• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What does your desktop look like?

Oh what the hell, here's mine
smile.gif

screenshot.jpg

zedtech

Whoops! I have a feeling I might have just won the Tribe award for biggest thread stretcher.

I meant to post this scaled down version ...

desktop_small.jpg

Cheers ... Ian
smile.gif

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
Vise I really like that wallpaper.

aether: how stable is vmware? Do I need tons of memory to be able to run games within it? Also what build of linux are you running.

speace.

koz: i'm running debian unstable/sid with a 2.4 kernel right now. vmware seems very stable for day-to-day use. windows will crash occasionally, but that stays confined to the window, and never drags down the rest of my system (i'm not sure the crashing can be blamed on vmware
wink.gif
. i wouldn't use it to play any seriously graphics-intensive games, but i haven't given that a serious try either (but there's a fair bit of overhead involved in running a virtual machine on top of another OS). i can watch video at a decent framerate, but then again, i'm running a dual-700mhz pIII with 256 megs of ram devoted to vmware. [/geek]

some people say my desktop is weird, but i like the way it looks.

36391.jpg

go team mac! all 3

byebye
kait

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cheer Bear:
Now it looks like this
smile.gif
</font>

You gotta put it up right though. Your's looks squished.
wink.gif

It is a really wide picture though. 2400 x 1200 pixels. It fits on mine up and down, but a little bit of Australia gets cut off, hehe.

Cheers ... Ian
smile.gif

Hey Bass-Invader I had that same NASA winamp skin but the buttons were too little for me to see.

Here's mine.. I just formatted my HD so it's not quite the same as it usually is..

screenshot.jpg

Peter

Here's mine. I can't use giant images because I'd have to enable Active desktop which kills system performance when I'm doing audio work.

desktop.jpg

You don't need to have active desktop enabled. I do audio work on my comp too..

Just put the image in your Windows dir as a .bmp file and it'll show up in the list of backgrounds.

Peter

^^^^Not if it's exactly 1280x1024 (my resolution). Anytime I try and load a graphic that's fits the screen exactly I get a message telling me I have to turn on active desktop. If I convert the 1280x1024 jpegs to bmps will it make a difference?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aether:
koz: i'm running debian unstable/sid with a 2.4 kernel right now. vmware seems very stable for day-to-day use. windows will crash occasionally, but that stays confined to the window, and never drags down the rest of my system (i'm not sure the crashing can be blamed on vmware
wink.gif
. i wouldn't use it to play any seriously graphics-intensive games, but i haven't given that a serious try either (but there's a fair bit of overhead involved in running a virtual machine on top of another OS). i can watch video at a decent framerate, but then again, i'm running a dual-700mhz pIII with 256 megs of ram devoted to vmware. [/geek]
</font>

thanks for the info. yea I have been meaning to get an old pentium to run linux on. I have Mandrake lying around somewhere. but it was a real bitch when I installed it last. tons of packagaes seemed to be missing and I had a really hard time compiling and installing stuff. But damn was it ever powerful. plus I love the 4 different desktops idea.

speace.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soundstream:
You gotta put it up right though. Your's looks squished.
wink.gif

It is a really wide picture though. 2400 x 1200 pixels. It fits on mine up and down, but a little bit of Australia gets cut off, hehe.

Cheers ... Ian
smile.gif
</font>

How the hell do I make it fit? Remember, I've been stuck on a mac for 8 years Ian.
wink.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by m..m:
^^^^Not if it's exactly 1280x1024 (my resolution). Anytime I try and load a graphic that's fits the screen exactly I get a message telling me I have to turn on active desktop. If I convert the 1280x1024 jpegs to bmps will it make a difference?</font>

yeap, you can load up a large image as a background fine as a bmp without active desktop turned on.

interesting note, 1280x1024 isn't a properly ratio'd resolution, 1280x960 would be the next proper step up from 1024x768. Consequently graphics and text get minutely distorted at 1280x1024 in comparison to 1024x768, 1280x960, 1600x1280 etc.