• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What do you guys think of this beast...

olde

TRIBE Member
I don't really see how its much different than a regular computer, but with hard disk recording and a built in midi-interface?

jordan

olde

TRIBE Member
Im confused...

Is there something I'm missing?

Other than the standard, brains/balls/good looks combo that is?

jordan

physix

TRIBE Member
oh, now stop it!

i'm sure you got nice balls.

no, you're right on point on the machine.

but, i'd rather have this than a PC.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

halo five

TRIBE Member
I'm not sold, you could buy yourself a decent 19" rackmount case and make a system for a lot cheaper, and you'd have the flexibility to use whatever audio interface you want, for a lot cheaper.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Sadie is the shit I want all in DSD.
Once you go DSD you wont ever want to hear a PCM sound again.

Argue all you want but untill you listen then you should all just keep your two cents to yourself.

OH I mentioned before the merging audio is another system I would consider. It would be a toss up.

This does look cool though I might research it a bit more.

:D

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Fuck DSD, its all about DNI... Until I can feed the audio directly into my brain you can all just fuck off with this low quality shit. Direct Neural Interface or bust.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Seriously though, this thing looks pretty nice. If your going to get it I would definitely go for the dual though, with the firewire option as well. Add a second LCD moniter and you have one insane workstation.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: What do you guys think of this beast...

Originally posted by Isosceles_CAT
Fuck DSD, its all about DNI... Until I can feed the audio directly into my brain you can all just fuck off with this low quality shit. Direct Neural Interface or bust.

That's when we truly as artists can let ppl hear what we see.

I am all in favour of that. But seriously I would like to play some stuff for ppl one day to show the differences because it's a shame that its not more available for producers. Again it's the old what is best does not nesc. get used. Funny thing is DSD should be cheap as all hell to produce because it requires less sophisticated chips to crunch the numbers.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: What do you guys think of this beast...

Originally posted by Isosceles_CAT
Seriously though, this thing looks pretty nice. If your going to get it I would definitely go for the dual though, with the firewire option as well. Add a second LCD moniter and you have one insane workstation.
As an IT pro I will say go LCD for sure. Fuck it saves your eyes. Also the dual thing is hard to beat.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
So I read a bit more on thier site about that machine and basically it is a streamlined PC using AMD chips running on XP Pro. http://www.carillonusa.com/ aLso does similar stuff but you choose the computers based on the application you want to run, along with the specific hardware to compliment it. Personally I can build a machine more tailored to my needs though. I am not sure if this approach is better for everyone as I have more background in IT? If you do understand how to put a computer together, and I mean really understand as some ppl talk a fair amout of bullshit on the subject who don't fully understand the benifits of such things like SCSI, Seek Times, RAIDS (and the different levels of), then I would suggest buying prefabricated products. If you do understand then save your money and build a full on designed machine to fit your needs.

I can offer advice on this forum as I said before on stuff I build and use. Though I am not unbiased because of my needs I always have stated why I think a certain configuration, product, etc it what I like and why.

physix

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
So I read a bit more on thier site about that machine and basically it is a streamlined PC using AMD chips running on XP Pro. http://www.carillonusa.com/ aLso does similar stuff but you choose the computers based on the application you want to run, along with the specific hardware to compliment it.
Are there audio connections and pre-amps in this thingy?

I couldn't find anything...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

olde

TRIBE Member
SCSI, RAIDS... etc. etc.

It sounds like your building a dedicated New Server running SCO or something....

Why do you need all that gear just to run audio programs?

(this is a question, not a comment.)

jordan

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Why would someone need all that stuff to run audio applications. The answer is if you are streaming say 16 tracks at 24/96 you are looking at moving a fair amount of data. Don't spec me off the top of my head but you could be up in the 30 MB/sec range. Crank that up to 24/192Khz plus pluggins, etc you can easily max out many IDE hard drives. Seek Times Error Checking RAM all help. Granted not everyone will need that.

As for servers I had my fair share of fun with them from setting up Cray Research systems to Sun Enterprise systems. BTW the Cray ran SCO UNIX. The Joke is I remeber setting up a EMS RAID system for one of our financial Instatutions around 2K time and I think it was around 200GB of storage with a cost of around 1.5-3Million. Now you can do something that could outperform it for less than 3K.

As for preamps on that machine I did not see anything to indicate that.

olde

TRIBE Member
I'm getting the idea as to why you would need multiple SCSI hard drives etc.

Thats a lot of data movement.

