1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What happened to event reviews?

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by todiefor, Jun 22, 2010.

1. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

There was a time when there would be 20 reviews in here at least ranging from Tiesto to U2, from Dekoze to the Doves and everything in between.

If you posted a review that simply said an event was weak or amazing you'd get torched for writing a useless review! Nearly every thread was like the current DEMF thread.

Now, nobody writes period in here, it seems! Has everyone in this forum stopped going out since they turned 35+? Or are the partays and concerts just not that good anymore?

2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

all of the above

3. casual

casual TRIBE Promoter

The reviews died...along with the scene...lol..

4. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Alex can pay me for my reviews, $10 a pop LOL:D

It has alot to do with people no longer advertising in the upcoming events, there are less events people know about via tribe so if they are finding out elsewhere chances are they are posting their review there as well.

5. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I keep asking for them, and sometimes posting them (though mine are pretty well useless :p).

Tell me todiefor, when was the last time you posted a review (for something you weren't promoting of course)?

6. nikki.classics

nikki.classics TRIBE Member

i don't go out so much, and when i do i feel like nobody here is really interested. BUT i do like writing reviews, i just found a different forum for them.

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I think we should relax all the rules. Promoters should review their own events.

In the name of increased activity in this subforum, I think its a good idea..:)

Don't shame the promoters, after all, isn't a self-serving review better than none at all?

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

agreed, Alex shouldn't expect companies to rely on their fans/patrons to do their marketing for them. I have no problem with a promoter posting a review, reality will set in during the responses instead of the shilling we've been seeing from their friends.

These are rarely event reviews and just end up as promo anyway instead of a reliable review

9. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

i think everyone's afraid of not being as epic as Erica's reviews.

10. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

there isnt nearly the amount of event listings going up either

11. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Facebook killed the event review by burying past events. Here, the Tribe demographic has certainly changed, with obvious implications. Beyond that... what sort of event reviews can you expect in 2010? Positive reviews always sound the same and seldom seem to inspire much dialogue. The reviews that heat up the forum are typically negative--especially those where a promoter (or friend of the promoter) valiantly defends the event, or takes constructive criticism the wrong way, and things spiral out of control.

12. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

^those are the reviews that are fun to read :)

13. rulz

rulz TRIBE Member

no new people on tribe = no review

14. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

eriKa's reviews are usually 5 line poems.
    :confused:

not too epic, other than the french touches in the vocab.

15. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    umm merci I think (but definitely for the K - in the name!)

I'm still not crazy about people posting a "review" about the event which they promoted or played. Imagine a film director posting a review of their movie "I made this film, it was awesome!!"; that really doesn't work for me.

On the other hand, making people pay to promote an event on here in 2010 seems somewhat anachronistic.

And Nikki, I'm interested and I'm sure others are. If you post it elsewhere, you can copy/paste it in here. Look at how great the DEMF review thread became, once I asked...

16. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I don't post event reviews unless there is something to write about. That doesn't always mean that the event was not worthwhile - sometimes I just don't have anything to say about it. Sometimes I'm just too tired. A lot of it though it just seems like the event is not "Tribe material". I don't really know what that means though.

Then there's just the fact that there are fewer events posted. If I find out about something that I went to outside of Tribe, I'm less likely to think that Tribe community would be interested. For example, I went to both the breakandenter and the milkrun party on that same night last month. Neither were on Tribe, so I didn't post anything. I also met like one other person from Tribe in both places. I also saw Paco Osuna and Ellen Allien in NYC. Thought about posting it - it was fun exploratory type of things for me, but in the end I just don't think anyone would care.

Who knows though. Sometimes I'm just moody and want to be a consumer. That's just me though.

17. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    Well if you just want to consume, fair enough, but if you go to something neat, who cares if you found out about it on tribe? the exploratory ones are often the most interesting to me :)

18. docta seuss

docta seuss TRIBE Member

well, sort of.. I could be wrong, but I feel as though there aren't many early-20's folks left here, and most of us have gone into career/family mode to some degree.

if TRIBE members aren't going to half as many shows as they used to, of course there won't be many reviews.

19. Hispeeddub

Hispeeddub TRIBE Member

facebook.

20. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

That's one side of the coin... on the other hand, those of us who have become more deeply involved in EDM culture tend to run labels, promote, or produce, and discussion of these activities are fairly restricted here on Tribe, so you won't hear about these things all that much.

21. ravinjunkie

ravinjunkie TRIBE Member

not as many tribers going out. personally, i've stopped going out as much and the few times I do, I can't be bothered to post a review.

for example,

Noisia in Jan = sick party
    D.A.V.E The Drummer - props to Unabomber for pullin that off

I go to Eclipse every year - that's abt it.

yaa can't be arsed, the only comments was ppl mostly correcting my grammar. Raiban L0L.

22. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

ravinjunkie no longer a rave junkie? Say it ain't so.

23. erika

erika TRIBE Member

And I don't see much in the way of reviews on the "other" site either; even less than here it seems.

24. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

"Other" site? There can be only one.

25. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

I think people are just over them to be honest.