• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

What are you having for dinner?

lucinda

TRIBE Member
last night I made a kick ass dish. lemon rind, chicken broth jalepeno pepers and tonnes of garlic with chicken and peppers served over sticky rice.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Last night - lamb burger with 3-year old cheddar, bbq'd pancetta, and all the fixin's. Corn with chiles and lime on the BBQ as well.

Went to Ed's afterwards for a waffle cone with Tahitian Vanilla Bean and Beech Chocolate Fudge Brownie. The Fudge Brownie one was meh, as the ice cream was vanilla with the chunks of brownie inside. I think it would be much better as chocolate with brownie.

-- Jay aka Fut

vox

TRIBE Member
just had brunch at kubo radio. it was pretty good. i had the "baked egg casserole" eggs florentine version, which when it arrived, was less smitty's mishmash breakfast skillet (as the wording had lead me to believe), and more (pedestrian) eggs florentine on a slice of thick cut toast. the boy had a breakfast sandwich, which was like a flat omelette stuffed in a soft sesame bun. both came with rosti. everything was a tad lacking in seasoning for me, but it was good and the price was fair, and they have a very lovely patio in the back.

for dessert i had a red velvet "babycake" cupcake, and a chocolate cupcake. cupcakes were moist, nice crumb, manageable size (although a tad overpriced at $3/per). the red velvet one with the cream cheese frosting was better than the chocolate, as they had fake buttercream that was slightly gritty.

i'm interested in trying their lunch/dinner items, especially the peking duck/chuck burger.

tonight i'm grilling knackers on the bbq, with leftover panzanella salad, white bean dip and chips, and strawberry rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream...OR i also made a peanut butter milk chocolate chunk ice cream which is VERY tasty.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

vox

TRIBE Member
couldn't find any knackers yesterday, so i grilled a ribeye i had in the freezer, and two lamb shoulder chops (rubbed one side with harissa). very tasty, and the panzanella just gets better the next day.

tonight i'm packing a grilled vegetable (zucchini, eggplant, roasted pepper, tomato, provolone) sandwich on ace focaccia.

vox

TRIBE Member
double post! i made a pan bagnat sandwich again (fast becoming my favorite): blanched green beans, roasted orange pepper, tomato, hard boiled egg slices, and a spicy olive tapenade on ace demi-baguette.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Last night I went with 6 others from work to North 44. For an app, I had heirloom tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella, arugula, basil, fine olive oil and aged balsamic. Very good. The cheese melted in your mouth.
For the main, I had alaska black cod in a miso glaze, soy beans, "smashed" potatoes (more like a creamy warm potato salad) and wilted bok choy. The cod was innnnnnnnncredibly tender and just flaked off from itself so easily.
The table had 2 bottles of wine - one was about $42 and the other $72, both red (a chianti and an amarone (sp?)) - and I had 2 glasses of pinot grigio. We ordered 3 desserts between all of us. Everyone had an app and a main, and the total for 7 people was only $691 which was low considering what we had been expecting.

I can't say the meal compared to the dinner I had at Chiado though, which is still by far the most impressive dining experience I've ever had.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Last night I made tagliatelle with shrimp, asparagus, strawberry tomatoes, garlic, fresh chiles, lemon rind, and parsley.

It was yummy.

Today I'm BBQing at the office for lunch. Yes, in the rain.

-- Jay aka Fut

Vise

TRIBE Member
Stopped by Cumbrae's on the way home from work yesterday and grabbed some burgers, sausages, their awesomely expensive scalloped potatoes, and some other bits and pieces. Also picked up one of their amazing steak, stilton, and guiness pies for dinner tonight (lazy man's good eats). Anyways, last night had veal burgers with carmelized onion & pancetta alongside the previously mentioned scalloped potatoes. Kickass to say the least... I'm glad Cumbrae's isn't any closer or I'd go broke grabbing dinner from there every night. :)

Craigee

TRIBE Member
Lamb sausages from the local organic butcher and some frsh dug potatoes that I bought from the farmer's market. Need a veggie, though...

evil homer

TRIBE Member
Nice little party lhere last night, a few more people came then initially expected but there was plenty of food and wine. Basically I just put out a ton of small plates and put them on our low table, everyone sat on the floor and on cushions, Haven't thrown a soiree like this since we moved to our new place last year.

the food:
-hot salty almonds
-olives
-garlic scapes cooked down with vermouth and finished with some raw garlic, lemon juice and parsley
-soft spread of brebis, roasted chilis, feta and oregano (this was insanely hot)
-fava spread with roasted garlic and some pinenuts
-roasted peppers
-olive oil poached artichokes (just served these plain, they were fantastic)
-roasted asparagus, finished with a grating of truffled pecorino
-panzanella with cubes of sourdough, tomato, basil, and shavings from those young leeks (this was many peoples favourites)
-dry italian sausage seared off and then deglazed with a fair bit of cider vinegar (this was everyone else's favourite)
-serrano ham
-A wedge of manchego and another of cabrales

-Strawberries in a hot pan with some butter, add rum, light on fire, pour over ice cream.

Drank a lot of wine, highlights though were the 04 Vineland Sauv Blanc, gotta grab a few more of these, and a 98 Ch Julien Merlot (from Sonoma) which was soft and supple, but thick with blueberries and a good streak of oak.

vox

TRIBE Member
biggups chorizo sizzled in cider!

i've been plowing through jose andres "tapas" cookbook, that my buddy at work loaned to me. that guy is fucking SEEERIOOUS.

tonight is eggplant bharta with a little unorthodox coconut milk tossed in, alongside steamed rice. and these california "tree-ripened" peaches we've been getting at work that surprisingly don't suck. and ontario strawberries, which unequivocably don't suck. and an altaufo mango, which is the king of the land of don't suck

aether

TRIBE Member
I'm currently thoroughly enjoying a bowl of the most heretical chicken tonkatsu ever.

* steam rice
* bake chicken fingers
* slice chicken fingers for presentation purposes
* apply tonkatsu sauce.

(lazy + hungry!)

sk8

TRIBE Member
a long, long time ago we were discussing ice cream and i was complaining about mine going all icey and hard due to lack of being able to use cream or whole milk. Vox suggested corn starch and I just wanted to let her know that it worked really well. thank you.

vox

TRIBE Member
sk8 said:
a long, long time ago we were discussing ice cream and i was complaining about mine going all icey and hard due to lack of being able to use cream or whole milk. Vox suggested corn starch and I just wanted to let her know that it worked really well. thank you.
yay! you're welcome! is there anything the dinner thread CAN'T DO?!?

vox

TRIBE Member
tonight, pre-sharon jones (!!!!!!!!), i'm making grilled knackwurst (i've had a massive craving lately), with macaroni pasta salad (chopped celery, red pepper, red onions, scallion mayo) and a roasted tomato, olive, balsamic, white bean salad.

strawberry shortcakes with ontario strawberries and loads of whipped cream for dessert.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
i have been ridiculously lazy this week - it's been pretty pathetic, but luckily also tasty. monday night i had new ho king delivery at a friend's house (i was tipsy so i couldn't even tell you what we had, but there was a lot of deep-fried stuff). tuesday night i had saag paneer and eggplant bharta with raita from kathmandu. last night i had a greek salad and fries and gravy from dangerous dan's.

tonight i'm finally cooking. we're having a steak salad with watercress, cilantro, baby greens, tomato, cucumber and green onions with a lime-ginger-fish sauce dressing, with steamed jasmine rice. strawberry rhubarb crumble with irish whiskey butter or vanilla ice cream if there are any weirdos in attendance who don't like irish whiskey.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Vegetable medley, consisting of red/yellow peppers, mushrooms & onions...on top of a HEAP of rice...with soya sauce.

yum.