• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What are you working on?

saskboy

TRIBE Member
I'm writing a screenplay based on a play by Shakespeare. I have tonnes of other ideas as well, including a documentary, television series, a novel, short stories, other ideas for mainstream scripts. A prof friend keeps bugging me to apply to a phd programme as I have a neat idea for a dissertation.

But the first project is the one I'm married to. I've given up a lot to pursue it. I left any chance of a career in the financial world and got a job as mailman so I can support this obsession. I've quit and passed on relationships as they interfere with my work. I'm too selfish right now. I don't go out as much anymore. I never wanted to do this. I fought it for so long.

I hardly see my friends as I spend most of my time alone working. Some days, it just sucks. It's like being in a relationship with yourself and all you want to do is get a divorce. Other days, it's exhilarating. I get a body rush when I finally figure out a scene. Drama's a fucking bitch. I spent four months this winter examining the ontological foundations of drama with regards to the stage compared to the screen. I now know I'm on the right course. At the time, I had no clue what I was doing. I was just staring at a wall all day, everyday. Sometimes the words that come out are just scribbled down puke. You just have to keep barfing it up until it comes out right.

Tribe has helped a lot though. It keeps the aloneness from turning into loneliness. I fuck around on here, see what works (and mostly) what doesn't. Who knew editors were so important? A good internet rant keeps you sane. My posts are much less now as my project grows.

It's like coming out when you say to people you want to be a writer. Some will cut you down. They always ask the same question, "So,... how many pages have you written?" But I've found lots of encouragement along the way. You find other people on the same path or friends of people who know somebody who's done it. I met a composer at work who gave a great piece of advise,

"Never, ever tell people what your project is about until it's finished or else your idea loses it's power."

Moez

TRIBE Member
Opera. always.

currently: Nanetta in Falstaff - Verdi

later this summer: Magic Flute - Mozart for Kitchener opera

Later this year: Adele in Die Fledermaus - Strauss
Flaminia in Il mondo della luna by Haydn

PLUS: learn five new arias for auditions and apply for more auditions in the States.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Opera. always.

currently: Nanetta in Falstaff - Verdi

later this summer: Magic Flute - Mozart for Kitchener opera

Later this year: Adele in Die Fledermaus - Strauss
Flaminia in Il mondo della luna by Haydn

PLUS: learn five new arias for auditions and apply for more auditions in the States.

i saw on fb that you're in SOL! apparently my girl knows a couple of people in Dido and Aenas.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
I'm writing a screenplay based on a play by Shakespeare. I have tonnes of other ideas as well, including a documentary, television series, a novel, short stories, other ideas for mainstream scripts. A prof friend keeps bugging me to apply to a phd programme as I have a neat idea for a dissertation.

But the first project is the one I'm married to. I've given up a lot to pursue it. I left any chance of a career in the financial world and got a job as mailman so I can support this obsession. I've quit and passed on relationships as they interfere with my work. I'm too selfish right now. I don't go out as much anymore. I never wanted to do this. I fought it for so long.

I hardly see my friends as I spend most of my time alone working. Some days, it just sucks. It's like being in a relationship with yourself and all you want to do is get a divorce. Other days, it's exhilarating. I get a body rush when I finally figure out a scene. Drama's a fucking bitch. I spent four months this winter examining the ontological foundations of drama with regards to the stage compared to the screen. I now know I'm on the right course. At the time, I had no clue what I was doing. I was just staring at a wall all day, everyday. Sometimes the words that come out are just scribbled down puke. You just have to keep barfing it up until it comes out right.

Tribe has helped a lot though. It keeps the aloneness from turning into loneliness. I fuck around on here, see what works (and mostly) what doesn't. Who knew editors were so important? A good internet rant keeps you sane. My posts are much less now as my project grows.

It's like coming out when you say to people you want to be a writer. Some will cut you down. They always ask the same question, "So,... how many pages have you written?" But I've found lots of encouragement along the way. You find other people on the same path or friends of people who know somebody who's done it. I met a composer at work who gave a great piece of advise,

"Never, ever tell people what your project is about until it's finished or else your idea loses it's power."

wow. i really like you!

