• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What are you having for dinner?

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i made a delicious marinated roast pork tenderloin, baby potatoes with dill and steamed green beans. and now i don't have to make lunch for the next week, which is maybe the best part.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
woo just finished 5 hours straight in the kitchen. Got my brine all ready for the corned beef, which is going into it tomorrow morning. Got some dough for cinnamon/caramel/raisin buns rising which I'll assemble after dinner and bake tomorrow morning. and finally for dinner I'm trying a new recipe for shepherd's pie 'cause I'm totally sick of the old one.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I wish I could find a restaurant that serves boerewors in Toronto

or somewhere downtown that carries biltong

Alex D, know anywhere that does this?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Another cooking spree this weekend, and now with more purpose than ever before:

- curried cauliflower & sweet potato soup
- szechuan tofu & veggies on pad thai rice noodles
- baked maple/soy/ginger salmon on loaded salad (spinach, romaine, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, red onion, raw broccoli and goat cheese - HELLO)
- kitchari (ayurvedic healing dish with mung beans, basmati and tons of spices)

We're also augmenting our existing smoothie routine with fresh juices, so the fridge is stocked with pre-cut beets, carrots, celery, garlic and I've got a small mountain of apples to put in the new juicer as well. I just wish the damn thing would clean itself.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mingster

TRIBE Member
i have a roast simmering in the crock pot today, and i was really looking forward to it, but i just realized that i didn't brown it before crocking it. >:|

why do i suck.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Lack of attention to detail? Depending how the roast looks when you get home maybe you make shredded beef sandwiches? Add some BBQ sauce and some coleslaw and you're set!

-- Jay aka Fut

sk8

TRIBE Member
Or you could just eat the beef. I often don't brown it for lack of time (or small children hanging off me in the morning) - it's not that big a deal.

mingster

TRIBE Member
yeah. i just put it together last night and kept it in the fridge until the morning, so i didn't even think about the browning step. i think it pisses me off mostly cause my crockpot roast is never as good as my mom's...and now i am reminded why.

you're right it's not a huge deal. it's mostly just chewier.

futronic

TRIBE Member
FML

how do you make shredded beef sammiches? shred the beef, brown it with some bbq sauce? make some gravy for dipping?
Don't even brown it. Slice it really thin and you can warm it in some bbq sauce (not too much). Even add some of the drippings from the crock pot to add extra beefy flavour.

Warm the buns in the oven, pack them with tasty beef and eat!

An alternative would be making Philly Cheesesteaks if you have some nice provolone and caramelized onions.

-- Jay aka Fut

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I could go for a philly cheesesteak.

Tonight I'm making pan roasted marinated flank steak with lots of pepper. Mashed potatoes, boston baked beans and carrots to go with.

Perhaps if there is leftover steak I can have that phillly cheesesteak after all... but I doubt there will be.

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
My Vietnamese flatmate (like, just off the boat) promised to teach me how to make homemade Pho!!! She gets an extra portion of my famous pork chops and pierogies ;)

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Hey Loress, can you go crabbing where you live? when I was a kid we'd tie chicken scraps to a string, throw it out and let it sit for a bit, and then slowly pull it back. Then we'd net them when they got close to shore.

sugar

TRIBE Member
More thighs and legs, less tasteless cardboard - errr, I mean boneless, skinless breasts.

-- Jay aka Fut
There certainly is no accounting for tastes. Chicken breast may taste like cardboard to you, but dark meat tastes like the meat is off to me.