The only real experience I have with SCO is when I worked tech support at this little shit ISP when I was 17. The owners booked for 4 months the day I started and we didn't have a sys admin for 2 weeks. We had this little News Server that ran SCO it had a 10GB hard drive. It was the funniest thing you ever saw.

anyways, thanks for the answered question, I guess when I start thinking about hardcore computer gear, I don't automatically think of audio.

jordan

casual

TRIBE Promoter
lets be serious

first off....this things a marketing ploy....why would you possibly buy such a dedicated peice of hardware, when you can get a more generalized computer that does as much plus more??

how much is this giong for??

providing this gear is expensive, which I am assuming it is, why wouldn't you by a G5, fuck pc, lets be serious, you want to talk like a pro, then act like a pro and buy real gear, not fucking marketing ploys, please...

this unit has 8 inputs, what are you recording, a choir? if not you don't need all those inputs, not too mention that they seemingly forget to note if the 8 inputs are balanced or unbalanced, thats weird!!!!, you want nice input for relatively cheap, buy an Mbox, excellent [for it's price] a/d converter and it's pre-amps are made by focusrite, which I can only assume destroys this unit. If you need more inputs by a digi 001 or 002 [001's are going for mad cheap and work on pc or mac] or if you have any balls buy a tdm rig. Then you get to use the most powerful audio software in the world PROTOOLS. I realize this unit says that you can use pro tools with it, but what they fail to mention is that you still need to bye the digi hardware. Not to mention it hardly elaborates on its d/a, a/d converters which we all know is [if recording audio to a digital format] extremely important.

whatever, I could go on for hours, I am not saying this unit will not do the job, but if you were to purchase it, you are completely limited.

or you can become a "real" head and buy some fucking gear and avoid using computers completely, not to mention you might actually learn the concept of synthesis...

fucking software sluts...

ez

mad jaded....

physix

TRIBE Member
to heck with macs

to DOUBLE deck with pro-tools

and to heck with the mentality that thinks you need a mac G5 and pro-tools to sound professional.

macs won't make crap sound like gold.
neither will pro-tools... and no one
cares what your song is made with
and on what computers except other
Mac G5 owners running pro-tools...
and they ain't payin' the bills.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
If I had the cash and I was using a Protools rig TDM would be the only way with a Prism front end. Other than that Protools is no better than Nuendo and say a motu card. Actually Motu sounds better as do many other cards for a fraction of the price. Combine the software and the fact PT is not nesc the best sounding software then its a bit of hard pill to swallow. The advantages PT always has now is that many studio use it plus it is TDM based with card farms to do the processing. The digi 002 does not use Focusrite stuff either for the record. Now I have worked with the HD 192 system and yes it sounds good especially just to have the power not being used by the host machine. Mac does have a good OS called OSX that fucken kills winblows. No arguments. I have worked for countless years as a unix architect and I can tell you that its tight. Windows still has the upper hand though on developers and raw power in terms of CPU cycles. But whatever, I still don't know if I would go PT because a nice Sadie or Merging audio system IMO kills just about anything for sound. But then again it comes down to how or what you are using things for. I personally mix down and master out tracks. These systems are good for that. On the other hand if I was doing bands and similar things I would defn like PT running on a MAC.

beaker

TRIBE Member
i can't believe you guys are dissing digidesign while considering the merits of this system based on that sloppy writeup in the link posted above.

codex might have been harsh but he raises valid points IMO.

casual

TRIBE Promoter
harsh??? yeah, I was, thats how I am....it's all in good fun...I am not saying that pro-tools is the best sounding?? I think that would be hard to judge [the sound of the software, that is]. but what I am suggesting, if you are doing audio, pro-tools is an extremely power audio editor...I use an LE rig every day, and a TDM rig w/pro control about twice a week...I am well versed in neundo [and cubase sx, obviously] and logic, but for audio editing, pro-tools hands down.
and to suggest a sadie system? no doubt it's superior, we actually have one and an hd rig in our 3rd studio [which I am unfortuantely never in], but do you think a sadie system is realistic for what us cats are looking for?? is not an extremely expensive system?

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by codex
harsh??? yeah, I was, thats how I am....it's all in good fun...I am not saying that pro-tools is the best sounding?? I think that would be hard to judge [the sound of the software, that is]. but what I am suggesting, if you are doing audio, pro-tools is an extremely power audio editor...I use an LE rig every day, and a TDM rig w/pro control about twice a week...I am well versed in neundo [and cubase sx, obviously] and logic, but for audio editing, pro-tools hands down.
and to suggest a sadie system? no doubt it's superior, we actually have one and an hd rig in our 3rd studio [which I am unfortuantely never in], but do you think a sadie system is realistic for what us cats are looking for?? is not an extremely expensive system?
A sadie would be all that if I went with lots of out board gear again. I would be hard pressed though to want to lean towards the Merging audio system though. Protool I am not nuts about for the midi. For audio editing it's about as easy as it gets. Nuendo is just as easy for me to though. Actually with its better midi and VST integration I can't really complain. In an ideal world hmmm I might go Nuendo for midi and control for my outboard synths and VST and a sadie or something for editing. Heck maybe even protools. I don't love PCM systems but am forced to use them. I do think in the next two years you will see DSD become very cheap. HEck its a 1 bit processor so computations are simple. Its almost as simple as running a low pass filter over a data stream because that is almost what you are listening to.

But anyone who argues Protools is not the industry standard has obviously never worked in many studio.