streak-free.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Microfiber cleaning cloths and products - Blue Wonder

I am not a sales person for this product and scoffed at the price when my wife bought a cloth but this works with just water... Leaves no streaks on glass or stainless... We have kids with glass railings and high gloss cabinets and this cleans them with ease... When we had the glass railings installed the contractor was sold on the cloth as he could not believe how well it worked...

Just rinse with water wring out and wipe... Voila no streaks...

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
vinegar cleans everything. its really all you need.
I got some glass wipes from the dollar store, like those lysol wipes. they worked fine.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
^ but the point is that you can make your own at a fraction of the cost - and it will work just as well.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
^ but the point is that you can make your own at a fraction of the cost - and it will work just as well.
listen if the knock off windex doesnt clean as well as real windex there is no goddamned way any homemade hippie windex is going to work even close. no way, no how.

there are certain things in life you don't frig around with...toilet paper is one, windex is another.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
listen if the knock off windex doesnt clean as well as real windex there is no goddamned way any homemade hippie windex is going to work even close. no way, no how.

there are certain things in life you don't frig around with...toilet paper is one, windex is another.
Try my above recipe, and you'll change your point of view ;)

It cuts grease and has zero streaks.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
LOL. I hate the smell of windex.
Me too...i'm used to it because my parents used it the whole time i was growing up, and i did too for a long time. But once i switched to water and vinegar, i realized how much i actually hated the smell of windex.

I like thinking of fish and chips while i clean. :p