• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What are you having for dinner?

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
To be honest, I've been rather self-disappointed with some of the more elaborate meals I've made lately, like that Biryani chicken, or homemade turkey soup from scratch (including the broth), all of which came out *ok*, but not *wow*.

However, that homestyle 3-cheese mac&cheese with bacon I made yesterday changed the game. That came out scarf-it-down super yummy. With leftovers!

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Just whipped up some homemade pizza for my daughter and I'm about to fire up the BBQ for some tasty burgers. Fresh buns from the bakery and ground beef from the butcher.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Just whipped up some homemade pizza for my daughter and I'm about to fire up the BBQ for some tasty burgers. Fresh buns from the bakery and ground beef from the butcher.
Food gone, belly full.

Unfortunately I have to go out tonight when all I want at this point is some quality time on the couch .

lucky1

TRIBE Member
My kid has been eating really good, but I've been eating pretty crap (not unhealthy, just really quick and easy food). I put effort into his food three times a day but don't feel like then making more food for me. Pea and rice puree and roast Turkey thighs for dinner... two of his favorite foods (turkey and peas)

He is 8 months now! all homemade food for him, but he is able to eat more regular food each week, 6 teeth now. Soon we can eat the same things.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Well for breakfast this morning I decided to whip up some scrambled eggs, and I decided to add some chunks of canned tuna and some chunks of Danish blue cheese to it.

Heads up: It was f*cking delicious.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Well, assessing my fridge situation, I realized I need to use up this sour cream, and these russet potatoes... so I found a nice recipe for crispy potato skins, that require both.
-a bit of an elaborate recipe, in terms of cooking times, but I went for it, and loaded up them roasted potato skins with diced red peppers and cherry tomatoes, and diced proscuitto, lots of shredded cheddar, and on some, a big dollop of salsa.
Served with a big dollop of sour cream on each.

A bit of a job, this one, but hey, in the end, it's Pub Food at it's finest.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
that bacon chicken loaf i just made is fucking deadly.
i substituted the dill for a Jalapeno cream cheese, and i brushed the top of it with mild salsa instead of soy.
deadly.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

Yesterday... Today
I went drunk grocery shopping.

I bought 72 Jamaica patties and 21 chicken breasts.

I bought 3 packages of Spinach and enough blue cheese to kill a Frenchman.

It's chicken curry for the foreseeable future.

No potatoes. No fruit. A metric tonne of sausages. Garlic sausages.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
18 packages of Michelinas.

Did I mention garlic sausage?

Pork chops. Enough to fill my freezer.

Two bottles of Peller Estates and 24 James Ready to wash it down. 2mg of clonazepam, 40mg of Latuda, and 10mg of olanzapine, just what the doctor ordered.

-jM
A&D

Last edited:

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Man, sometimes my local Intermarche grocer here has some insane specials.

Like this week, entire 10 lb watermelon for 2.99! A big one! That's gotta be a loss leader...

and whole chicken - 6$. And the one I bought is a big one, not a puny one.

Basically, a entire week's supplies of dinner meat and fruit for 9$. Although I'm not gonna be eating roasted chicken every night, that watermelon, damn right ima gonna be scarfing that down every morning.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
In fact, I realize some people hate the flyers (circulaires), and I get it. It's just more environmental paper waste.
However, I like them, and I check them every week, and make strategic notes to *buy on sale, only on sale, preferably half price*....
and, today, well....

Metro - Bacon - 3$
Provigo - Delissio Pizza - 3$. Kraft Singles - 3$. Oasis juice - 88cents x 2 = 2$ (more or less). Toilet paper - 12 double rolls cashmere - 4.50$ + tx.

Intermarche - 10 lb watermelon - 3$. Whole chicken - 6$. Vine Tomatoes on sale for 69 cents/lb - got 3 = 60 cents. Iceberg lettuce - 1.29$.
Milk - 1.80$

Sardines (x2) - 1.25$

and that's it. That my grocer/amenities bill for the week. Dodido, comes out to.... 30$. My pantry and fridge is already fully loaded, so I can get away with the 30$/ week food budget thing for the time being.

This whole food issue thing is interesting imo

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
What issue is that?
The fact that Canadians, as a nation, are among the most food-wasters on the planent. Around 42% of what Canadians purchase as food ends up in the trash (ie: google it)..

And that, in more remote regions, like the Northwest Territories, the food costs skyrocket. Ie: what I just bought today for 30$ would cost them around 200$ up there.

+ the fact that nations like France have recognized Grocer food waste as a problem, and have instituted that any food that grocers would otherwise discard be given to food banks first.

... It's an issue, guy. A many layered, complex issue...

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
We waste nearly nothing at our house. Even the stuff the kids don't eat gets served to them later.

Went camping last weekend and they literally gave us a 70L bag for our garbage. Thanks, but we're not staying for 3 weeks!

Of course food is expensive in the northwest territories. Same reason peppers are 5.99/lb in the winter here.

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
Throw in a bit of feta and this sounds like a great lunch!

I've been doing a tonne of chickpea salad lunches lately after discovering Alton Brown's Chickpea Recipe (I usually add a couple bay leaves and garlic cloves to the pot for added flavour) and buying a fairly cheap pressure cooker...no overnight soaking or cooking for hours. It's super easy to do, chickpeas freeze really well and they taste WAY better than the canned chickpeas. My current favourite is Vietnamese inspired. Chopped red and green pepper, spring onion, grated carrot, finely chopped fresh cilantro and mint with a nuoc cham style dressing (lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and chili). So good!

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
I go to a lot of effort to get my food, waste is not an option.

people with a 'hunter-gatherer' mentality tend not to be wasters. You know exactly the value of every part of that rabbit you just killed. (Ie: even the skin and bones can be used for stock).

But that's some old-skool shit. I'd like to think I'm a bit more cavalier (think outside the box) type of guy when it comes to this.

just cuz