• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What does it take to be a Politician?

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
Ok so i know very little as far as politics are concerned. I was always under the impression that anybody in theory could run and be elected into office. Is this the case? Is there a minimum standard of education/qualifications to be elected into Provincial or Federal office? If not than why is this? The job is a high profile job that involves making very important decisions that can have such consequences on our environment. You would think you would want the best of the best for the position rather than electing some bum who is lucky that his family was in the business. For me it just seems that there is a never ending line-up of these idiots just waiting for their turn to push their bullshit agenda.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Ok so i know very little as far as politics are concerned. I was always under the impression that anybody in theory could run and be elected into office. Is this the case? Is there a minimum standard of education/qualifications to be elected into Provincial or Federal office? If not than why is this? The job is a high profile job that involves making very important decisions that can have such consequences on our environment. You would think you would want the best of the best for the position rather than electing some bum who is lucky that his family was in the business. For me it just seems that there is a never ending line-up of these idiots just waiting for their turn to push their bullshit agenda.
good rant. get it out, get it out...

it starts with leadership ability, and usually someone is inspired by a particular issue (or wanting to push a bullshit agenda) when they decide to run for office. Strong ties to a specific community / service to a community, the ability to raise a lot of money, type A personality, knowledge of the law and government is crucial too.

erika

TRIBE Member
you need to be a canadian citizen, not have a criminal record (at least when you start out :p) and have connections in the community/political party.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
You would think you would want the best of the best for the position rather than electing some bum who is lucky that his family was in the business.
You're hitting a big nail on the head in democratic discourse - there's always been a tension between having "experts" in charge in parliament/legislative houses, and having "the common man" in charge.

In America this goes back to Hamilton vs Jefferson, England has had civil wars over this split, and here in canada more locally I would say the Ford/Smitherman mayoral race was pretty much over the same dividing line.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
You need to be rich and part of the Old Boys Club so it seems...
this is accurate.. I think 40-?? people entered the contest for the deputy mayor, but it seems like it's been settled before it starts.

everyone's hooked up..

Hell I was thinking of going down there in a clown costume and running for it.

Ford got elected rite? Elect the little guy who's broke! I can do better than the trife that's going on now. worrying about nothing because they have dollars. Just yell and yell and do shit. I'm really good at that!

Puma

TRIBE Member
to be a politician

1.) you need to be able to lie , cheat and steal. No one values the truth or honesty and taxpayers money is there to be wasted on brain dead ideas.
2.) be without any morals or intelligence.
3.) have the ability to divide the people into smaller segments and throw each group some table scraps just to get elected.
4.) be selfish so that you can help your self and the ones closest to you , the rest of the citizens are not human they are only good to pay taxes the more the better.
5.) need to be able to come up with interesting ways to tax people without calling it a tax. The bureaucrats love that one it keeps them employed.
6.) be able to promise a bunch of stuff that sound great but once elected act like you never promised anything and do the exact opposite of what you promised. The faster you can abandon your promises the better politician you will be.

If you can handle that you will make it in politics no problem.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
^ I think you'd be great. You are clearly awesome at not doing work all day.
Well yeah. It's part of the I need to make money to feed myself, and hopefully not be in the gutter and have a roof over my head kind of thing. I took a year off. It's hard to dust off the Cobwebs. Argh. Blegh. Man, shit.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
to be a politician

1.) you need to be able to lie , cheat and steal. No one values the truth or honesty and taxpayers money is there to be wasted on brain dead ideas.
3.) have the ability to divide the people into smaller segments and throw each group some table scraps just to get elected.
4.) be selfish so that you can help your self and the ones closest to you , the rest of the citizens are not human they are only good to pay taxes the more the better.
5.) need to be able to come up with interesting ways to tax people without calling it a tax. The bureaucrats love that one it keeps them employed.
6.) be able to promise a bunch of stuff that sound great but once elected act like you never promised anything and do the exact opposite of what you promised. The faster you can abandon your promises the better politician you will be.

No that's what you end up getting typically. But you won't get elected unless you lie, and everyone falls for it. Because people love to hear bullshit.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
You know like how miller left a 200 million surplus but ford convinced everyone he saved a billion in the hole but really just had the same surplus as miller? Yeah that. People just listen to the radio and believe what they're told sort of shit.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
to be a politician

what 90s punkrock song is this?