• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

what happened to PVD?

rentboy

TRIBE Member
i know this should be in the Trance room but whatever.

This guy use to kick ass imo...his early and mid 90's production work was phenomenal...even his mid 90s up to 1998 sets were kick ass....then he went cheesy big time...

i can't stand his current work... what a waste.

seriously, how can you go from being at the top of the chain to yet another cheese product?

PVD, sort it out :cool:

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

TheLiquidFairy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rentboy
i know this should be in the Trance room but whatever.

This guy use to kick ass imo...his early and mid 90's production work was phenomenal...even his mid 90s up to 1998 sets were kick ass....then he went cheesy big time...

i can't stand his current work... what a waste.

seriously, how can you go from being at the top of the chain to yet another cheese product?

PVD, sort it out :cool:

Ask him....:p

Has he even released anything new yet?
POD was just a mix 2disc...

Damn him, I want him to come back to Canada.

XXX
Marian
:p

Nesta

TRIBE Member
his set at industry in june 1999 was a beautiful journey of melodic breaks, pumping progressive house, and uplifting trance.

then it all went down hill.

when i saw his video on much music i knew it was over.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
his set at industry in june 1999 was a beautiful journey of melodic breaks, pumping progressive house, and uplifting trance.

then it all went down hill.

when i saw his video on much music i knew it was over.

yeah, i was there...fully agreed...the decline was def linked to his whole Gatecrasher ressie thing and his commercial appeal...

i just don't understand it...his last album was ass (i would like to hear the album that will never come out tho, it was done after Seven Ways and surely has some wicked material)...and his sets are embarrassingly cheesy now...

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
definitely...some of the stuff from 7 ways (if i remember the title correctly) was so awesome...haven't really paid much attention to him at all lately...

jc

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djcheezwhiz
definitely...some of the stuff from 7 ways (if i remember the title correctly) was so awesome...haven't really paid much attention to him at all lately...

jc

yep...i loved his remix work too on Vorsprung Dyk Technic

xtollo

TRIBE Member
heh

that man has a such an amazing control of the bass line when you see him live, wow.

apparently he did a remix of Sashas Wavy Gravy, now this I have to hear.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Used to be more cutting edge, not as good as he used to be IMO.

Saw him play at twilo... crowd just adored him! He threw down two remixes of for an angel .. the original ... some remix..then followed by "words".... the crowd get N-U-T-S... I had a good time.. that is the only time I have seen him. Althought I still think he is better than Tiesto..

I really like the remix of "Words" that John Digweed has in his GU sydney... that other track that follows is really good too:
"...ecstacy ist eine wissenschaftliche Droge...."

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by chipotle
Used to be more cutting edge, not as good as he used to be IMO.

Saw him play at twilo... crowd just adored him! He threw down two remixes of for an angel .. the original ... some remix..then followed by "words".... the crowd get N-U-T-S... I had a good time.. that is the only time I have seen him.

I caught him in 1999 at Groovejet in Miami at the WMC and I can honestly say I was never more thoroughly disappointed in a set from a DJ I had previously adored so much. It was all anthems like System F. He played all of his tracks at least twice and just basically killed it for me.

I then caught him play in Toronto at the Guvernment last year at teh Guv 5 year. My girlfriend was a massive fan, and even though I warned her that she probably wouldn't like it, we went. Again, he was horrid. Everything was pitched up to +6. He dropped 'For An Angel' and I knew it was over for him. That track is over 4 years old. I was there with a friend from Perth, Australia and the 3 of us were so appalled that we walked out and left early. They ate it up though - sadly.

I think he got used to playing too many drugged up Crasher kids.

xtollo

TRIBE Member
haha strangest shit ever. I saw this thread today and now I'm going to see him NY next week. Fucking best news I've heard in a long time.

