• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

what does normalizing do?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Normalization closes any headroom gap between the peak level (loudest decibal wise) of your tune and 0db by increaseing the gain or volume of your track so that the peak level (decibal wise) of your tune is brought to 0 db.

0 db is the loudest level sound can go in the digital world, any digital audio that's pushed beyond that is lost and causes the common efffect known as clipping.

So consider 0db as your absolute level in the digital world, any tune's loudest peak that is below 0db has has headroom to be normalized.
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
If your applying this to a long peice of audio like a mix, get a friend who knows waht they are doing to apply a slight compression on it.

With mixsets I find there is such a wide range of levels throughout that normalizing it may not do much, especially if there is that one crackly track that had lots of pops causing transient spikes to hit 0db. If there is any part of your tune that has hit 0db already, notmalization will not do anything.

A slight compression to kill the transient spikes and reduce the increased levels during the mixing parts in your set and can make a world of differene in the mood of your set, and can make mixes sound 100 times smoother without compromising the integrity of the music too much.
 
Last edited:

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DeepSix
see, this forum *should* be called "Ask Otis" ;)
No, ;). But I like dispensing advice.. I hope I don't come across as too much of a blabberbox tho.
 

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Normalization closes any headroom gap between the peak level (loudest decibal wise) of your tune and 0db by increaseing the gain or volume of your track so that the peak level (decibal wise) of your tune is brought to 0 db.

0 db is the loudest level sound can go in the digital world, any digital audio that's pushed beyond that is lost and causes the common efffect known as clipping.

So consider 0db as your absolute level in the digital world, any tune's loudest peak that is below 0db has has headroom to be normalized.
Normaize can go beyond or below 0db depending of course on what resolution in the digital domain you are using. 0db is not the highest level one could use if you are working at a 32bit float. You would actually be closer to +6db. In a lamens turm the normalization is often like turning up the volume on something to it achives the highest posible level with out clipping. This does not change the actual dynamic range as often is thought. In fact everything should stay in the same relative range but at a higher or lower setting. No pitch changes, compresion or increased dynamic range. As a note though one should only normalize to 0.5db if going to cd or mp3 because some older DAC units will clip with a 0db signal.
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava


Normaize can go beyond or below 0db depending of course on what resolution in the digital domain you are using. 0db is not the highest level one could use if you are working at a 32bit float. You would actually be closer to +6db. In a lamens turm the normalization is often like turning up the volume on something to it achives the highest posible level with out clipping. This does not change the actual dynamic range as often is thought. In fact everything should stay in the same relative range but at a higher or lower setting. No pitch changes, compresion or increased dynamic range. As a note though one should only normalize to 0.5db if going to cd or mp3 because some older DAC units will clip with a 0db signal.
I agree with everything you said, the software I use has 32 bit floating point processing, and it has that atvantage, however, this will not help a beginner understand what it is.
 

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Actually, I find some limiting helps in regard to this matter. If you know how to use them, the Waves series of mastering plug-ins can be your saviour!

Hint: L2.

Cheers,
JK
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by loopdokter
Actually, I find some limiting helps in regard to this matter. If you know how to use them, the Waves series of mastering plug-ins can be your saviour!

Hint: L2.

Cheers,
JK
That plugin is a great way to get realtime limiting..
 

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Well I've just 'limited' you in your response, now haven't I?

Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be here all week...

Cheers,
JK
 

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Aequitas
^^^
That one mix you mastered for us, whatever you did, sounded incredible...
Thanks mate!

Yeah, I know the one and that was one of the better showings of my skill in the studio.

I'm quite proud of that. I only wish I had a copy! I think I deleted it by mistake. :(

Cheers,
JK

PS - new studio is going to be set up soon. The move is complete!
 
Top