• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What are you having for dinner?

juice

TRIBE Member
Indeed. My GF loves it from her time there and got me thinking what is the closest we can get in Toronto so I can come home with a nice treat.

juice

TRIBE Member
Yes a tasting tour, I'll pair it with some ice cream :) Just wanted some feedback from some folks that might have been to some of these places. I've only been to Petite Thuet and Patachou and they were fine, not mind blowing or anything, although I'm not sure if Parisian Macaroons can be though. I like them but she loves them so I thought I should do the best I can.

mingster

TRIBE Member
i've never made them, but i've heard that they're pretty easy to make? even a 12-year-old can do it!

and you can drizzle them with chocolate.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
i feel pretty ghey asking this question, but i'm hopeless.

where can i buy chinese rice wine?

where can i buy dry cooking sherry?

i haven't been to find these items in the grocery store? is this normal?

i don't really want to go to china. town.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Should be able to get both at the LCBO. They contain alcohol so I'm pretty sure that's the only place you can get them?

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
rice wine or Shao-xing (pronounced "shaow-sing") you can get at T n' T and some loblaws. just try and avoid the shaoxing "cooking wine" variety as they add a boatload of additional salt to it.

dry sherry? just get the cheapest stuff at the 'L *shrugs*

p.s ramps are offically now in season motherbitches!!!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
What the hell are ramps?

Last night I made pan fried arctic char fillets with a lemon-cornmeal crust, sauteed chard and herbed rice pilaf.

Tonight was duck confit, mashed potatoes, carrots finished with browned butter and maple syrup and two colour corn. It was my first attempt at duck confit and I must say it turned out pretty fucking good. Just gotta work on crisping up the skin a tiny bit better next time

sk8

TRIBE Member
finally getting back in my routine and doing some cooking.

monday was chicken with honey-mustard glaze, rice and tomato-cucumber salad
tuesday was spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce
last night was pan-fried shrimp with fresh salsa, rice and broccoli.
tonight will be curried pork tenderloin, sweet potatoes and i think greenbeans, and maybe some garam masala naan bread.

now, if i can just keep up the planning and prep we might just break the pasta every second night cause i have no time trap LOL.

What I could really use is some spring/summer slow cooker ideas. Maybe some soups or something. I'm not a fan of the heavier stews when there is so much fresh stuff going on. I can't eat salad though, which really cuts down on my "quick and fresh" options.

That gives me an idea! Please suggest some salads that do not involve the following: lettuce or any other leafy greens, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, basically no raw stuff that's hard to digest LOL.

mingster

TRIBE Member
what about baby spinach and belgian endive?

i used these in a delicious orzo salad on tuesday. big hit, super tasty. mostly orzo, but with a little bit of crunch?

sk8

TRIBE Member
is the spinach cooked? I can't eat the raw spinach raw.

I can't picture endive - is that the light coloured long one?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

starr

TRIBE Member
Yes a tasting tour, I'll pair it with some ice cream :) Just wanted some feedback from some folks that might have been to some of these places. I've only been to Petite Thuet and Patachou and they were fine, not mind blowing or anything, although I'm not sure if Parisian Macaroons can be though. I like them but she loves them so I thought I should do the best I can.
I would try Nadege (Queen West) or maybe (big maybe) Le Gourmand (Spadina south of Queen).

Although I'm surprised Thuet isn't that great as his baked goods are pretty yum!

mingster

TRIBE Member
is the spinach cooked? I can't eat the raw spinach raw.

I can't picture endive - is that the light coloured long one?
yeah, it's the light coloured long one. looks a bit like a torpedo?

it, and the spinach are eaten raw in this salad though. : (

starr

TRIBE Member
Please suggest some salads that do not involve the following: lettuce or any other leafy greens, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, basically no raw stuff that's hard to digest LOL.
There've got to be a few in here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?_r=2

For example:
27. Cook whole, unpeeled eggplant in a dry, hot skillet or on a grill, turning occasionally, until completely collapsed and soft. Chop and toss with toasted pita, toasted pine nuts, cooked white beans and halved cherry tomatoes. Dress with olive oil, lemon juice and lots of black pepper. Or a (non-vegan) yogurt dressing is good, especially one laced with tahini.

I found this from 'another' place.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Oh - that does sound good and I can eat all those things!

I'll poke through that list - Plus I can always sub or leave out the things little things I can't eat like cheese and raw onion.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
f

What I could really use is some spring/summer slow cooker ideas. Maybe some soups or something. I'm not a fan of the heavier stews when there is so much fresh stuff going on. I can't eat salad though, which really cuts down on my "quick and fresh" options.

That gives me an idea! Please suggest some salads that do not involve the following: lettuce or any other leafy greens, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, basically no raw stuff that's hard to digest LOL.
we like tomatoe salad in my house. Tomatoes, fresh basil, some red onions, salt, a drizzle of balsamic viniger? You could add cucumbers but they bother my stomach so I don't eat them much.

Recently I discovered that I can roast a whole turkey breast in the slow cooker and it turns out really well. Just stick the breast in the slow cooker (i leave the skin on for flavour) pour in half a carton or so of stock ( i use organic veggie stock) add some salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, celery and carrots onions,some crushed garlics, and whatever seasoning you like and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 5-6 hours. I generally don't like white meat but I like it done this way as it's moist.

Since I've been sick, and we just moved my diet has been pretty bad, we are slowly getting unpacked and trying to eat healthy/ get back into a routine. I have decided to cut down on meat and eat more orgainic meat instead. I'm on a lot of steroids at the moment so when I do feel like eating it's usually sweets or not so healthy stuff! :|

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
* 3 tablespoons of dijon mustard
* half a cup of maple syrup
* tablespoon of light soy sauce
* some lemon juice
* some fresh orange juice (I use mandarin juice cause it's sweeter)
* chili flakes for heat
* salt and pepper to taste

toss in a shit load of salmon filets and let that baby marinate overnight. BBQ at 425 for 4-5 minutes a side and inhale that bitch.

so bloody good.

JLV

TRIBE Member
Last edited:

lucky1

TRIBE Member
* 3 tablespoons of dijon mustard
* half a cup of maple syrup
* tablespoon of light soy sauce
* some lemon juice
* some fresh orange juice (I use mandarin juice cause it's sweeter)
* chili flakes for heat
* salt and pepper to taste

toss in a shit load of salmon filets and let that baby marinate overnight. BBQ at 425 for 4-5 minutes a side and inhale that bitch.

so bloody good.
going to make this on the weekend thanx

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories