• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

what do YOU live for?

paetsr

TRIBE Member
Like a innocent child asking his mother where he came from, so too are we the innocent children asking why are we here. As it happens to be, so too are we deceived yet once again by our mother, but in this context our mother is existence;... we are told of lies, not the truth of why we came to be: We did not exit the womb our mother bore us through-we were sent by flying birds wrapped in heavenly white cloth conveniently to our doorstep-we exist because of a predisposition of our non-satisfaction, a level of our non-readiness, a desire that cannot be fed in its early stages. A self-deception to veil the meaninglessness of existence... some nihilists would say.
My opinion is that there does exist meaning objectively, or meaning exists in itself alone, even when "objectively" there is no true meaning. E.g. An empty beer bottle sitting by itself on a windowstill, from that no one can say anything about it. Stories and possibilies could be generated, like "someone drank it and left it there", "it is a piece of artwork waiting to be photographed", etc. But it is a empty beer bottle sitting by itself on a windowstill, nothing more or less can be given from its original state. What essentially I am trying to say is that despite the various views on meaning of existence (and although nihilism seems the most attractive), on a human level, human existence seems to be a very precious and delicate thing. On its basic and most lowly core, our existence starts with a single sperm and single egg. Considering the fact that all of us had to compete with two million or so people has to mean something. Even if it is down to its biological fuctions.
Try this for yourself: What do you see when you open your eyes, ears; senses? Your mind tries to rationalise everything-who,what,when,where,how? Meaning is labelled for the most part, and objectively it implies no meaning and objectively it imples meaning.
As I feel that existence has meaning because of what the biological functions implies, (that it is very special and wonderful that human life exists because it exists through a very tough struggle of trying to come into being with a likely chance of non-existence), it also implies that through the processes of struggle, the notion is absurd. Meaningless. Hope and despair. Struggle for who? For what? For when or how long? Why is it that we do know how to struggle and the rest we are perplexed by?

Casey

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
the fact that existence is inherently meaningless does not predicate that existence is devoid of all meaning. what keeps the suffering man from offing himself is up to him, it is a choice that he makes and a consequence that he (and he alone) answers for.

<3

kick

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
btw dylan you should read Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus," it is pretty much speaking to exactly these issues.

I was talking to a crazy guy on the street car about the Dune books...and he told me to read that.

Should I take crazy guys advice? Is good ja?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
-writing (and/or creative stuff of many sorts)
-trying to encourage human progression in the face of mass regression
-unfortunately and to daily regret, politics
-people I love
-aboriginal affairs
-9/11 Truth Movement (sort of)
-Coffee
-teh weed
-gin
-cheesecake and chocolate
-good movies
-hiking

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I live to make others happy. Its always been my role. With family and friends

I also live everyday hoping to have one more chance with Ms Boss Hog

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I live for the now. When I die, who is going to care?
No one. You die, you're gone. Your memory lives on? Big deal.
You're dead and useless.

I live to serve my community. It's my duty.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
lately patios. I'm on a patio tour of toronto this summer. I got that Now or eye newspaper with all the patios all aroundt oronto on my wall...we're doing min two a week all summer and crossing them off as we go its WICKED fun.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I live waiting for the day I poop a rainbow--then I shall die peacefully, even without the knowledge of the fate of the pot of gold I must also have shat.

paetsr

TRIBE Member
I came across something interesting today while reading the articles on Wikipedia. Ludwig Wittgenstein tried to explain the meaninglessness of this type of metaphysical talk by stating the human language is not capable of conveying the right truth to the truth-seeker. The example given is if one were to ask "what is the time?", one could give a very accurate answer, i.e. 11:46.31.xPM. But if one were to ask "what is time?" the problem is quite obvious, since one could not determine an a priori or empirical truth without theory and/or theorems. He further states that it is a natural process that language has been fitted for practical uses and nothing transcendental of human capability. That is, anything beyond human control or comprehension.
I find that quite reasonable, and to extend from that point I believe that language has to evolve in order to answer such vague questions like "what do you live for?" Can that mean, "why do you live?" or "what is the purpose of living?" or "what is the meaning or value of existence?"... all these things mean different things.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
easy, i want to see what comes next, the next day, the next weekend, the next year....there isnt just one thing, it is everything, you never know what is to come

ila

TRIBE Member
quantumize said:
i live to make more money for my clients in a day than you have seen in your life

wowy zowy!!

I like living, I'm pretty good at it. so I've decided to just keep on doing it. good times.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
We've had a few billion years of genetic evolution to ensure that our programming is designed not to be suicidal. And yet...

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
kick said:
I was talking to a crazy guy on the street car about the Dune books...and he told me to read that.

Should I take crazy guys advice? Is good ja?

it is good but pretty dense, not exactly easy-before-bed reading.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
I don't think there's a lot of worth in evaluating the meaning of "existence" unless you were to typify it on scientific grounds. And even then, you are always brought to the turtle's back, recursively.