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
aside from the blog thingie, i have a couple other writing projects on the go.

it's so hard with a 9-5 career, taking steps to possibly go to grad school (mba), i'm an active volunteer at a literacy organization and i'm on the board of a charity and in the midst of moving forward an event for this fall.

between all the above, going to the gym, seeing friends, it's quite hard.

but then i met a guy here at work who has written and published a novel. he told me he did all his writing on his commute and lunch breaks - i found that quite inspirational.

regardless, i'm going to accomplish everything i'm working on! no stopping me!

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
our theme camp for burning man is bunnyside station - a good place to get off. we are designing and building a bus stop that will be covered in fun fur, christmas lights and el wire. the benches in the bus stop will be crafted from old snowboards.

i've also got a newly gifted playa bike that needs to be covered in, yup, fun fur and el wire.

playa life = furry and blinky )'(

zoo

TRIBE Member
Outside of work, I study very nerdy stuff (technical and non), I mess around in Ableton, and I argue with friends over web start-ups (specifically, the ones we're perpetually brainstorming or developing, but never finishing).

I used to share DJ Mixes here, but haven't been compelled to create any new ones for 2 years now, nor am do I feel comepelled to share the details of my other endeavours. :)

Last edited:

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I took cooking classes in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, so I'm trying out new culinary delights regularly, getting better in the kitchen every day.

My mom and I are designing and making my wedding and bridesmaid dresses, so I'm learning a lot about fabric cuts and sewing. My best gal and are going to decorate them with swarovski crystal stick-ons and I'm making all the jewelery and accessories, so I'm having fun in bead and accessory shops.

I'm also about to embark on my 3rd real estate renovation cycle, so that'll be another creative outlet to keep me busy for a while.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I'm working on my one-man play entitled:

"only 90 minutes left before I can go home".

It's a piece I will perform to an unspecified audience and location at 4:30PM today.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Currently working on fabricating some security bars for my basement window and on the weekend a welding table with the new tig welder I bought...

I have a few electronic projects on the go as well...

Midifying a Tama Techstar drum brain...

Constructing a mono SIDbox synth from an old Commodore 64 sid synth chip...

Constructing a stereo Gain clone amplifier...

These projects go slow due to my 2 year old son... Once he's gone to bed I find myself too tired to work on this stuff...

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I've come to realize after quite a bit of thought that the greatest satisfactions in life come from setting good goals and then achieving them, having projects to work on and being able to see those projects come to fruition. The times when I've been the most down on myself and feeling direction-less have been the times that I haven't had good goals on the go.

My current project is to become a fucking fighter. I'm one and a half months into training (basically starting from scratch) and hope to have my first mixed martial arts (aka "UFC"-style) fight within two years.

I've got a mountain of shit to learn before I'm ready but I'm loving every training session.

Oh yeah and I've got a stupid blog now too to track progress and shit: http://intheredcorner.wordpress.com/

Last edited:

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I've come to realize after quite a bit of thought that the greatest satisfactions in life come from setting good goals and then achieving them, having projects to work on and being able to see those projects come to fruition. The times when I've been the most down on myself and feeling direction-less have been the times that I haven't had good goals on the go.

My current project is to become a fucking fighter. I'm one and a half months into training (basically starting from scratch) and hope to have my first mixed martial arts (aka "UFC"-style) fight within two years. [/url]

Word. I started training in Kung Fu about a year and a half ago, and so far I've earned my 2nd degree yellow belt. There's so much farther to go - orange, green, brown, blue, black - but it's so satisfying to set the goal for the next level, train hard for it, see the results and earn it.

At every level I think 'there's no way I can do what's required for that grading' but the persistence, patience and practice pays off - I think martial arts is fantastic for teaching that lesson.

Crass

TRIBE Member
Well mostly working on music/making tunes and mixes.

You'll find them in the mix section if you want to check them out.

Also starting to learn how to cook properly, i'm broke and tired of making simple dishes. I'm really getting the hang of it and really enjoying spending time in the kitchen. Maybe a new career is in store, tired of IT.

d.code

TRIBE Member
I think its pretty rad that there is a lot film making love in this thread.....

That was a good post Saskboy. And very true. Id love to remove my self a bit more from my world for a month and get all my scripts sorted out. I think I may just have to do this at some point.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Outside of work, I study very nerdy stuff (technical and non), I mess around in Ableton, and I argue with friends over web start-ups (specifically, the ones we're perpetually brainstorming or developing, but never finishing).

I used to share DJ Mixes here, but haven't been compelled to create any new ones for 2 years now, nor am do I feel comepelled to share the details of my other endeavours. :)

Keep doing them! We all listen to them!