"Start spreading the news...we're leaving today..."

xtollo

TRIBE Member
^ heh you would Matt. You can tell it's October when I'm fucking quoting philosophers left and right. (or wait I mean political theorists) :rolleyes:

GroundedProd

the first mixtape i ever made...the entire a-side was PvD productions, a PvD remix of someone or someones remix of PvD

ahahaha

his older stuff was phenomenal...that really gritty grindy nord lead sound he used to use was amazing...

i remember him and Qattara remixng each other often, always with amazing results...

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by GroundedProd
the first mixtape i ever made...the entire a-side was PvD productions, a PvD remix of someone or someones remix of PvD

ahahaha

his older stuff was phenomenal...that really gritty grindy nord lead sound he used to use was amazing...

i remember him and Qattara remixng each other often, always with amazing results...

Ahh yes, back in the day he was good. Now he's just pants. His sound hasn't moved on if you ask me. I have a great tune by St. Etienne called 'Boy Is Crying' and he does a mix on one side. It's ebarrassingly horrible. Hybrid does a wicked job on the other side though.

I dunno, I think he got too into playing for the Gatecrasher crowd. It's ruined him.

I used to be the biggest PvD fan there ever was. Now I can't stand him.

Special K

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by loopdokter

I then caught him play in Toronto at the Guvernment last year at teh Guv 5 year. My girlfriend was a massive fan, and even though I warned her that she probably wouldn't like it, we went. Again, he was horrid. Everything was pitched up to +6. He dropped 'For An Angel' and I knew it was over for him. That track is over 4 years old. I was there with a friend from Perth, Australia and the 3 of us were so appalled that we walked out and left early. They ate it up though - sadly.

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVED his set at GUV when he was here last October. It was ALOT better than the time he played at the Warehouse. He threw down some breaks, progressive, techier stuff and of course some big huge trancey tunes. Hes probably the only "trance" dj that Id actually go pay to see. I still think he rocks and I cant wait to see him again.

And whats wrong with ending his set off with For An Angel?! Whats the difference with him ending his set with that and Sasha ending his set with Xpander (albeit a rare bootleg of Xpander that only he has) which everyone blew their loads over?!

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Special K

And whats wrong with ending his set off with For An Angel?! Whats the difference with him ending his set with that and Sasha ending his set with Xpander (albeit a rare bootleg of Xpander that only he has) which everyone blew their loads over?!

Because for four years now, he's played that track in nearly EVERY single one of his sets.

I mean, granted, it's a classic tune and all but move on already. It's getting a bit self-indulgent at this point.

My friend from Oz said the 2 times she'd caught him play in Oz he'd played it there too. Plus I have no respect for people who butcher such a tune as 'Rapture' by Iio. Deep Dish did a fine job on that one.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Ha, I've just been listening to his Essential mix from Home (04-23-00) which my definitive trance set that I listen to when hankering for it. I still fucking love this set event though my trance listening is pretty much non-existent now. I've got a couple other sets of his that are damn good but to me this is for sure one of his best.

SKIB

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by loopdokter

Plus I have no respect for people who butcher such a tune as 'Rapture' by Iio. Deep Dish did a fine job on that one.

Please explain to me what exactly you mean by this...

If you're talking about his "remix" on POD, I thought it was amazing...

Andrew Mack

TRIBE Member
PVD

I've never caught to many of his sets but i thought he was amazing at the loveparade this summer, the crowd was sure loving it.

Andrew.

Special K

TRIBE Member
Ive been listening to one of his e-mixes from April 20th of 1997 all morning...its soooooooooooooo good!!!

PVD STILL RULES!!!

:D

xtollo

TRIBE Member
I caught him a few weeks ago in NYC at the Roxy. He spun a 6 hour set and he was bouncing around the whole time. He really played a solid set. And the crowd was incredible.

Including: Carrera 2, the spell, Guide Me God, way too many of his own productions, and...the coast to coast remix of 'By the Way' the red hot chilli peppers song. The crowd was going off so hard, singing all the words.

He brought back the trance days, let me tell ya.