• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What do you call it?

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
a breakbeat is any broken beat, regardless of tempo or genre, so although a lot of people do refer to breaks as breakbeat, calling calling them that is sorta the same as calling jungle breakbeat, or hiphop breakbeat.. which you can do, but it gets kinda confusing that way.

actually, i think IDJ reviews breaks under the category 'breakbeats'..

basically, either way is technically correct i s'pose, but the term breaks would be preferred i think.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by funkNstyle
Breaks aka my life.

breaks, all the time. in my head, car, home stereo, on my decks, on my comp, it never ends.

*inspiration hits*

Thanks mang......I'll hook you up for that.

:D

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
What the hell is a broken beat anyway?

Because the term 'Break' is a compositional term in Funk/Soul music that had nothing to do with beats being broken. The Break Beat was the beat that occurred/came to the forefront in this part of the song.

PS: Is Broken Beat (2 Step meets Nu Jazz/Afro House) Breakbeat?

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DaPhatConductor
What the hell is a broken beat anyway?

Because the term 'Break' is a compositional term in Funk/Soul music that had nothing to do with beats being broken.

breakbeats are called broken beats in electronic music, because they are a broken beat. 'broken' refers to any beat where instead of a regular, uniform pattern, the beat is syncopated, as in drum & bass, or hop hop, or breaks, or breakbeat jazz, or whatever, which all happen to be composed of breakbeats.

that doesn't mean that breakbeats are called what they are because they are broken.

in other words, the 'broken' in broken beats, has nothing to do with the 'break' in breakbeats, other than the 'break', as a compositional term, causing the beat to be broken...

(i think i've gone cross-eyed)
:D

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders