• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What DAW do you use?

Deus

TRIBE Member
I recently stumbled upon Studio One by PreSonus. I don't know why I didn't know about it before, but I'm loving it. I've been messing about with Cubase for 15 years now, but once I tried the demo of this DAW I was converted. So easy to use and has all the features that I always wished Cubase would have. Steinberg is just too stuck in their ways and does not think outside the box. This was created by a core group of ex-Steinberg developers so a lot of the functionality is the same as Cubase, but with a modern and intuative twist, yet it feels comfortable for and old Cubase user.

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know. If you're frustrated with your current daw, give it a go and see how you like it. Everything is drag and drop and very intuative. :thumbsup:

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Deus, you dangerous motherfucker. Tryin to entice a long-time cubase guy like me to switch to another daw. A few years ago I was against cubase even. I cant change now. But you make quite a compelling case in just a few short sentences i must say. Cubase 5 for......life......?.....well at least for another couple years....;)

Deus

TRIBE Member
A friend of mine swears by Ableton Live and say he can slap together some really complex grooves in no time. I have Lite version of Live and I've loaded it up a few times, but I am only slowly learning the concepts behind it. I am a MIDI guy at heart and I still like oldschool style samplers like Kotakt where an audio channel is assigned to a midi channel.

This same friend has been trying to convince me to ditch Cubase for Ableton, and I always told him that I'm a Cubaser for life. Apparently not so... :)

Sal De Ban, try the demo version of Studio One. It's fully functional for 30 days. And the Pro version is on sale right now on the Presonus website for 200 bucks. I think it's discounted in anticipation of Studio One v2 that is due out soon.

Blue Meanies

TRIBE Member
A lot of studio one's features are direct copies of what Ableton has been doing for years now ;)

I personally use ableton for not only production but also live performance!! It's amazing. Also tried logic a few times but always find ableton to be superior in many areas!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Deus

TRIBE Member
A lot of studio one's features are direct copies of what Ableton has been doing for years now ;)
From my observations Ableton is oriented towards the electronic music producers while StudioOne is a complete DAW for any type of recording. I don't think Ableton appeals to other types of recording and mixing engineers, so Studio One brings this kind of functionality to a fully fledged DAW.

I heard in version 2, they are adding more Ableton-like features. But it's just a rumor at this point. I would love more Ableton-like features as I produce electronic music! I have a Lite version of Ableton which I can always ReWire to StudioOne.

I tried Reaper too. What an amazing DAW!

Deus

TRIBE Member
Sorry to turn this thread into a sales pitch for Stuido One but this is what's coming in version 2 to be released in the next few weeks.

Check the vids here:
celemony_ :: ARA

Perfect for remixers.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
I've been using Cubase since.. whenever sx 2 was out.

It's like an extension of my body now - I can't go anywhere else. I tried mucking around with Ableton, but never really liked it.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit