• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What are you having for dinner?

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
leftover turkey drumstick, with quartered russet potatoes, carrots, onions, and diced apples, marinated in olive oil/balsamic + fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary and tarragon + minced garlic. baked then broiled for 1/2 hour.
... oh man, apples and turkey = #winning

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I was home alone tonight and made the ultimate comfort food: fried egg sandwich with ham, cheese lettuce and tomato. Fast, filling and proteinilicious.

mingster

TRIBE Member
we had comfort food too. bangers and mash, with beans and fried onions, and some coleslaw on the side.

and i was still hungry! i'm a bottomless pit.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Monday night we had sausage and rapini lasagna
Last night I made french onion soup, roast chicken sandwich for her and smoked back bacon sandwich for him.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Tonight I made Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious Chicken Nuggets for my non-veggie loving boy. I used a combination of beet & spinach purees to dredge the chicken pieces. I served them with Simon's Taro cake. The nuggets were great - moist & flavourful, though we had fun dipping them in a variety of sauces.

Tomorrow, leftover black bean tortillas.
Friday, something with ground chicken & ground pork (ideas?)

Also on deck - homemade pizzas - going to make homemade dough in the breadmaker (does anyone have a good recipe?) and a pork tenderloin - needs Simon's special terryaki marinade though.

futronic

TRIBE Member
For Friday, maybe make penne with ground pork, broccoli, and a healthy dose of chiles, tossed in olive oil, then hit with a good amount of Parmigiano after it comes off the heat?

-- Jay aka Fut

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Friday, something with ground chicken & ground pork (ideas?)
Last night I made tacos. Everyone likes tacos.

I make mine with pork, but I've made them with chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and even the fake meat the vegetarians will eat and it all tastes like tacos. Perhaps you can see where I'm going with this.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Last night I made tacos. Everyone likes tacos.

I make mine with pork, but I've made them with chicken, turkey, beef, lamb and even the fake meat the vegetarians will eat and it all tastes like tacos. Perhaps you can see where I'm going with this.
haha yeah, tacos are great with anything, but we're having black bean burritos tonight so I'd rather not do Mexican two days in a row - even though i do love it!

i love the tourtiere idea. i think i might try my hand at that!
searching for recipes now.

emiwee

TRIBE Member
For Friday, maybe make penne with ground pork, broccoli, and a healthy dose of chiles, tossed in olive oil, then hit with a good amount of Parmigiano after it comes off the heat?

-- Jay aka Fut
Haha. My "eat it for days when I'm poor" meal!!

@Brad: rapini and sausage lasagna. Yum. Howzit made?

sk8

TRIBE Member
alright, fridge stocked back up and back to cooking and meal planning after the vacationing.

Today it's dreary and slush is falling from the sky, so comfort food it is - roast pork loin, mashed potatoes, green beans and multicoloured tomatoes.

Tomorrow will be a mango-curry turkey in the slow cooker. Wednesday will be something easy with chicken breasts as I have to pack. Then I go on a hockey tournament for a few days and hubby and the girls get to eat things like lasagne for a treat LOL.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Rocked a slow roasted whole chicken yesterday with homemade stuffing. Didnt really have a clue but I think it worked, she seemed to enjoy it nicely.

Stuffing was a mixture of hot sausage, and mild sasuage, selection of herbs, shalots, celery, carrots, bread, eggs.

Some fingerling potatoes, and a nice salad.

Much left overs for the next few days.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Can you buy fondant? Like say you needed black fondant... in the shape of the batman symbol. I think that would be easier than black icing?

lucky1

TRIBE Member
You can buy fondant and then colour it.

My fiance's mom has a cake shop. I'm not sure where she gets her supplies, but I know you buy the fondant and then colour it. Or you can buy edible "paint" and paint it after you shape it and apply it to the cake (my birthday cake was silver coloured fondant)

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Here is a recipe for something after dinner.

Nutella Mug Cake
Posted by Angie McGowan on March 15th, 2011 at 4:19 pm

mug cake Nutella Mug Cake

I have been experimenting with different mug cakes every since I heard about them about a year ago. None of them have been winners. They were either too chewy, too dry, or not sweet enough. Well, I continued experimenting, and thought why not add some decadent Nutella into the mix. I modified the classic mug cake recipe, added Nutella, and a little more milk and oil than I had been using before. The results were beyond amazing. Finally, chocolate mug cake perfection, with a hint of Nutella flavor. This mug cake maybe a little high in fat, but it is the perfect decadence to help fulfill a chocolate craving after dinner. And the best thing about this dessert is that it’s quick and easy, and you can have it ready in under 5 minutes, start to finish.

I made these quick desserts today for my father and sister-in-law. They were the perfect thing to make for unexpected company. Thanks to my sister-in-law for posing as my hand model today showing off the ooey gooey goodness of the mug cake. She has beautiful, youthful hands, and the steadiness of a surgeon so I could get the perfect shot. If only she was around all the time. Sigh.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons self rising flour
4 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons Nutella
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

Method

1. Combine all ingredients in a large coffee mug. Whisk well with a fork until smooth. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 – 3 minutes. (Time depends on microwave wattage. Mine took 1 /2 minutes.) Top with whipped cream and a little chocolate sauce if desired.

2. Top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. Enjoy!

Note: Depending on the wattage of your microwave, you may have to increase cooking time.

Makes 1 very large serving.

Nutella Mug Cake | The Family Kitchen

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Thursday I was going to have chicken fingers and fries, but we were all out of fingers so I used strips of breast meat. Turned out pretty well, you couldn't tell the difference and breasts are cheaper than fingers (and much easier to de-bone!) so that's what I'm going to do from now on.

Friday I made center cut cod fillets, fried in rocky madsen's fish crisp. I also made yeller rice and 2 colour corn.

Saturday we had leftover tacos.

Sunday we had leftover pizza

Monday we had berkshire sausages, mashed potatoes and blanched and sauteed rapini with chilies and garlic

Yeasterday we had spaghetti bolognese.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
i love the tourtiere idea. i think i might try my hand at that!
searching for recipes now.
okay - so last Friday i made tourtiere - this recipe
i used 1lb pork and 1lb chicken
doubled all the spices (even the garlic) except for the salt as recommended by some of the reviewers
used a tenderflake deep dish crust

turned out to be quite authentic tasting (DH used to date a Fr. Can girl - so he could attest to its authenticity).

one thing that i did that the recipe didn't call for was to blend the meat mixture - like with a blender (food processor would work too). it was too chunky as is so i wanted it to be a bit more 'pasty'. the texture was pretty good as a result (didn't do it for too long at the risk of making pate). the only problem was that the meat crumbled out of the pie a fair bit when you took it out of the pie plate. Not sure what I could have done differently to help bind the meat? Thoughts? an egg? breadcrumbs?

Anyway - there was too much meat mixture so I made a secondary dish with steamed carrots and sour cream mashed potatoes on top - like shepards pie.
topped the mashed potato with some panko and butter and browned it up nicely. Can't wait for the leftovers tonight.

Tomorrow it will be make your own pizzas with homemade pizza dough.

Penny Lane

TRIBE Member
Monday night I made french onion soup with grilled chicken and roasted red pepper paninis.
Last night was meatloaf (1/2 pork, 1/2 veal) with parsnip puree and scalloped sweet potatoes.

Tonight it will be roast brined chicken with roast veg and potatoes.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
I need help from the foodies. Spent all day searching for a recipe that I saw online for cream sauce. Found it, finally. But now I've decided that I'd like to add spinach to it - a spinach cream sauce.

The problem I have with the regular old "Cream Sauce" searches is that they're all pretty bland and lacking any sort of flavor. Searching "Spinach Cream Sauce" is not proving easy either.

So what I'd like to do is add spinach to the sauce that looks totally scrum-delish and full of flavour - question is: Can I just add the spinach (fresh) or should I saute first, then add.

Help me foodie folk. Pleeeease. I got 20 minutes till cooking time.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Maybe too late, but blanch the spinach then rinse in cold water and squeeze it out. Then chop it up and add it to your sauce. Don't forget salt.

edit I am not a foodie

Last edited: